Maker's Mark 101 Proof Gold Wax Questions

Old Jen
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello,

I have a bottle of Maker's that I am searching for some info on. It is a Gold Wax Limited Edition 101 Proof bottle , has a parchment label and has the number 78 on the right hand side of the bottom of the bottle. It has a shiny gold box with a price tag from Otto Drugs (Louisville) on it. This bottle belonged to my grandfather and I discovered it when cleaning out their house after my grandmother's death. 

I am looking for info on the age ( I assume 1978), the rarity and possibly the current market value on this bottle . Any other info that anyone might have would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, Jen

You may or may not get the info you need here.

There's a wealth of knowledge here but that knowledge is skeptical of being used to determine a valuation that might be immediately used to profit on the secondary market.

Don't take it the wrong way, it's just that this is your first ever post here and we don't know you or your intentions.

Lots of people show up to these forums, look for info that will help them profit, and then leave to never contribute to the conversation.

No offense intended, this is just the context for how we tend to respond to these questions from someone we don't know.

No offense taken. I understand. This is just a family item that I am trying to find out more info about and was seeking knowledgeable people. I am a huge bourbon fan , not a collector and I am not of the means to drink expensive or rare bourbon. 

I am not trying to profit from other's knowledge. Just thought I should be informed about this bottle so that I could determine what to do with it . Keep it , drink it , sell it? 

So if anyone would like to help me out here , that would be great. 

My advice?    Keep it.    Drink it.   It's doubtful you'll ever get another opportunity for such an experience.

I’ve seen and drank from these gold bottles, and it is very good whiskey.  I don’t think I’ve seen the box, though.  Would you mind posting a pic of the box?

I also had a friend who had a "rare" bottle of Maker's Mark. I wrote directly to MM and sent pictures. They were very helpful. I can send you my contact there if you want. Just send me a private message and we can take it off-forum.  ?

2 minutes ago, Old Jen said:

The box is a bit beat up from years of storage but it has protected the bottle well.

Thanks. That would stand out on a store shelf, I’m sure.  Does that tag say $11 and change?  

Keep it as a family heirloom or share it with friends and family who will appreciate the whiskey and/or the connection to your grandfather. The money you might make from a sale will be forgotten but the memories won't. 

• I like it 1

Actually most interested in the current market value for insurance purposes , if it is worth anything...

25 minutes ago, Old Jen said:

Cost $11.19 originally 

$11.19.  That’s hilarious!  Oh my, the good ol’ days!

2 hours ago, Old Jen said:

Actually most interested in the current market value for insurance purposes , if it is worth anything...

MOD's if I'm crossing a line here I of course apologize. Might be worth reaching out to one of the KY Stores that deal in Vintage bourbon for that purpose they may have one on the shelf to compare it to for an actual value. It's not legal to sell without going through a license holder so I'm not sure how insurance value would really work out any way. 

Cool man , didn't really know. That's why I'm here. Anyone else  That has anymore type of info would be great too!

What I found odd , in  my research' is the parchment label , the gold wax and the dates do not match up to anything I could find. Help me if you can...

I don’t remember when MM stopped making their 101 proof offering. I do remember visiting the distillery for the first time way back in 1991 or 1992, and they were still making it at that time, I have a few labels to that effect. About the label, with the exception of the words “Limited Edition”  and “101 Proof” the label is still pretty much the same today.

Joe

24 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I don’t remember when MM stopped making their 101 proof offering. I do remember visiting the distillery for the first time way back in 1991 or 1992, and they were still making it at that time, I have a few labels to that effect. About the label, with the exception of the words “Limited Edition”  and “101 Proof” the label is still pretty much the same today.

Joe

A few blog posts I found seem to mention 1996 as the last year. 

The OP can look on wine-searcher or other sites for places that sell vintage bourbon. Whatever the value, I wonder if there is really anything that a drinker (as opposed to collector) would seek out with this bottle. Forever, this type of dusty MM would have been about the only way to get a higher proof MM, but now there is MMCS. Has anything else changed in the way MM was made them versus now?

1 hour ago, dad-proof said:

The OP can look on wine-searcher or other sites for places that sell vintage bourbon. Whatever the value, I wonder if there is really anything that a drinker (as opposed to collector) would seek out with this bottle. Forever, this type of dusty MM would have been about the only way to get a higher proof MM, but now there is MMCS. Has anything else changed in the way MM was made them versus now?

I can say I would be interested in trying it, even if nothing in practice changed over the years casks, yeast and crops have certainly changed to some degree just because that is the nature of time and the production process was certainly less precise. Old dusty whiskey isn't necessarily better but it is definitely different.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

I can say I would be interested in trying it, even if nothing in practice changed over the years casks, yeast and crops have certainly changed to some degree just because that is the nature of time and the production process was certainly less precise. Old dusty whiskey isn't necessarily better but it is definitely different.

I've tried this one and can say that it's some of the best MM I've ever had.

• I like it 1

Interesting to hear, flahute. And it makes sense, kevinbrink, that there would be variation over time even if MM has probably kept very consistent distilling, barrel rotation, and aging processes. Thanks both.

• I like it 1

I'll add to Steve's note...  I've got one of these, as well as several bottles of early-mid 90's MM in the bunker.  Of all that I've tasted (a lot!), my impressions are that the distillate from this era (i.e. glut) is a richer tasting somewhat older product than what's going in the bottle now. 

Edited by Paddy

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.