Cocktail Hour 2019

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, evasive said:

Short weeks are weird, and this one had its moments. But it ended better than I had reason to imagine, so with the intent of continuing that theme...

Adjustments.jpg

@evasive, wow, I have so RARELY seen a Hamm's beer glass in years! I love it when I see one.

Cheers,

Nancy

[mention=14718]evasive[/mention], wow, I have so RARELY seen a Hamm's beer glass in years! I love it when I see one.

Cheers,
Nancy

Thanks! I also have a Pabst and a Falstaff, but I usually reach for the Hamm’s.
  • I like it 1

11 hours ago, evasive said:

Thanks! I also have a Pabst and a Falstaff, but I usually reach for the Hamm’s.

...'From the land of sky-blue waters'... whatever that ever meant.   

I always thought of Hamm's as a better version of the beer that Altes tried to be; but didn't quite get done, though Altes was invariably a light, easy-drinking, inexpensive beer, at a time when I appreciated all those qualities.

...'From the land of sky-blue waters'... whatever that ever meant.   
I always thought of Hamm's as a better version of the beer that Altes tried to be; but didn't quite get done, though Altes was invariably a light, easy-drinking, inexpensive beer, at a time when I appreciated all those qualities.

I always thought of Hamm’s as Pabst’s Busch, but it was the right price when I was doing graduate field work. It was my go-to.

On 11/15/2019 at 3:18 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Didn't post earlier about this but decided I, too, would weigh in.  YEARS ago, I learned that Plymouth Sloe Gin is worth finding.  NONE of the alternative sloe gins, and there are not all that many, come close.  For example, in a sloe gin fizz, I always use Plymouth Sloe Gin AND add a little Plymouth Gin to the mix just to boost the proof a bit.

Uh, I ran out of S&C which is how I found out St. James Rhum Blanc worked well.

I made this drink some time ago and will try to revisit it this weekend .  Thanksgiving coming up and all. Might be just the thing for Bears vs. Lions.  ....Something audacious and strong to take my mind off the TERRIBLE FOOTBALL.

I've been on a low carb diet since January which has massively curtailed my ability to participate in this thread. It's been worth it as I've lost 40lbs. so no complaints.

I still have about 10 lbs. to lose but my plan all along has been to loosen up for Thanksgiving through the end of year because there's just too much goodness during that time of year.

I don't want to shock the system all at once so I started to transition a bit today which included a boulevardier and damn how I've missed that drink and a good Negroni. 

There will be many of these in my future until the end of the year.

• I like it 4

The wife and I had our own low-key Thanksgiving yesterday.  She started red beans and andouille sausage in the crockpot Wednesday night.  I picked up some t-bones from a local butcher shop.  After prepping the steaks and getting the grill ready, I made Old Fashioneds.  Muddled a sugar cube, 3 dashes of Angostura bitters and a bar spoon of bottled water in each glass until I smelled the aromatics and had a nice syrup.  I've been using Rittenhouse, but I had a bottle of Pikesville Rye that needed opening.  Stirred in the Pikesville (1.5oz), added a large cube to each glass and stirred some more.  Squeezed peels of a blood orange and dropped in each glass.  Garnished with a Woodford Reserve cherry and blood orange wheel.  Turned out to be the most inviting and  engrossing cocktail I've made at home.  Most of my home concoctions merely compliment whatever's going on.  This one took center stage and cast a spell.  It was witchcraft in a glass.   Cheers, y'all! 

• I like it 4

After 4 days of stuffing my pie hole with turkey, dressing, cookies, pies, mash taters, green bean casserole...then more food, bourbon, scotch, wine, beer... a simple G&T with cheap tonic in a plastic cup hits the spot. :D

D2DAC43A-0B88-420F-BC48-0A2E5D40DC7E.jpeg

• I like it 1

19 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

After 4 days of stuffing my pie hole with turkey, dressing, cookies, pies, mash taters, green bean casserole...then more food, bourbon, scotch, wine, beer... a simple G&T with cheap tonic in a plastic cup hits the spot. :D

Only way to go grittier would be Gordon's Gin...but then I'd start thinking you planned it!

34 minutes ago, Steven C said:

Only way to go grittier would be Gordon's Gin...but then I'd start thinking you planned it!

What, you think I’m some sort of heathen, or sumpthin?!?!  :D

• I like it 1

Manhattan with Old Forester Rye.  OFR really has made a play to become the go-to bottle for cocktails in my cabinet. I concur with these simpler tasting notes from Binny's Morgan Summers:

A spicy, yet, complex flavor profile makes this is a versatile rye for connoisseurs and cocktail enthusiasts alike. Rich notes of burnt brown sugar hit you, spice awakens almost immediately integrated with distinct hints of black pepper and cinnamon, with some allspice lingering on the finish.

• I like it 1

Getting ready to head out for dinner and The Nutcracker at the Fabulous Fox, and pregame is a Black Manhattan.  2oz Pikesville Rye, 1oz Averna Amaro,  couple shakes of Angastura bitters, and a Luxardo Cherry.  Friggin’ delicious.  

D4A9D0DE-5B2F-4DF1-AD1A-87500F81736A.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 3

On 12/7/2019 at 4:07 PM, smokinjoe said:

Getting ready to head out for dinner and The Nutcracker at the Fabulous Fox, and pregame is a Black Manhattan.  2oz Pikesville Rye, 1oz Averna Amaro,  couple shakes of Angastura bitters, and a Luxardo Cherry.  Friggin’ delicious.  

D4A9D0DE-5B2F-4DF1-AD1A-87500F81736A.jpeg

Quite the exotic drink there with swanky glassware and fancy amaro. Now if you could figure out how to get a couple of "dashes" of bitters in the cocktail rather than "shakes" then you could a be a genuine mixologist... :D

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Quite the exotic drink there with swanky glassware and fancy amaro. Now if you could figure out how to get a couple of "dashes" of bitters in the cocktail rather than "shakes" then you could a be a genuine mixologist... :D

I have a philosophy:

Seize your bitters, see them shaken before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!  :D

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

I have a philosophy:

Seize your bitters, see them shaken before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!  :D

I have no idea what this means but I endorse it.

22 hours ago, flahute said:

I have no idea what this means but I endorse it.

Kinda was channeling my inner Conan there...  :D

33 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Kinda was channeling my inner Conan there...  :D

Uh........O'Brien or The Barbarian?  

Either way, I'm still lost :unsure: :D

• I like it 1

I love manhattans, and tonight felt right.

Vanilla orange rhubarb Manhattan!

Vanilla infused Buffalo Trace (made by me)

rhubarb bitters

orange bitters

vermouth

cherry juice ?

one cherry 

one ice cube

??

B23E43D5-04A3-446F-91A4-0203EADA3EC3.jpeg

• I like it 1

Halftime of Army-Navy game, so mixed up another Black Manhattan.  I just love watching this game.  Uniforms for Army are pretty cool this year.  Navy helmet looks good, too.  And the cocktail is stupendous!  Do yourself s favor and get you a bottle of Averna.

2AD3B8E4-6D96-40E0-9670-FEFEC49BFB96.jpeg

2 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Halftime of Army-Navy game, so mixed up another Black Manhattan.  I just love watching this game.  Uniforms for Army are pretty cool this year.  Navy helmet looks good, too.  And the cocktail is stupendous!  Do yourself s favor and get you a bottle of Averna.

2AD3B8E4-6D96-40E0-9670-FEFEC49BFB96.jpeg

One of my favorite games to watch every year. As a Navy brat, I loved the outcome this time after a few years of losing.

I already have a bottle of Averna, but you know if I didn't that the mere suggestion of it by you would have me running to the store.

Old Fashioned cocktails with Old Forester 100, Fee Brothers orange bitters, and homemade simple syrup. Delish!

Didn’t make a cocktail but branched out today and bought some Orange bitters and Plum bitters. Excited too see how those change my Manhattans.

2 1/2 oz Foolery Bonded Applejack 

1 oz sweet vermouth 

A couple dashes of Philman's Aromatics

Orange peel garnish

20191220_172111.jpg

• I like it 1

3 oz Maker's 46

A slight squeeze of simple syrup 

A couple dashes cherry bitters 

A couple Luxardo cherries 

20191220_181303.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.