Henry McKenna Release

Carnagusfarnbuckler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am a big fan of Henry McKenna BIB.  I was trying to find out when the 09 release will be available.  I can't find anything on the web about this.  Does anyone know what month they usually start hitting the stores?

I am a big fan of Henry McKenna BIB.  I was trying to find out when the 09 release will be available.  I can't find anything on the web about this.  Does anyone know what month they usually start hitting the stores?

To my knowledge, Henry McKenna BIB has historically been released throughout the year. However, with the exposure and praises it has received within the last year or so, the price has increased and availability on the shelves has gotten more scarce.
  • I like it 2

This comment is just based upon past experience; but I've seen it on shelves as early as Mid-March.   This is in past years, of course.

As Icpfratn noted, things may be different moving forward.

Also, one must keep in mind not only the delivery schedule from Heaven Hill to your state; but also, the movement of stock through the state's pipeline, as well as the distributor's.    So, if it's been going through quickly, it may appear sooner, if it's been held up, or moving slowly (unlikely lately), it may not show before April or later.   Be patient.   This comment never helps; but, is always sound advice

• I like it 1

Barrel #5765 barreled on 8-9-08 is on the VA ABC Store shelves as your read this.  Presuming it was bottled on or after its anniversary date of 8-9-18 and sits in a warehouse after delivery for awhile,  let us suppose it sat for three months (which so far I have found to be typical in VA ABCs and in some WashDC non-downtown stores I frequent).  Thus VA ABC maybe started moving it to stores in NOV 2018.   This fits well with Rich's observation - watch for the bottled in 2009 circa March-April 2019.

BUT, my experience with HMcK BIB 10 is - many stores do not necessarily put them out one batch at a time;; rather, they are mixed up.  SO, be sure to check each bottle's barrel number on the shelf as they may be shuffled.   PLUS, regardless of the date of barreling, one occasionally hits a honey barrel.  I buy maybe six or so different "barreled on" bottles each year and taste each pretty quickly.  Every couple of years, one of those bottles will be exquisite.  I then straightaway travel store to store looking for THAT barrel number.

Barrel 5765 was a good one, not a great one.  Alas.

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Barrel #5765 barreled on 8-9-08 is on the VA ABC Store shelves as your read this.  Presuming it was bottled on or after its anniversary date of 8-9-18 and sits in a warehouse after delivery for awhile,  let us suppose it sat for three months (which so far I have found to be typical in VA ABCs and in some WashDC non-downtown stores I frequent).  Thus VA ABC maybe started moving it to stores in NOV 2018.   This fits well with Rich's observation - watch for the bottled in 2009 circa March-April 2019.

BUT, my experience with HMcK BIB 10 is - many stores do not necessarily put them out one batch at a time;; rather, they are mixed up.  SO, be sure to check each bottle's barrel number on the shelf as they may be shuffled.   PLUS, regardless of the date of barreling, one occasionally hits a honey barrel.  I buy maybe six or so different "barreled on" bottles each year and taste each pretty quickly.  Every couple of years, one of those bottles will be exquisite.  I then straightaway travel store to store looking for THAT barrel number.

Barrel 5765 was a good one, not a great one.  Alas.

It just went on sale in the VA abc's and got wiped out in my area.  Do you know if they do that to get rid of old stock in preparation for new deliveries?

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, afmadd said:

It just went on sale in the VA abc's and got wiped out in my area.  Do you know if they do that to get rid of old stock in preparation for new deliveries?

In The Mitten State (which may be entirely different than VA) the retailers are often prone to holding stock back (if they have the storage space) then mixing in the newest stuff with the remaining older stock on the display shelves.  I'm sure this varies somewhat store to store, as well, at least in MI. 

I was in my friendly neighborhood package store this afternoon and was surprised to see a shelf location full (front to back) with ECBP; but none anywhere near 'new' (last fall's).    I asked the proprietor about any newer batches.   He didn't know what he had in back stock, so I asked if we could take a look.   He had an unopened case in storage that was a batch newer, which I asked for a bottle, since I had none, and he said; "Sure, why not?"

• I like it 2

58 minutes ago, afmadd said:

Remember, VA ABC stores are state stores and sell what the Richmond ABC sends to them, subject to special ordering.  Hence, I do not know what the admin side of VA distrib REALLY is.  I'm going to be near one of the VA ABC stores I like - which has a manager who loves bourbon - and I will ask if she knows what the policy is.

• I like it 2

Thanks for all the great responses.  This forum is by far the best there is.

• I like it 1

23 hours ago, afmadd said:

UPDATE - As I said I would a couple posts above, I visited one of my favorite VA ABC stores and asked about this while picking up two HMcK BIB 10 yrs (barreled 20 NOV 2008 in Barrel 5877).  I was told the VA ABC HQ discounts some whiskies this time of year to encourage whisky sales in order to free up warehouse space for rum, tequila, and vodka which sell better in Summer than whiskies which sell better in Fall and Winter.  Another factor, she said, is bulk deliveries from distillers which need space.  When I asked her if the current sale price on HMcK BIB ($30 instead of $35) meant HH's next delivery was imminent, she said she didn't know but that upcoming delivery certainly could be a factor when the HQ sets prices and picks items for sale prices.

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

UPDATE - As I said I would a couple posts above, I visited one of my favorite VA ABC stores and asked about this while picking up two HMcK BIB 10 yrs (barreled 20 NOV 2008 in Barrel 5877).  I was told the VA ABC HQ discounts some whiskies this time of year to encourage whisky sales in order to free up warehouse space for rum, tequila, and vodka which sell better in Summer than whiskies which sell better in Fall and Winter.  Another factor, she said, is bulk deliveries from distillers which need space.  When I asked her if the current sale price on HMcK BIB ($30 instead of $35) meant HH's next delivery was imminent, she said she didn't know but that upcoming delivery certainly could be a factor when the HQ sets prices and picks items for sale prices.

Thanks for the update!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.