Bourbondom Candidates for mayor

Gunslinger686
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

C EH Taylor small batch & H McKenna 10 Both are still easily obtainable and similarly priced , who you voting for?

I'll say this at peak McKenna but there are some valleys, CEHT SB is definitely more consistent, HH is definitely more my thing than BT so I'll take the rollercoaster ride. 

Hmmmmm.... 

CEHT, relatively new to the party, gussied up and overpriced MB #1 that's never been readily available.

HM, old standard, solid, steady, reasonably priced, always available and relatively unknown to normal people (the latter two until just recently, thanks to some asshat).

HM in a runaway...

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, Gunslinger686 said:

It’s an honor to be called asshat by a guru rite?

He's not talking about you.

13 minutes ago, Gunslinger686 said:

It’s an honor to be called asshat by a guru rite?

I dont believe he's calling you an asshat. It's directed at someone that contributed to HM10 winning whiskey of the year in '17. I'll let you determine who has talking about. 

HM10 was great when I could walk in to any local and get it at $30. Now it's hit or miss to find. Taters gonna tate. 

Taylor Small Batch can be great. It can be a hot mess. And it's overpriced. It's hard for me to get behind it because it's inconsistent.

HMcK can also put out a bad barrel but the incidence is small. Most are great. Single barrel variation is a thing.

But bad batching? Come on.......the whole purpose of batching is to maintain consistency and to achieve balance. How and the heck do you arrive at a hot mess with a batch?

For me it's McKenna.

• I like it 4

I'll go ahead and be a little bit contrarian....

I'll cast my vote based upon the historical significance of the namesakes.

Hands down Col. E. H. Taylor moved the needle in Bourbon production waaaaay more than Hank McKenna.   So my historical perspective dictates a vote for the Colonel.

As far as the distillate, I'm with flahute; HMcK SB juice is waay better in most of the bottles I've uncorked.

Edited by Richnimrod

53 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

If this becomes mayor I'm moving.

Let me know where because wherever it is there is sure to be Wild Turkey. 

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

Let me know where because wherever it is there is sure to be Wild Turkey. 

Jimmy for Mayor!

• I like it 1

Gotta give my vote to Hank as well.  I’ve never had a bad bottle like some have said.  I’ve had some that weren’t as good as others, but I’ll take it over EHT Small Batch.  Now the EHT single barrel on the other hand...

I really had to think about this for awhile.  My vote is for McKenna.  But as Obeezy mentioned above if its Single Barrel vs Single Barrel expressions. EH crushes.  

• I like it 1

Neither are readily available where I live, but..... I’d go with the EHT Small Batch. I prefer it for one, and It’s also the one that I can find in my neck of the woods. While it isn’t all that common, you can usually find it at one or two places for $39.99. I don’t remember ever seeing the HMc BIB around here. The only times I’ve seen it is when I’ve traveled north into Wisconsin. It’s where I bought my first bottle a number of years ago. On a trip “up north” three weeks ago, I stopped at one store. (Well, maybe more than one store.;)) They had one bottle on a shelf behind the counter. It was priced at $32.99 and had a sign that said “Limit One”.  :huh: 

Biba! Joe

On 1/28/2019 at 10:26 PM, kevinbrink said:

I'll say this at peak McKenna but there are some valleys, CEHT SB is definitely more consistent, HH is definitely more my thing than BT so I'll take the rollercoaster ride. 

I am with Kevin on this one.  When good HMck10 can be stellar, when not so good (see what I did there) it can be ok.  CEHT is more consistent but overpriced.  Yet, I still like it and occasionally grab a bottle.  I am liberal in my selection but fiscally conservative.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

I am with Kevin on this one.  When good HMck10 can be stellar, when not so good (see what I did there) it can be ok.  CEHT is more consistent but overpriced.  Yet, I still like it and occasionally grab a bottle.  I am liberal in my selection but fiscally conservative.

Well I'm jealous of you guys who find consistency in CEHT. I gave up on it.

Where's Joe? I need him to write another glowing review so I give in and try it again.

10 hours ago, flahute said:

Well I'm jealous of you guys who find consistency in CEHT. I gave up on it.

Where's Joe? I need him to write another glowing review so I give in and try it again.

If it helps I find it consistent but I also don't think it drinks like a $40 whiskey, the price on the single barrel is even more mind boggling to me. Here in NJ we have had a couple drops at one of the bigger chains that were $33 for the SB and $55 for the SiB which seem more in line with what I would say I'd be willing to pay and I probably would still skip the SiB since I've never really thought it was much better or well differentiated from the SB. 

• I like it 1

17 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

If it helps I find it consistent but I also don't think it drinks like a $40 whiskey, the price on the single barrel is even more mind boggling to me. Here in NJ we have had a couple drops at one of the bigger chains that were $33 for the SB and $55 for the SiB which seem more in line with what I would say I'd be willing to pay and I probably would still skip the SiB since I've never really thought it was much better or well differentiated from the SB. 

Yep, I'm generally with Kevin's thoughts, but I am a big fan of the SmB, especially when it was $33 here in NJ.  I stocked up then, and am good to go for awhile.  Not surprisingly, the $33 hasn't lasted, and the price has gone up recently.

At $33, the SmB is an outstanding value IMHO.  At $40 or over, or unicorn status, it would start to lose some of its appeal.  And having bought the Single Barrel, and with bottles of each currently open, the SB does not really resonate with me at $70 or up, or any sort of unicorn status.  I do love the BP, and fortunately have a few of those socked away.

14 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Yep, I'm generally with Kevin's thoughts, but I am a big fan of the SmB, especially when it was $33 here in NJ.  I stocked up then, and am good to go for awhile.  Not surprisingly, the $33 hasn't lasted, and the price has gone up recently.

At $33, the SmB is an outstanding value IMHO.  At $40 or over, or unicorn status, it would start to lose some of its appeal.  And having bought the Single Barrel, and with bottles of each currently open, the SB does not really resonate with me at $70 or up, or any sort of unicorn status.  I do love the BP, and fortunately have a few of those socked away.

Glad I was able to stash a few BP before the pricing went crazy here as well, a few stores around here have plenty at the low low price of $199, what a deal! Honestly I don't know that it's all that much better than the most batches of Stagg Jr. if at all, so it's another one where the price just doesn't really work for me anymore. If BT/Saz actually age stated any of these bottles it would of course at least provide some qualitative reasoning for the pricing not that it would change my spending decisions. 

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Glad I was able to stash a few BP before the pricing went crazy here as well, a few stores around here have plenty at the low low price of $199, what a deal! Honestly I don't know that it's all that much better than the most batches of Stagg Jr. if at all, so it's another one where the price just doesn't really work for me anymore. If BT/Saz actually age stated any of these bottles it would of course at least provide some qualitative reasoning for the pricing not that it would change my spending decisions. 

I've tasted the CEHT BP blind next to Stagg Jr, I think most people would be forgiven for guessing that they were two different batches of Stagg Jr. In this specific fight I had the Stagg Jr slightly ahead. The CEHT was a little more mellow and soft while the Stagg Jr was more intense and rich, but they were very clearly from the same stocks and the same general flavor proflile. Sort of depends what you're after but when it comes to ~130 proof bourbon I'll usually go for intense. So I think even at the $80 retail price point it's overpriced, assuming you can find Stagg Jr without much difficulty. There's certainly no reason to pay over retail for it. I'll go a little further and say of the CEHT line, the retail pricing only makes sense on Small Batch and Four Grain. Single Barrel, Barrel Proof and the Rye are all overpriced.

As to this thread: CEHT Small Batch for sure, it's lovely. I don't think Henry McKenna is anything special. But I tend to prefer BT mash #1 over Heaven Hill.

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.