Cocktail Hour 2019

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Elderflower old fashioned tonight.  Usually what I do with bourbon I don't care for and Dickel fit that bill.  Couldn't get past the vitamin smell.

2 oz. Bourbon 

1 oz elderflower

3 dashes bitters

Lemon twist

That is alot of elderflower but it doesn't seem to overpower to the bourbon.

IMG_20191019_165852764.jpg

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing better than an outside fire on a cold evening, is an outside fire on a sunny and cool afternoon.  A little leaf raking, turkey breast on the smoker, Chiefs and Vikings on the radio, and a Red Hook cocktail.  Knob Creek Rye really holds up well in cocktails.   

04FEFEF9-E5AB-4ABD-B47F-63CB0AE0D276.jpeg

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

The only thing better than an outside fire on a cold evening, is an outside fire on a sunny and cool afternoon.  A little leaf raking, turkey breast on the smoker, Chiefs and Vikings on the radio, and a Red Hook cocktail.  Knob Creek Rye really holds up well in cocktails.   

04FEFEF9-E5AB-4ABD-B47F-63CB0AE0D276.jpeg

The kissing cousin of The Martinez.... Do you do a 2 oz rye / .5 Punt e Mes / .5 oz Maraschino ?  Or....? 

I'm enjoying a Pikesville Rye Manhattan w Cocchi de Torino Vermouth.... 2:1.  I bounce between Pikesville and Wild Turkey 101 Rye for my Manhattans and I think I'd rather give you my truck than have to choose between 'em!  

39 minutes ago, Steven C said:

The kissing cousin of The Martinez.... Do you do a 2 oz rye / .5 Punt e Mes / .5 oz Maraschino ?  Or....? 

I go a little heavier on the Rye, and a bit less on the maraschino, just to keep it Whiskey forward and less sweet.  

• I like it 1

I made a Boulevardier cocktail, recently. It is kind of a cross between a Manhattan cocktail and a Negroni. 2 oz bourbon, 1 oz sweet vermouth, 1 oz Campari. Stirred with ice, then strained onto fresh ice. Interesting, but quite bitter.

On 11/4/2019 at 8:12 AM, ratcheer said:

I made a Boulevardier cocktail, recently. It is kind of a cross between a Manhattan cocktail and a Negroni. 2 oz bourbon, 1 oz sweet vermouth, 1 oz Campari. Stirred with ice, then strained onto fresh ice. Interesting, but quite bitter.

Next time go 2:1 bourbon to Campari and it will be less bitter. 

I did. See the recipe in my post: 2 oz bourbon, 1 oz Campari (and 1 oz sweet vermouth).

Yes, if I make it again, I will use even less Campari.

3 hours ago, ratcheer said:

I did. See the recipe in my post: 2 oz bourbon, 1 oz Campari (and 1 oz sweet vermouth).

Yes, if I make it again, I will use even less Campari.

Whoops! Read this too fast on a small device.

Did you add an orange peel twist? The citrus helps with the bitterness.

Try some Campari substitutes such as Rosso Amaro or Contratto both of which I find to be a bit less bitter than Campari.

A bigger step would be to try Aperol.

• I like it 1

Local friends know that I enjoy baking and incorporating raisins or Craisins that have been soaked in bourbon (or rye, or whatever).  I recently made some Pumpkin Spice cookies with bourbon-soaked Craisins, and this time saved the craisiny whiskey.  After some searching, I found some inspiration:  Cranberry Bourbon Fizz.  Recipe is basically 2 oz bourbon, 2 oz cranberry juice, and 4 oz ginger beer.  Well, figuring that 3 oz of Craisin-infused bourbon takes care of the first two, and upping the ginger beer to 6 oz (using Fiery, which is one of my fav ginger beers).  Result is a delicious, and may lead me to soaking more Craisins than is reasonable for one household ;)  

• I like it 3

It's a Vieux Carrie day.  It is because of this drink that I go through rye so quickly.  I always have a hard time finding handles of rye, or at least the ones I prefer.

IMG_20191108_160212714.jpg

On 11/6/2019 at 1:31 PM, flahute said:

Whoops! Read this too fast on a small device.

Did you add an orange peel twist? The citrus helps with the bitterness.

Try some Campari substitutes such as Rosso Amaro or Contratto both of which I find to be a bit less bitter than Campari.

A bigger step would be to try Aperol.

Aperol is too sweet and orangey for me. Try finding some Averna and use that to replace the Campari. Can also use Averna to replace the vermouth in a standard Manhattan to make a "Black Manhattan". Ever so lovely!

Edited by tanstaafl2
  • I like it 1

Kind of a mix between the two with a lot less Campari (or Bruto which is even better!).

Amaro Manhattan

1 oz Rye
1 oz Averna
1 oz Sweet vermouth, Carpano Antica Formula
1/2 teaspoon Campari
1 Maraschino cherry, Luxardo

Stir, strain, straight up, cocktail glass, garnish

• I like it 1

These Manhattan/Boulevardier/Negroni variations are wonderful.  Tonight's home happy hour before shakeandbake pork chops was a Saratoga, thanks to Jason Wilson.

One ounce each of 100 proof rye (OF tonight), Hennessey Cognac (or similar" homogenized but good quality" brandy), and sweet Vermouth (I used Dolins, and a lemon slice floated in it; I was out of Capitoline SV which is local to WDC), some Angostura bitters. We drank ours over ice although serving it up would be fancier.

FWIW, after reading T's Amaro Manhattan recipe, I decided it is time to replace my empty Carpano Antica.  I miss it.  It DOES have attributes not found in basic sweet vermouths or even Capitoline which we like.  EDIT - I just wish it came in 375s like M&R and Dolins - bar fridge space is limited.

EDIT again - Wife wants to know:  Do "they" put crack cocaine in ShakenBake mix?:o

Edited by Harry in WashDC

58 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

EDIT again - Wife wants to know:  Do "they" put crack cocaine in ShakenBake mix?:o

You're takin' me back...a long time ago....

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

FWIW, after reading T's Amaro Manhattan recipe, I decided it is time to replace my empty Carpano Antica.  I miss it.  It DOES have attributes not found in basic sweet vermouths or even Capitoline which we like.  EDIT - I just wish it came in 375s like M&R and Dolins - bar fridge space is limited.

Carpano Antica does come in a 375  ml bottle. Just have to try to get your store to carry it or find one that does!

• I like it 1

My second woodpile stand fell over last week, so had to do some restacking.  Keeping with my drinking theme today, I’m going with a cocktail named for something notorious.  So, it’s none other than the SmokinMuthahFuckinJoe.  :D

3760CBBD-103A-4B33-B226-3D6F13350380.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 11/10/2019 at 3:03 PM, smokinjoe said:

My second woodpile stand fell over last week, so had to do some restacking.  Keeping with my drinking theme today, I’m going with a cocktail named for something notorious.  So, it’s none other than the SmokinMuthahFuckinJoe.  :D

3760CBBD-103A-4B33-B226-3D6F13350380.jpeg

For those of us with faulty memories (and you know who you are, but I don't remember who you are), and for those of us who have no idea what the recipe is but would like to know, SmJ posted this cocktail's recipe circa SEP 2016 here on SB in a cocktail thread (don't remember the specific "Topic").  According to a hard copy of that recipe I put in my 3X5 card cocktail file, it is -

1.5 oz. bourbon like BT

0.5 oz. aged rum agricole

0.5 oz. Cynar

0.5 oz. sloe gin

0.5 oz. creme de cacao

3 dashes Angostura bitters

Stir with ice in a shaker and strain and serve up as in the picture above.

EdIt - This can be made ahead of time (but not TOO far ahead) as a batch for pre-dinner cocktails.  Mix everything but the ice and cover tightly.  About 15 minutes before the humans arrive, go ahead and add SOME ice to the pitcher and stir a little.  Serve up.  OR, don't add ice and pour servings as needed into small Old Fashioned glasses over ice.  We have Christmas Eve dinner for family and friends, and I do a gin-base pre-mix and a bourbon-base pre-mix.  Last Christmas, this was the bourbon-base.  It was a hit.  WATCH the creme de cacao, though, as some of the cheaper brands make it too sweet when the recipe is grossed up.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
UNPAID ENDORSEMENT!!

18 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

For those of us with faulty memories (and you know who you are, but I don't remember who you are), and for those of us who have no idea what the recipe is but would like to know, SmJ posted this cocktail's recipe circa SEP 2016 here on SB in a cocktail thread (don't remember the specific "Topic").  According to a hard copy of that recipe I put in my 3X5 card cocktail file, it is -

1.5 oz. bourbon like BT

0.5 oz. aged rum agricole

0.5 oz. Cynar

0.5 oz. sloe gin

0.5 oz. creme de cacao

3 dashes Angostura bitters

Stir with ice in a shaker and strain and serve up as in the picture above.

EdIt - This can be made ahead of time (but not TOO far ahead) as a batch for pre-dinner cocktails.  Mix everything but the ice and cover tightly.  About 15 minutes before the humans arrive, go ahead and add SOME ice to the pitcher and stir a little.  Serve up.  OR, don't add ice and pour servings as needed into small Old Fashioned glasses over ice.  We have Christmas Eve dinner for family and friends, and I do a gin-base pre-mix and a bourbon-base pre-mix.  Last Christmas, this was the bourbon-base.  It was a hit.  WATCH the creme de cacao, though, as some of the cheaper brands make it too sweet when the recipe is grossed up.

Traditionally the rum is Smith & Cross not agricole. Although a good agricole might make a nice variation. I cannot recommend highly enough the Plymouth Sloe gin over the typical overly sweet sloe gins like Dekuper found in most liquor stores. The Plymouth is worth seeking out! 

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

According to a hard copy of that recipe I put in my 3X5 card cocktail file, 

. . . And another valuable lesson learned from DC Harry!

On 11/13/2019 at 4:56 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Traditionally the rum is Smith & Cross not agricole. Although a good agricole might make a nice variation. I cannot recommend highly enough the Plymouth Sloe gin over the typical overly sweet sloe gins like Dekuper found in most liquor stores. The Plymouth is worth seeking out! 

I have had this cocktail (w the Plymouth!) and it truly is a great one.  All points o' the compass.  Buffalo Trace is a great choice for the bourbon, think it has the stiff upper lip and body to match that holds all the rest of this bouillabaisse, TOGETHER.  

On 11/13/2019 at 5:56 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Didn't post earlier about this but decided I, too, would weigh in.  YEARS ago, I learned that Plymouth Sloe Gin is worth finding.  NONE of the alternative sloe gins, and there are not all that many, come close.  For example, in a sloe gin fizz, I always use Plymouth Sloe Gin AND add a little Plymouth Gin to the mix just to boost the proof a bit.

Uh, I ran out of S&C which is how I found out St. James Rhum Blanc worked well.

• I like it 1

Short weeks are weird, and this one had its moments. But it ended better than I had reason to imagine, so with the intent of continuing that theme...

Adjustments.jpg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.