Does anyone else get annoyed?

pyro273
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

my pour of Ezra Brooks was served in an Angel's Envy nosing glass that somehow managed to find its way into Mrs. Mosugoji's purse. 

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

No way!  Martha wouldn’t do that. ^_^

Biba! Joe

The rest of us who know Martha would disagree with you Joe! :D:D:D

• I like it 1

I hate these glasses.  You know, the generic bar whiskey glass.  Tonight I was out & the restaurant had a great menu, but a very limited bourbon selection.  I order a WT101 neat, which came in the generic glass.  I’m almost finished when I find three little fruit flies floating in my drink.  At least my meal was good. 

C736744A-7DDC-41D5-A048-1B3742BD8CD5.jpeg

Edited by Obeezy1Kaneezy
  • I like it 1

6 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

I hate these glasses.  You know, the generic bar whiskey glass.  Tonight I was out & the restaurant had a great menu, but a very limited bourbon selection.  I order a WT101 neat, which came in the generic glass.  I’m almost finished when I find three little fruit flies floating in my drink.  At least my meal was good. 

Ewwww...    OTH, free protein enhancement?

9 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Ewwww...    OTH, free protein enhancement?

BTW they weren’t floating like I said.  They’d soaked up enough Turkey to sink to the bottom lol.  I don’t know if they were in the glass prior, or they snuck into the pour cap/spout of the 101 before they died.  I didn’t even mention it to the restaurant.   Either way it should have been caught. 

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

BTW they weren’t floating like I said.  They’d soaked up enough Turkey to sink to the bottom lol.  I don’t know if they were in the glass prior, or they snuck into the pour cap/spout of the 101 before they died.  I didn’t even mention it to the restaurant.   Either way it should have been caught. 

If you watch Bar Rescue on Spike you’ll see this a lot. They usually blame it on poor cleanliness standards. If they leave the tops off the bottles overnight the fruit flies fly in. Blech.  

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, Charlutz said:

If you watch Bar Rescue on Spike you’ll see this a lot. They usually blame it on poor cleanliness standards. If they leave the tops off the bottles overnight the fruit flies fly in. Blech.  

I kind of thought that’s what happened lol. 

On 1/28/2019 at 1:23 AM, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

C736744A-7DDC-41D5-A048-1B3742BD8CD5.jpeg

As long as they fill it to the nubs my fingers slide up to AND keep the ice out, I don't care.

EDIT - fruit flies?  The small napkin they give me works well at fishing them out if they float.  Just touch each fly with a corner of the napkin.  It picks them right up.  More than four flies?  Get more napkins.  In the bottom of the glass?  Just don't chug.  ASIDE - What's wrong with these kids today?  Seems they can't cope with  doodoo.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 4

14 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

As long as they fill it to the nubs my fingers slide up to AND keep the ice out, I don't care.

EDIT - fruit flies?  The small napkin they give me works well at fishing them out if they float.  Just touch each fly with a corner of the napkin.  It picks them right up.  More than four flies?  Get more napkins.  In the bottom of the glass?  Just don't chug.  ASIDE - What's wrong with these kids today?  Seems they can't cope with  doodoo.

Did I really make it sound as that big of deal? :D

6 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Did I really make it sound as that big of deal? :D

No, you didn't.  But who am I to pass up a lobbed softball.B)

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

No, you didn't.  But who am I to pass up a lobbed softball.B)

Not you, Frank...uh, I mean...Harry... :D

09E04DB2-A1A7-4E51-B148-57CFEDE110A4.jpeg

• I like it 2

5 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Hondo!! The National Monument. The last Senators game I attended in DC Stadium was during Denny McClain's 31 win season. Howard hit a home run, the only run for us in a loss to McClain and the Tigers. Ha.

• I like it 1

I never get annoyed by the glass only by the price of what is put in it.  For this reason, I rarely buy alcohol at bars or restaurants.  However, I am not a party pooper.  If I am out with friends, if the bourbon is not reasonable or good for the price, I will opt for beer. 

• I like it 1

On 1/30/2019 at 9:11 PM, smokinjoe said:

Frank "Hondo" Howard, my boyhood hero.  There wasn't much good on those Senators teams of the 60's but he was the one shining star, until Robert Short coaxed Ted Williams out of retirement.

On 1/27/2019 at 2:12 PM, mosugoji64 said:

I've been known to order whiskey in a wine glass if it looks like they defer to shot glasses for neat pours. That usually works. We went to a roller derby event at a little dive bar a while back where my pour of Ezra Brooks was served in an Angel's Envy nosing glass that somehow managed to find its way into Mrs. Mosugoji's purse. 

Yeah, I get annoyed as hell if I've ordered a high end bourbon out some where and it comes back in a shot glass, orange juice glass, etc. If a bar or restaurant doesn't have Glencairns, then I ask for a white wine glass as well. Not perfect, but it sure beats the alternatives. 

The worst time it happened was a couple years back when I was at the Brown hotel in Louisville, KY, and I ordered a PVW 20 year "neat" and wanted it put in a Glencairn. Well, it came back in a huge rocks glass with a mountain of ice added. You'd think in KY of all places they would know what "neat" means, and that you don't throw Pappy on ice in a cheap rocks glass! 

• I like it 4

Yeah, I get annoyed as hell if I've ordered a high end bourbon out some where and it comes back in a shot glass, orange juice glass, etc. If a bar or restaurant doesn't have Glencairns, then I ask for a white wine glass as well. Not perfect, but it sure beats the alternatives. 

The worst time it happened was a couple years back when I was at the Brown hotel in Louisville, KY, and I ordered a PVW 20 year "neat" and wanted it put in a Glencairn. Well, it came back in a huge rocks glass with a mountain of ice added. You'd think in KY of all places they would know what "neat" means, and that you don't throw Pappy on ice in a cheap rocks glass! 

Wow! I hope you sent the PVW 20yr back and got a new pour.

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Wow! I hope you sent the PVW 20yr back and got a new pour.

@Icpfratn, you sure as hell bet I sent it back! It started to saponify (turn to a soapy flavor) right in the glass with all that ice. I've been to that bar many times over the years, and I was shocked that they would any better than to serve it that way. 

• I like it 2

If I'm at a self proclaimed whiskey bar or one that at least carries a lot of high end whiskies then yes, I expect to be served in a more appropriate vessel.  For example, at the Talbott in Bardstown, they consistently serve high dollar whiskies in those generic bar glasses....but after 3 or 4 pours I stop caring. 

Talbott.jpg

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

If I'm at a self proclaimed whiskey bar or one that at least carries a lot of high end whiskies then yes, I expect to be served in a more appropriate vessel.  For example, at the Talbott in Bardstown, they consistently serve high dollar whiskies in those generic bar glasses....but after 3 or 4 pours I stop caring. 

Talbott.jpg

@ThirstyinOhioI love the Old Talbott tavern in Bardstown, but I totally know what you mean about their glassware! Although I do find it annoying to be served a high-end bourbon in those crappy glasses, sometimes you just have to know when to "go with it." Thinking that you're going to get a better quality glass just ain't gonna happen. If anything, they'll often give you weird looks because you're being to "uppity" with it. ?

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 1

If I'm at a bar, I usually try the old fashioned with a BIB or reasonable high proof bourbon like KCSB.  If they make it properly (no muddled fruit salad in the bottom) I might get another.  Otherwise, it's beer for me.  I usually won't waste my money on bourbon at the bar because my bunker blows away 99% of bars and it's free - sort of:lol:

Back on point of the OP - the glass in which my beverage comes rarely if ever annoys me.  The booze tastes the same no matter what glass it comes out of - just my .02c

Edited by jvd99

If I'm at a bar, I usually try the old fashioned with a BIB or reasonable high proof bourbon like KCSB.  If they make it properly (no muddled fruit salad in the bottom) I might get another.  Otherwise, it's beer for me.  I usually won't waste my money on bourbon at the bar because my bunker blows away 99% of bars and it's free - sort of:lol:

Back on point of the OP - the glass in which my beverage comes rarely if ever annoys me.  The booze tastes the same no matter what glass it comes out of - just my .02c

When in a new place, I’ve started asking either how they make an old fashioned, or specifying how I want mine.

I don’t get upset by getting whisky in a rocks or old fashioned glass. I just don’t like getting it in a shot glass, which seems to be fairly common.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.