Heaven Hill 6 Year Old Bottled in Bond

Carnagusfarnbuckler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Now that Heaven Hill 6 Year Old Bottled in Bond is now technically gone.  What do you think is the closest available Heaven Hill product that is widely available?

Outside HH (though likely still a HH distilled whiskey) my recollection is that David Nicholson Reserve (the black label)  isn't very far off. Of the HH owned labels I would probably say EW BIB as well. Of the other BIB TW Samuels, JTS Brown and Dant in that order. I haven't had a recent FC but wouldn't be a bad one to give a shot. 

• I like it 1

Had a bottle of the NAS FC back in October, while perfectly drinkable, I was disappointed by a noticeable lack of the HH signature nuttyness I love in EW BIB and Larceny.  Sadly I have not tried the HH BIB 6 for comparison.

• I like it 1

The HH 6y 90 proof is still available I believe and will be the closest.

EWBIB is not that similar to me. Too much wet cardboard flavor that's indicative of a young whiskey. Same with all the other HHBIB's.

For my palate, the extra 2 years in the HH6 made a big difference.

• I like it 3

1 minute ago, flahute said:

EWBIB is not that similar to me. Too much wet cardboard flavor that's indicative of a young whiskey. Same with all the other HHBIB's.

I came here to say the same thing. The 90 proof HH is still a hell of a deal (although it looks like it's gone up a bit in price, I think I paid $11 or $12 a few years ago). I think all of the NAS BIB from HH are OK, but I agree with flahute that there's a big improvement with a couple of extra years. It's not mind blowing, but it's an incredible value at less than $15.

• I like it 1

Any news on the New HHBIB that Breaking Bourbon shows is forthcoming?

oh, and OE7 101 or Virgin Bourbon if you can find are somewhat similar. 

Edited by FasterHorses
  • I like it 2

1 minute ago, FasterHorses said:

No label approval for anything new yet.

• I like it 2

I agree 100% Steve. I’ve never been a fan of EW BIB...it’s just too young and hot for being only 100 proof. The HH 6y 90 is definitely a worthy alternative to HH 6y BIB. Virgin Bourbon 7y 101 is also worth a look since it is likely sourced from HH.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, FasterHorses said:

oh, and OE7 101 or Virgin Bourbon if you can find are somewhat similar. 

I was thinking the same thing with Virgin Bourbon.  I have a bottle of that and may to do a side by side of the two.

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

I agree 100% Steve. I’ve never been a fan of EW BIB...it’s just too young and hot for being only 100 proof. The HH 6y 90 is definitely a worthy alternative to HH 6y BIB. Virgin Bourbon 7y 101 is also worth a look since it is likely sourced from HH.

Not only is Virgin made at HH, it’s an actual HH product!  

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, flahute said:

6 years seems to be the threshold for my palate. The only 4ish year old that I really enjoy is the single barrels from New Riff. 

• I like it 2

Not only is Virgin made at HH, it’s an actual HH product!  

I wasn’t sure if it was or not Joe, since the bottle labeling clearly tries to hide that fact.
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.