Does anyone else get annoyed?

pyro273
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

at the glassware that some bars or restaurants use to serve you your bourbon or scotch?  I don't expect a Glencairn glass every time but come on.  I had a pour of Jefferson's Ocean the other day and it came in an orange juice glass.... IHOP anyone?  /rant

• I like it 2

Are you annoyed that the glass wasn't full?

But anyways... I remember being served my first ECBP in one of those balloon snifter brandy glasses. I nearly blacked out nosing it.

• I like it 7

To be honest, I don't actually drink much at bars. When I do, it's at a place that has pours at a more than reasonable price. Examples: MMBT, ECKC and sometimes a few other decent bourbons with pretty much double + pours in a rocks glass at $3.75-$4.00 each. At that kinda price, I could care less about what glass it comes in. ;) 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 7

1 hour ago, pyro273 said:

I had a pour of Jefferson's Ocean the other day and it came in an orange juice glass.... IHOP anyone?  /rant

A few years ago at a supper club in northern WI. I was served bourbon in one of those as well (MM I think) but I didn't care. Mainly because it was a neat pour, 2/3rds full and cost a whopping $5. Gotta love clueless college kids at their summer job :D

• I like it 3

11 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

To be honest, I don't actually drink much at bars. When I do, it's at a place that has pours at a more than reasonable price. Examples: MMBT, ECKC and sometimes a few other decent bourbons with pretty much double + pours in a rocks glass at $3.75-$4.00 each. At that kinda price, I could care less about what glass it comes in. ;) 

Biba! Joe

I’m with Joe. It is rare that I order more expensive bourbon while out. If I do, 101 usually works just fine at $6 when bartender is trying to upsell me Blantons for $19. 

• I like it 2

Here's another oddity. There's an upscale cocktail+spirits bar here that only serves Scotch in glencairns, because policy. No bourbon, no nothing else, pappiez be damned. I avoid the place unless friends drag me along.

I was once poured a Blanton’s in a pint glass with a Bud Light logo. At 8.50 for a double I didn’t really care at all.

• I like it 4

3 minutes ago, BMartin42 said:

I was once poured a Blanton’s in a pint glass with a Bud Light logo. At 8.50 for a double I didn’t really care at all.

"Atta Boy Luther!"

Biba! Joe

Or when you order it neat, and you get it in a shot glass...  Just because I want it neat doesn't mean I'm shooting it!

• I like it 4

8 minutes ago, dcbt said:

Or when you order it neat, and you get it in a shot glass...  Just because I want it neat doesn't mean I'm shooting it!

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Yeah. That's about what GeeTen pays at CapGrille with his locker discount card. :) Just kidding bro.

• I like it 1

On 1/25/2019 at 9:14 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

. . . When I do, it's at a place that . . . pours [a lot] in a rocks glass . . .

Outta joe's context but the words he gave me are spot on. bracketed info added by moiB)

• I like it 2

I only get annoyed when it comes in those NEAT glasses, boy are those awful. There's a whiskey bar not far from here that has a great selection but only uses those terrible glasses.

• I like it 1

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:48 PM, Kane said:

Here's another oddity. There's an upscale cocktail+spirits bar here that only serves Scotch in glencairns, because policy. No bourbon, no nothing else, pappiez be damned. I avoid the place unless friends drag me along.

Scotch is fancy so it comes in a fancy cup, Bourbon is not fancy so it is properly served in a Styrofoam cup, thems tha rules.

• I like it 3

21 hours ago, dcbt said:

Silly question, but does anyone ask for a specific glass?  Most bars may not have Glencairn glasses.   But you can ask for your bourbon in a brandy snifter glass.  I assume that is better than some of the glasses your being served in.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, BourbonGuy said:

Silly question, but does anyone ask for a specific glass?  Most bars may not have Glencairn glasses.   But you can ask for your bourbon in a brandy snifter glass.  I assume that is better than some of the glasses your being served in.

One may always 'ask'.    That doesn't necessarily mean one is served in the receptacle of choice.    Many taverns and restaurants do have options; but many don't have much in the way of actual whiskey glasses.   There are often some options that are better for nosing and tasting than others, of course.   It never hurts to ask.

• I like it 2

On 1/25/2019 at 10:42 PM, BMartin42 said:

$8.50 for a double of Blanton's?  I want to drink where you drink.  For that, they can serve it in the aforementioned styrofoam cup for all I care.

• I like it 1

$8.50 for a double of Blanton's?  I want to drink where you drink.  For that, they can serve it in the aforementioned styrofoam cup for all I care.

This was 2010 at a University of Illinois campus bar while I was in town doing some consulting work. The bartender didn’t have a clue what Blanton’s even was and had to ask his boss (a 23ish young woman) how to even ring it up. Quite memorable and hilarious watching them trying to figure it out. She even commented about the “cute horsey” on the bottle.
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

This was 2010 at a University of Illinois campus bar while I was in town doing some consulting work. The bartender didn’t have a clue what Blanton’s even was and had to ask his boss (a 23ish young woman) how to even ring it up. Quite memorable and hilarious watching them trying to figure it out. She even commented about the “cute horsey” on the bottle.

2010 which was before the bourbon hysteria. Were there any “special “ bourbons then?

When I ask for it neat I often have to ask for it in a rocks glass otherwise it's in a shot glass. That sometimes gets confused and it ends up ON the rocks.

• I like it 2

There’s a ton of shit that annoys me.  Hell, I annoy myself most days.  But, what glass in which  I’m served my whiskey, really doesnt.  But, I do get annoyed if the glass does not appear to be as clean as it should be, or has an odor to it.  That, does tend to get my goat.

• I like it 2

I've been known to order whiskey in a wine glass if it looks like they defer to shot glasses for neat pours. That usually works. We went to a roller derby event at a little dive bar a while back where my pour of Ezra Brooks was served in an Angel's Envy nosing glass that somehow managed to find its way into Mrs. Mosugoji's purse. 

• I like it 3

10 minutes ago, mosugoji64 said:

I've been known to order whiskey in a wine glass if it looks like they defer to shot glasses for neat pours. That usually works. We went to a roller derby event at a little dive bar a while back where my pour of Ezra Brooks was served in an Angel's Envy nosing glass that somehow managed to find its way into Mrs. Mosugoji's purse. 

No way!  Martha wouldn’t do that. ^_^

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.