Japanese Whiskey Folks...

bayouredd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

16 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Probably a result of my recent Ben Nevis bonanza-- sorry.

Is there a post somewhere about your bonanza?   Where’s that popcorn eating emoji?

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, parksmart said:

Is there a post somewhere about your bonanza?   Where’s that popcorn eating emoji?

No, sorry-- I can't post images any longer as I've exceeded my attachment quota.

5 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

No, sorry-- I can't post images any longer as I've exceeded my attachment quota.

Now where’s the “crowd booing” emoji?

18 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Probably a result of my recent Ben Nevis bonanza-- sorry.

Ben Nevis is my default answer when someone asks me my favorite Japanese distillery, I'm very proud of that joke when I use it as I am at times quite simple. Of course there are Canadian distilleries that work here equally well and disprove the adage "you get what you pay for".

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

They gotta get that shit straightened out, I love your pics!

• I like it 2

44 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

They gotta get that shit straightened out, I love your pics!

I’ve tried to figure it out but it’s above mod pay grade. We need the boss for this one. 

• I like it 1

I’ve tried to figure it out but it’s above mod pay grade. We need the boss for this one. 

I assume this is a Taptalk thing only so many pics, unless you pay a monthly fee, maybe we should all chip inn so we can get more pictures from Marek.

Thanks guys, maybe the best solution would be to start over with a new account under an assumed name.

Regards, Dave

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Thanks guys, maybe the best solution would be to start over with a new account under an assumed name.

Regards, Dave

Same happened to me at some point I just started using photo links to Onedrive/Office365 where they get uploaded anyway, probably could do the same with any file hosting service, google drive, icloud, whatever.

13 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Same happened to me at some point I just started using photo links to Onedrive/Office365 where they get uploaded anyway, probably could do the same with any file hosting service, google drive, icloud, whatever.

Thanks. I was trying to avoid that route-- as I don't really have a seamless set-up for such. 

Jim has been notified of the issue. Til he fixes it, anyone having issues, please try clearing your cache and see if that helps. 

Biba! Joe

15 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Jim has been notified of the issue. Til he fixes it, anyone having issues, please try clearing your cache and see if that helps. 

Biba! Joe

Thanks Joe, most appreciated.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/17/2020 at 10:10 AM, Marekv8 said:

On 1/18/2020 at 8:21 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

Joe,

Just wanting to find out whether we actually have a photo upload  limit on our SB accounts, do you know?

Joe,

Just wanting to find out whether we actually have a photo upload  limit on our SB accounts, do you know?

I assume this has to do with the Taptalk app, which has a limit.

PS I’ve already mentioned the Taptalk issue, perhaps it’s something else.

• 3 months later...

Clay Risen, NY Times writer and author of several books on whiskey and whisky and occasional visitor here, wrote an article published on 5/29/2020 in The NYT RE:  Japan has no real regulations applying to "What is Japanese Whiskey?"  I thought some of you might like to read it.  The NYT allows visitors to read up to three articles per month for free.

Title is - "Some Japanese Whiskies Aren't Even from Japan.  Some Aren't Even Whisky".

Link is - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/dining/japanese-whisky.html 

• I like it 2

On 5/31/2020 at 2:17 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Clay Risen, NY Times writer and author of several books on whiskey and whisky and occasional visitor here, wrote an article published on 5/29/2020 in The NYT RE:  Japan has no real regulations applying to "What is Japanese Whiskey?"  I thought some of you might like to read it.  The NYT allows visitors to read up to three articles per month for free.

Title is - "Some Japanese Whiskies Aren't Even from Japan.  Some Aren't Even Whisky".

Link is - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/dining/japanese-whisky.html 

Great. Now even the Japanese are making crap up. I did know about sochu style "whisky" but was willing to let that slide. And fortunately it is too difficult to get and too expensive to bother with for the most part anymore. Recently got some Nikka from the Barrel (which I now have no idea what is in it. Fortunately I like it any way.) but that might be my last buy until and if they do a better job of regulating and labeling. Which may well be never!

On 6/2/2020 at 6:34 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Great. Now even the Japanese are making crap up. I did know about sochu style "whisky" but was willing to let that slide. And fortunately it is too difficult to get and too expensive to bother with for the most part anymore. Recently got some Nikka from the Barrel (which I now have no idea what is in it. Fortunately I like it any way.) but that might be my last buy until and if they do a better job of regulating and labeling. Which may well be never!

This article came at a good time for me.  While I like Hibiki, its price locally and the price of other Japanese whiskies I thought about trying made the choice between, say, Irish releases (Redbreast barrel proof, et al) and the Japanese labels available an easy choice - my Irish (and Compass Box scotches) easily outmatch my Japanese selection on taste alone, IMO, as well as value.

• I like it 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting the article Harry.  You probably saved me some money.  I can avoid that rabbit hole, and continue to seek quality value Scotch instead.

I am greatly surprised by this revelation.  It seems so entirely counter to the Japanese  business ethos.  

I wonder if this is a somewhat newer phenomenon given the recent inability to meet demand? I just find it hard to believe the the primary Suntory and Nikka brands from 8-10 years ago would be filled with just any old malt. I don’t have any such confidence in any of the newer or recently released brands though and have never bought any as a result with one exception.

indeed, according to the spreadsheet I am painstakingly reconstructing from the hundreds of receipts I have collected over the years I haven’t bought a Japanese whisky in about 5 years with the exception of the Ohishi Tokubetsu Reserve which I knew was a rice based whisky when I bought it last year.

• I like it 1

• 4 months later...
On 11/1/2020 at 9:37 AM, Respectfully said:

I picked up the Hibiki this week but haven’t tried it yet. 

J5o88iT.jpg

Then you should try it! I confess I didn't like the NAS as well as the past age stated version (though I have not done them side by side).

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, beasled said:

Interesting read at The Whisky Exchange - new Japanese labelling standards and their changes to categorising whisky from Japan: https://blog.thewhiskyexchange.com/2021/02/new-japanese-whisky-labelling-standards/

A start for sure but room to improve and long overdue.

• I like it 3

48 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

A start for sure but room to improve and long overdue.

Agreed, though that goes for the entire industry as a whole... 

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.