4R Small Batch Select

Seasick Sailor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm giddy about this. I wonder where the price point will be. I guess around $50-$55. Of course age will play into that. 

No info on the recipes yet but there will be 6 of them used.

Age is 6-7 year barrels.

Thanks for sharing. Excited to try it out! May wish for a bit more age given 4R typically slower maturation, but with the blend of recipes and higher proof it looks like a winner.

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Has anyone heard anything about this release?

https://fourrosesbourbon.com/bourbon/small-batch-select/

Website says it will be launching this spring in Kentucky, New York, California, Texas, and Georgia. 

So it won’t be available in my state (Massachusetts) immediately. That’s really lame. Just as well I guess, it gives the flippers a chance to get bored of it.

1 hour ago, mal00768 said:

So it won’t be available in my state (Massachusetts) immediately. That’s really lame. Just as well I guess, it gives the flippers a chance to get bored of it.

Lame on 4R part for not including MA in initial rollout?  

I find a lot to like with this announcement. Looking forward to which of the 6 are components, since regular SmB is 4 of the 10 might these be the alternate 6? I really like the proof point and NCF, the fact that they state a 6-7 year age range is a nice bonus and shows that we can expect at least a bit of maturity in the blend . Given the recent constraints on private selections due to thin supply (certain recipes unavailable and a gradual decline in age across the board) I wonder what impact this will have on that already stressed program? Looks like they opened a price window where this may slot in as the PSSB price just took a healthy jump, my guess is 50-60. I definitely plan on adding one if/when it appears locally.

• I like it 1

In the article I read, Elliott said he wanted it to be more accessible so that while it was good for special occasions you wouldn’t feel bad opening it up at any time. Good sign hopefully re wide production. Probably still has that $50-60 price tag for the proof and age specs, but if they make it largely available that will be good. 

Aside, when I read about the initial 4 state rollout, after quick disappointment that MD wasn’t included, I enjoyed some relief that I could wait for some reviews and the early hype to settle before chasing a bottle. Bourbon zen is close. 

• I like it 1

This looks great.  Add me to the "lame" group for not being distributed in Illinois.  Although as a state we do get quite a bit of love on most releases.

1 hour ago, kcgumbohead said:

I find a lot to like with this announcement. Looking forward to which of the 6 are components, since regular SmB is 4 of the 10 might these be the alternate 6? I really like the proof point and NCF, the fact that they state a 6-7 year age range is a nice bonus and shows that we can expect at least a bit of maturity in the blend . Given the recent constraints on private selections due to thin supply (certain recipes unavailable and a gradual decline in age across the board) I wonder what impact this will have on that already stressed program? Looks like they opened a price window where this may slot in as the PSSB price just took a healthy jump, my guess is 50-60. I definitely plan on adding one if/when it appears locally.

My guess is that this is actually the reason for the constraints that have already been in place. Since they have been running flat out for a while now the barrels being used for these are impacting everything else.

1 hour ago, mal00768 said:

Yeah

Perhaps my interpretation is different than yours, but “Lame” is a rather pejorative term when used in this context of a new product release, particularly with the strained stock conditions that seem evident at 4R.  

FYI y'all, I moved this to the Industry News Forum.

I also received my email from Four Roses today. It states pretty much what has already been stated here. I will add this though;

“We wanted to add something to our lineup that brings that pure experience you get with a non-chill filtered Bourbon, while also showcasing some of our recipes and flavors that aren’t as forward facing in our other existing bottles.

While Small Batch Select can certainly be one of your special occasion Bourbons, we want it to be more accessible so you don’t hesitate to open up that bottle and enjoy it any time.”

-Brent Elliott, Four Roses Master Distiller

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Four Roses is releasing a NCF 104 proof multiple recipe small batch expression aged 6 to 7 years this spring. I’m in!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/four-roses-adds-a-new-permanent-bourbon-to-its-line-up/amp/

What do you think MSRP will be? I’ll guess $45-50. 

Edited by CUfan99

49 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

FYI y'all, I moved this to the Industry News Forum.

I also received my email from Four Roses today. It states pretty much what has already been stated here. I will add this though;

“We wanted to add something to our lineup that brings that pure experience you get with a non-chill filtered Bourbon, while also showcasing some of our recipes and flavors that aren’t as forward facing in our other existing bottles.

While Small Batch Select can certainly be one of your special occasion Bourbons, we want it to be more accessible so you don’t hesitate to open up that bottle and enjoy it any time.”

-Brent Elliott, Four Roses Master Distiller

Biba! Joe

Not sure why you would moved this down here...

Weird.......there was another thread about this started this morning. I don't see it now.

1 minute ago, flahute said:

Weird.......there was another thread about this started this morning. I don't see it now.

Moved to Industry News.....

15 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Not sure why you would moved this down here...

If it's news, I think this is the appropriate forum/thread. IMHO, it's news.

Biba! Joe

I'm glad that they're finally showing some R-E-S-P-E-C-T to the GBS by including Georgia in the initial distribution!

Because that's gotta be the reason . . .

Oh - and this will be an insta-buy for me (unless others beat me to it and it sounds like a dud).  Higher proof, NCF Four Roses - if it's reasonably priced, sounds like a winner to me!

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, flahute said:

My guess is that this is actually the reason for the constraints that have already been in place. Since they have been running flat out for a while now the barrels being used for these are impacting everything else.

I agree on this. It is a nice proof point for Four Roses juice. Be nice to see a little more age on it but I guess that is life in 2019. 

The tasting notes sound nice. I hope it tastes nothing like regular small batch as that is the one in their lineup I can't stand. It tastes like old, wet, dirty leaves..not that I know what that actually tastes like!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.