Bourbon tasting

FredrikJSwe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hello, new here!

Will have bourbon tryout in my whiskey club.

I have bought four different and I would like some help to have them in the best order.

The four are:

Maker’s mark

Buffalo trace

Booker’s 2017-01E

Elijah Craig Small batch

I have collected different comments about them from different tests so the challenge will be to pair each bourbon with different caracterristics. 

All the best!

Fredrik

I would start with the lower proof, sweeter (wheat vs. rye) and move from there.  My order would be:

1)  Maker's Mark

2) Buffalo Trace

3) Elijah Craig SmB

4) Booker's 2017-01

Not only does this take you from sweetest to spiciest, it also takes you up the proof ladder.  If you were to put the Booker's first it would overwhelm the others because of it's higher proof (127+ if I remember correctly).

I would have some water & ice on hand, with a dropper handy so you can taste them neat, then add a drop or two of water to see how that changes the flavor profile and lastly, if you are so inclined add a cube of ice and taste for a third time.  You could also have some crackers (oyster crackers are great for this) on hand to eat between the pours.  A bottle of water for each taster would also allow them to cleanse their palate between pours.  And, if you don't have enough glasses to have a separate pour in each one, make sure to rinse and dry the glasses between pours.  I actually bought 24 double shot glasses so unless there are a ton of people around, I can have a different glass for each pour.  To enhance the experience you could also have different type chocolates (milk, dark, etc.) on hand.  Chocolate goes great with bourbon.

Edited by CardsandBourbon
  • I like it 3

38 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I would start with the lower proof, sweeter (wheat vs. rye) and move from there.  My order would be:

1)  Maker's Mark

2) Buffalo Trace

3) Elijah Craig SmB

4) Booker's 2017-01

Not only does this take you from sweetest to spiciest, it also takes you up the proof ladder.  If you were to put the Booker's first it would overwhelm the others because of it's higher proof (127+ if I remember correctly).

I would have some water & ice on hand, with a dropper handy so you can taste them neat, then add a drop or two of water to see how that changes the flavor profile and lastly, if you are so inclined add a cube of ice and taste for a third time.  You could also have some crackers (oyster crackers are great for this) on hand to eat between the pours.  A bottle of water for each taster would also allow them to cleanse their palate between pours.  And, if you don't have enough glasses to have a separate pour in each one, make sure to rinse and dry the glasses between pours.  I actually bought 24 double shot glasses so unless there are a ton of people around, I can have a different glass for each pour.  To enhance the experience you could also have different type chocolates (milk, dark, etc.) on hand.  Chocolate goes great with bourbon.

Same order I would recommend

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Ditto.

Me, too.   ...For the reasons stated. 

Also, C&B's suggestions for accompaniment are excellent. 

I'd add a couple more suggestions to his list, if you don't mind getting that far into the weeds.   Some salted, or at least roasted nuts, and some sort of dried fruit (raisins are easy and cheap; but whatever you like).   The oils in the nuts offer a palate alteration that can bring out flavor experiences not available any other way, and the dried fruit can do the same for a different reason.

Have FUN with it!    That's the main thing.    Don't get too professorial, or too authoritarian about any of it.   The main thing is to enjoy the whiskey experiences and to enjoy the sharing of them with folx who attend.    It can be very entertaining to hear what others find that we don't, or to hear others confirm our impressions.   All of it is worth doing in a relaxed and non-threatening way, especially for newbies to the Bourbon hobby.

• I like it 2

17 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

1)  Maker's Mark

2) Buffalo Trace

3) Elijah Craig SmB

4) Booker's 2017-01

Thanks ?

10 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Me, too.   ...For the reasons stated. 

Also, C&B's suggestions for accompaniment are excellent. 

I'd add a couple more suggestions to his list, if you don't mind getting that far into the weeds.   Some salted, or at least roasted nuts, and some sort of dried fruit (raisins are easy and cheap; but whatever you like).   The oils in the nuts offer a palate alteration that can bring out flavor experiences not available any other way, and the dried fruit can do the same for a different reason.

Have FUN with it!    That's the main thing.    Don't get too professorial, or too authoritarian about any of it.   The main thing is to enjoy the whiskey experiences and to enjoy the sharing of them with folx who attend.    It can be very entertaining to hear what others find that we don't, or to hear others confirm our impressions.   All of it is worth doing in a relaxed and non-threatening way, especially for newbies to the Bourbon hobby.

Richnimrod, good suggestion on the nuts.  When the wife and I were in Napa for our 30th Anniversary at one of the wineries they had us taste their Sauvignon Blanc (very acidic, which stripped all the oils from our tongues) and then eat a Macadamia nut and taste it again.  The oils from the nut totally changed the flavor profile of the wine.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.