Cocktail Hour 2019

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

27 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

My buddy sent this recipe to me a few months. I decided this is the morning I finally try it. I gotta say, it's pretty darn good. 

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/churchill-s-breakfast-cocktail

I find Maple syrup is almost always a good match with good bourbon.  Fig preserves works wonders also in bourbon.

Never tried the cinnamon sticks, but sounds good.

1 hour ago, Bret Bret said:

I find Maple syrup is almost always a good match with good bourbon.  Fig preserves works wonders also in bourbon.

Never tried the cinnamon sticks, but sounds good.

The cinnamon I have is really old, so I likely got less from it than fresher sticks. Overall it was really good. I'll have to get some fig preserves.

Having a cocktail (Manhattan with Cherry Heering in lieu of vermouth) while listening to music and enjoying a beautiful evening. Damn mosquitoes are trying to ruin it. 

20190803_191404.jpg

Simple highball with my Zaxby’s Chicken dinner.  Beam DO and the spicy Blenheim’s Red Cap Ginger Ale.  I’m not the biggest fan of the red cap, as it can dominate most whiskies, and it’s uncomfortable to drink some times.  But, I need something to cut through the brain  fog left courtesy of a ridiculously busy day, and a hot and very humid early evening...

98C36EAD-AE6D-466A-8DA1-23DA643D9C58.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe

• 2 weeks later...

The last couple of weeks have been taking advantage of some fresh mint, switching between Mojitos (swapping rum for whiskey) and Mint Juleps.  Tonight had a hankering for a good ol' Old Fashioned.  Went with some FRSB Blend (all 10 recipes) as the whiskey base.  Simply delicious on a hot southern Saturday night!

ECBP B519, Gran Gala, Woodford aromatic bitters, 2 pitted-sliced bing cherries, plenty of ice and 88 degrees.

Oh boy...

0820191532c.jpg

My wife and I had Moscow Mules on a hot afternoon, yesterday. They were very good, but not quite as good as ones we had in a restaurant in Bon Secour, AL last week. It was probably just from different brands of Ginger Beer. We used Gosling's, theirs tasted like Buffalo Rock, an old fashioned Alabama ginger ale.

Edited by ratcheer
typo correction

16 hours ago, dad-proof said:

Hive mind:

IMG_20190829_202838.thumb.jpg.6257fb8c8452b7a3f6ed32e63ef0f201.jpg

Hmm, rye, amaretto and akvavit. That is an interesting combination. Not to mention a rather unusual font choice for the menu!

Happy hour of ciliegine (mozzarella balls) with basil leaf and cherry tomatoes on a toothpick dressed with dribbled basalmic vinegar.  Drink was a St. Charles Punch from the Montgomery County MD liquor & wine store holiday brochure for 2013IMG_0599.thumb.JPG.ce775236023fefc4b8ee3d15cd26e7d3.JPG/2014.

1 OZ brandy (I used Hennessey VS)

1/2 OZ triple sec (I used Patron Citronge to finish off the bottle)

1 tsp simple syrup

juice of 1/2 large lemon or 1 small lemon (LESS A SLICE FOR GARNISH LATER)

3 OZ tawny port (I used Warre's OTIMA but have used Whiskers Blake to good effect)

Shake the first four ingredients with ice.

Pour into a shorter than average Collins glass (mine are 7.5 OZ)

Add maybe six-eight cubes.

Pour the port slowly into the glass so it sort of floats on top.  Don't get too anal about this like by using a spoon back; it doesn't need to stay unmixed.

Put the lemon slice in.

This was followed by grilled filets, grilled homegrown squash, and baked potato wedges.

EDIT - The Fee bottles have nothing to do with this drink.  I just haven't found a space to store them.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
Clarify why them Fee bottles is there.
  • I like it 3

Lazy Sunday evening in Ohio. Relaxing on the patio enjoying this:

My favorite rocks glass, a fat cube, several ounces of MM46, several splashes of strawberry  bitters, a little bit of simple syrup, and a couple fresh strawberries. 

20190901_182427.jpg

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

Lazy Sunday evening in Ohio. Relaxing on the patio enjoying this:

My favorite rocks glass, a fat cube, several ounces of MM46, several splashes of strawberry  bitters, a little bit of simple syrup, and a couple fresh strawberries. 

20190901_182427.jpg

After a typical hot and humid summer, late August and September tended to always be my favorite time for weather in Ohio. Perfect patio weather.

• I like it 1

On 8/31/2019 at 9:16 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Happy hour of ciliegine (mozzarella balls) with basil leaf and cherry tomatoes on a toothpick dressed with dribbled basalmic vinegar.  Drink was a St. Charles Punch from the Montgomery County MD liquor & wine store holiday brochure for 2013IMG_0599.thumb.JPG.ce775236023fefc4b8ee3d15cd26e7d3.JPG/2014.

1 OZ brandy (I used Hennessey VS)

1/2 OZ triple sec (I used Patron Citronge to finish off the bottle)

1 tsp simple syrup

juice of 1/2 large lemon or 1 small lemon (LESS A SLICE FOR GARNISH LATER)

3 OZ tawny port (I used Warre's OTIMA but have used Whiskers Blake to good effect)

Shake the first four ingredients with ice.

Pour into a shorter than average Collins glass (mine are 7.5 OZ)

Add maybe six-eight cubes.

Pour the port slowly into the glass so it sort of floats on top.  Don't get too anal about this like by using a spoon back; it doesn't need to stay unmixed.

Put the lemon slice in.

This was followed by grilled filets, grilled homegrown squash, and baked potato wedges.

EDIT - The Fee bottles have nothing to do with this drink.  I just haven't found a space to store them.

Citronge is basically a triple sec likely made with cheap NGS base, not a tequila base (Allbeit a pricey one that nobody should ever buy more than once because it just isn't very good. Kind of like Patron itself!), so that isn't too much of a stretch but what the heck is the "Fee Foam" for??? 

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Citronge is basically a triple sec likely made with cheap NGS base, not a tequila base (Allbeit a pricey one that nobody should ever buy more than once because it just isn't very good. Kind of like Patron itself!), so that isn't too much of a stretch but what the heck is the "Fee Foam" for??? 

The Patron was a gift from someone close to me who read about it in an advert.  She liked the frosted bottle.  I don't buy Patron tequila, either, regardless of how frosted the bottle is.

The orgeat syrup was on her shopping list for some (cooking) recipe she wants to try, and the Fee Foam was right next to it at Wegmans so she bought it, too, for me to try.  Best as I can tell from the ingredients and the bottle notes, it can be used as a substitute for egg white to make a drink "frothy".  Water is the first ingredient, propylene glycol is the second, and polysorbate 80 is the third (look up those last two on Wiki for some really fun reading).  Unless one of you convinces me otherwise, this is going in the back of the small additive bottle stash where it shall reside until it "expires".  I shall not risk 45+ years of marriage by openly disparaging this thoughtful gift.  Besides, egg whites and dry shaking work fairly well, and we have lots of those because she loves to bake things calling for yolks only.

ASIDE - I sure hope she doesn't read my SB posts.?

• I like it 1

Harry,

That sounds like a great punch recipe.  I think I'll try it one day.

Did you know the word punch comes from the Hindi word for the number five?

Above recipe has five ingredients.

17 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

The Patron was a gift from someone close to me who read about it in an advert.  She liked the frosted bottle.  I don't buy Patron tequila, either, regardless of how frosted the bottle is.

The orgeat syrup was on her shopping list for some (cooking) recipe she wants to try, and the Fee Foam was right next to it at Wegmans so she bought it, too, for me to try.  Best as I can tell from the ingredients and the bottle notes, it can be used as a substitute for egg white to make a drink "frothy".  Water is the first ingredient, propylene glycol is the second, and polysorbate 80 is the third (look up those last two on Wiki for some really fun reading).  Unless one of you convinces me otherwise, this is going in the back of the small additive bottle stash where it shall reside until it "expires".  I shall not risk 45+ years of marriage by openly disparaging this thoughtful gift.  Besides, egg whites and dry shaking work fairly well, and we have lots of those because she loves to bake things calling for yolks only.

ASIDE - I sure hope she doesn't read my SB posts.?

Understood! I know what the Fee Foam is for, but as you note it is a poor, and heavily chemical, substitute for an egg white. Just wasn't sure what it was for in this drink. But now I understand the important part is recognizing that it was the thought that counts!

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Understood! I know what the Fee Foam is for, but as you note it is a poor, and heavily chemical, substitute for an egg white. Just wasn't sure what it was for in this drink. But now I understand the important part is recognizing that it was the thought that counts!

BTW, thanks for the nudge on dry shaking a couple years ago.  I'd gotten lazy and for years just shook everything at once.  It's amazing how dry shaking improves the look and "feel" of egg white cocktails, and the additional effort of shaking THEN adding ice really isn't that much of a burden.B)

RE: this particular cocktail, the Foam bottle appeared in the photo because I forgot to move it, not because I was using it.  It is now safely (and almost permanently) out of sight, out of mind.

• 2 weeks later...

From Regan’s “The Joy of Mixology”, I sit down to end the week with the “Bensonhurst”.  

2 oz Rye 

1 oz Dry Vermouth

1/3 oz Maraschino Liqueur 

1 barspoon Cynar

Shaken and strained into a chilled coupe cocktail glass.

I’ll echo Regan’s comments on what makes this cocktail work:

“The dry vermouth and maraschino waltz well with the whiskey here, but it’s that barspoon of Cynar that brings this drink to the finish line.”

70993236-9AE4-490E-B784-F28F5C633BD2.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

From Regan’s “The Joy of Mixology”, I sit down to end the week with the “Bensonhurst”.  

2 oz Rye 

1 oz Dry Vermouth

1/3 oz Maraschino Liqueur 

1 barspoon Cynar

Shaken and strained into a chilled coupe cocktail glass.

I’ll echo Regan’s comments on what makes this cocktail work:

“The dry vermouth and maraschino waltz well with the whiskey here, but it’s that barspoon of Cynar that brings this drink to the finish line.”

[Harry deleted the picture to save space for some unknown reason.  He just did it.  Even HE (i.e., I) don't know why.]

Funny about this.  We've had several Cynar cocktails this week - Cynar Manhattan, a rum and Cynar concoction, and tonight a  Vialiere (Saveur Magazine # 169 NOV 2014) - 1 OZ each of bourbon (not rye), Cynar, and sweet vermouth.  Put them in an OF glass and add ice and an orange wheel..

FWIW, our Cynar Manhattan recipe is a lot like your Bensonhurst - just substitute red V for white V and add some Ang bitters and use rye.  These are FINE drinks.  Cynar is underappreciated.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

4 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Funny about this.  We've had several Cynar cocktails this week - Cynar Manhattan, a rum and Cynar concoction, and tonight a  Vialiere (Saveur Magazine # 169 NOV 2014) - 1 OZ each of bourbon (not rye), Cynar, and sweet vermouth.  Put them in an OF glass and add ice and an orange wheel..

FWIW, our Cynar Manhattan recipe is a lot like your Bensonhurst - just substitute red V for white V and add some Ang bitters and use rye.  These are FINE drinks.  Cynar is underappreciated.

Yessir, Harry. Very under appreciated.  Luckily for me, TANSTAAFL2 introduced “Sinar” (my pronunciation, not his, of course) :D  to me a couple years ago, and I have been a fan since.  Great in cocktails.  

11 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Yessir, Harry. Very under appreciated.  Luckily for me, TANSTAAFL2 introduced “Sinar” (my pronunciation, not his, of course) :D  to me a couple years ago, and I have been a fan since.  Great in cocktails.  

Bottom of the 8th, ATL 5, Nats 0.  PLEASE don't shut us out.:o  I'll have to switch to something tougher.:ph34r:

3 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Bottom of the 8th, ATL 5, Nats 0.  PLEASE don't shut us out.:o  I'll have to switch to something tougher.:ph34r:

Not even thinking shutout.  I’m just hoping for no 9th inning from Nats like they had last week v. Mets. ;)

Going a little Fall Y’all, this afternoon.  

Apple Sour Bourbon Cocktail

2oz Bourbon 

1-1/4oz Apple Juice

3/4oz Grand Marnier

1/4oz Lemon Juice

Couple dashes Regan’s Orange Bitters

Shake with ice and strain into coupe glass

Garnish with lemon peel

Nice, but I think I’ll go with an unfiltered apple cider next time to give it a little more fibery appleishesness.  Yeah, I invented that. 

A2F045ED-B70A-4DFF-A42F-A3DA661372C6.jpeg

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Rum Manhattan: 2 ozs 12 year old Doorly's; 1 oz Cocchi Di Torino Vermouth; 2 dashes Angostura bitters, Luxardo cherry and pineapple chunk on the toothpick. Really fantastic.  Perfect stage for all the depth and flavor of the Doorly's 12.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.