1993 OFC (Should I buy it??)

Schultz24
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to buy a bottle of 1993 OFC for retail ($2500).  I have never flipped a bottle and know it is frowned upon, but don't think I could open it.  What would you all honestly do??  You could probably sell it and buy a lot of really good bourbon with the profits.  Hate to pass it up, but dang that it is a lot of money!!!

The overwhelming response you are going to get is this is the wrong forum for that question as no one here is going to advocate selling on the secondary which is not exactly legal.

• I like it 4

I’d also suggest that buying this bottle and expecting a quick and easy windfall might be overly optimistic. The higher the price of any item goes, the smaller the group of prospective buyers becomes. If you think you’re going to to buy this and turn around and quickly sell it for $5K or something like that, there are a lot less buyers of $5K bottles out there. You may hear all the time about people selling BTAC bottles for $500 on the secondary but that is a very different situation. Plus, the buyers that may be out there for a $5K type purchase probably aren’t going to buy it from someone they’ve never heard of and doesn’t have a track record of other transactions (references?). So yes plenty of people on this site will just say don’t do it as in general people here just aren’t going to support any such activity. But just be aware you might end up having a $2,500 paperweight for a while if you buy this and have no intention of drinking it. If you still want to pursue it, maybe start by talking to a store in Kentucky where based on law changes you could legally sell such bottle to the owner, who can then legally turn around and sell it to a customer. Maybe they would pay you enough to make it worth your while. If they don’t offer you anywhere close to what you would want, my suggestions above may be valid. 

2 minutes ago, mross said:

Pardon my brain fart, what is OFC? Old Forester something?

It's Buffalo Trace's new luxury line of older whiskey stands for Old Fire Copper which is the name of a previous distillery iteration on their current property.

Leave it for someone who expects to open and drink it.   Someone may be in need of such a "bargain".

• I like it 2

I couldnt do it on many levels. Way outta my league, couldnt drink it, would have tons of buyers remorse, would have tons of buyers remorse, would stress over not being able to move it, would have tons of buyers remorse, and couldnt tell anyone i know that i spent so much on...alcohol. Sometimes wanting something is better than having something.

• I like it 1

There's a 0% chance I'll EVER spend more on a bottle booze or wine than a mortgage payment. So it'll always be a pass. I'm pro capitalism, but I'm not one to buy a bottle to sell it for a $ profit. That's just me. 

What's the track record of OFC, as in the reviews.  So few have tried it, how do we know it's really that good?

With $2500, I say drive to KY and hit all the major distillers tours and gift shops.  Have a grand time.  If there's any money after that, go to the stores with great single barrel selections.  Post some photos in the What Did I Buy thread.

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, Radioyada said:

Wrong forum. Try Reddit. 

That post may well get you banned from reddit.

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

What's the track record of OFC, as in the reviews.  So few have tried it, how do we know it's really that good?

I don't think anyone actually opens these.  I also think on the off chance someone actually opens one they're not likely to give a bad review to something they just paid $2,500+ for.  And you won't see reviews since they certainly aren't giving out media samples.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, JoeTerp said:

And you won't see reviews since they certainly aren't giving out media samples.

Wait.  What?   :o

So, my e-mail to 'em, asking for a sample in order to post my tasting notes here is unlikely to result in a sample sent my way?   Say it ain't so....

• I like it 1

On 2/5/2019 at 11:07 AM, Schultz24 said:

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to buy a bottle of 1993 OFC for retail ($2500).  I have never flipped a bottle and know it is frowned upon, but don't think I could open it.  What would you all honestly do??  You could probably sell it and buy a lot of really good bourbon with the profits.  Hate to pass it up, but dang that it is a lot of money!!!

From my view. if you have never flipped a bottle I wouldn't start that high. You also may need to look into legal ramifications. I think the Feds kinda frown on this sort of thing.

Thanks for all of the replies.  As I said, I knew I would catch some flak, but wanted an honest opinion and got it from a few.  I have decided to just leave it since I wouldn't open it at that price and could buy tons of other good stuff for the money that I can drink.  Also don't want to deal with the legality issues and have a paperweight.  I think another piece of the picture is that if I bought this I would almost certainly be offered a Pappy 20/23 at retail since they get a couple every year and the manager said that she is offering this to a "special customer".  I guess I just have to buy $2500 worth of other drinkers to keep my status up!!  Thanks again and any other comments are certainly welcome.

Any bourbon that would suffer a fate of never being opened and enjoyed is a sad and pathetic waste of whiskey. The producers distilled, selected, tasted and hit upon, I assume, a unique and hopefully delicious profile, then priced it at a point where it becomes an idol instead of a consumable. I don't know the pricing rationale at Sazerac but pricing anything at a point where it is not likely to realize its intended purpose is a waste of their time. There are certainly plenty of people that can and probably do spend more than 2500, but above a certain dollar amount, it just seems silly. If you have the coin and are curious about how it tastes, but it, open it and ENJOY it (or don't, just be sure to tell the rest of us what it tastes like LOL!!) otherwise leave it.

It would be hilarious (to me) if they just put Weller SR in those "offerings" knowing full well they will just sit on a shelf somewhere with tiny velvet ropes around them.

Not sure what "retail" is for the Pappy, but that makes the calculation a bit different.  I'm not a big fan of buying to invest or to flip, but if you got the Pappy at retail, you could consider selling that bottle and coming close to paying for the OFC and then drink something that all of us want to taste.  If you want someone to go in on this with you, I'm sure you could get people happy to do it (me included).

2 hours ago, Schultz24 said:

Thanks for all of the replies.  As I said, I knew I would catch some flak, but wanted an honest opinion and got it from a few.  I have decided to just leave it since I wouldn't open it at that price and could buy tons of other good stuff for the money that I can drink.  Also don't want to deal with the legality issues and have a paperweight.  I think another piece of the picture is that if I bought this I would almost certainly be offered a Pappy 20/23 at retail since they get a couple every year and the manager said that she is offering this to a "special customer".  I guess I just have to buy $2500 worth of other drinkers to keep my status up!!  Thanks again and any other comments are certainly welcome.

Have you drank much Pappy 20/23? Old vintages and recent vintages. For what it’s worth, most people that really drink the stuff never even thought the 20/23 were the best offering in the PVW lineup in the past, when it was the highly prized S-W juice. For many people, in terms of what was in the glass, the 15 was the best. Now plenty of people still wanted the 20/23 to have a full set to display, to sample or share with a valued guest, but not that often do you really hear that they preferred the 20/23 from people with a lot of experience drinking the whole product line. 

Then you may want to take another factor factor into account. The current VW offerings are a shell of the former glory across the board basically. The current juice is simply not the same as the stuff that made the product line famous. I say all of these things with general themes you can gather as you do some research, but also based on my own fairly extensive experience drinking the whole product line. 

So with all that, personally I absolutely would not throw around thousands for something I don’t even want to (hopefully) get something that really is incredibly overhyped currently, but does not live up to the hype at all. But I guess that only matters if you would intend to drink the Pappy. If you just want it to look fancy on your bar, maybe some effort is worth it to you. 

Sorry if this reaction strats too far from the goals of this thread. I just personally think that the idea of this transaction as a means towards maybe being able to buy some Pappy at some point makes me cringe a bit

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Wait.  What?   :o

So, my e-mail to 'em, asking for a sample in order to post my tasting notes here is unlikely to result in a sample sent my way?   Say it ain't so....

It ain't so Rich. Sorry. Even an uppity up moderator like me gets the door slammed in his face once in a while. Example: With some things myself, SB, and its members got involved in a few years ago, myself and a few others were afforded the chance to taste a few samples, with the blessing of some marketing folks. Then out of the blue, those same marketing folks sent me a few samples from another "place". They asked me to share the samples, and send them some feed back. I did just that, and have been shut out every since. FWIW, the feedback was actually positive. Go figure. :mellow:

iba! Joe

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.