Japanese Whiskey Folks...

bayouredd
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've really enjoyed Yamasaki, especially the incredible 18 year old.  but found other labels often hit or miss.  Though only purchased a few recently, have to say, miss.

• 2 months later...

Hibiki 17 and 21.jpg

'Nuff said.  I'd rather be lucky than good!   😂

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 6

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

'Nuff said.  I'd rather be lucky than good!   😂

Mother’s Day bottles for Mrs. C? 😂

Biba! Joe

11 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Mother’s Day bottles for Mrs. C? 😂

Fat chance - she's into her Balvenie 21 Portwoods now.   🥳

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, GeeTen said:

Fat chance - she's into her Balvenie 21 Portwoods now.   🥳

Do you have his/hers bunkers. Or is just her bunker that you borrow from, from time to time?😛

1 hour ago, mal00768 said:

Do you have his/hers bunkers. Or is just her bunker that you borrow from, from time to time?😛

Come on, you know how this works! What's hers is hers, and what's his is theirs!

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, dad-proof said:

Come on, you know how this works! What's hers is hers, and what's his is theirs!

Not quite - What's hers is hers, and what's mine is hers!  Thar's why she's called SWMBO.   😂

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Not quite - What's hers is hers, and what's mine is hers!  Thar's why she's called SWMBO.   😂

What? no hiding places?  Come on man. 😉🤫

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, PaulO said:

What? no hiding places?  ...

Harry in DC keeps trunk of car full, just in case.

Edited by B.B. Babington
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

Harry in DC keeps trunk of car full, just in case.

Don't forget about the trash can by the recliner, behind the dining room door, and the places in the basement full of spider webs.

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...

Gifted to me by a kind but clueless to  whisk(e)y friend.  If I wanted to duplicate the tasting notes of this fine beverage, I'd pick a bottom shelf vodka. 'Product of Japan', 'Imported' what else do you need to know.  Regifting it would probably create an enemy!  Beware!!!!

0717211706.jpg

0717211705a.jpg

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

Gifted to me by a kind but clueless to  whisk(e)y friend.  If I wanted to duplicate the tasting notes of this fine beverage, I'd pick a bottom shelf vodka. 'Product of Japan', 'Imported' what else do you need to know.  Regifting it would probably create an enemy!  Beware!!!!

0717211706.jpg

0717211705a.jpg

If you didn't know, "sensei" means teacher in Japanese.  I'm guessing this bottle is teaching you not but it again.  😆

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up a Nikka Taketsuru pure malt today.  Enjoyed it at a bar recently so decided to pick up a bottle for myself.

• I like it 1

Shibui Japanese whiskey hitting the shelves here (mostly TW shelves).  Anbody have anything on this stuff other than it's new, some grain and some malt and not cheap???  Asking for a friend (HONEST!).  😆

Edited by GeeTen

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Shibui Japanese whiskey hitting the shelves here (mostly TW shelves).  Anbody have anything on this stuff other than it's new, some grain and some malt and not cheap???  Asking for a friend (HONEST!).  😆

Not cheap for me means not buying! I haven’t seen anything coming out of Japan recently that is worth the cost, including the current less expensive releases and brands..

I will stick to slowly drinking the last of my aged stated Yamazaki and Nikka from back in the day of reasonable prices until they are gone. And then I won’t worry about Japanese whisky again until the price comes back to reasonable. Presuming it ever does.

• I like it 2

On 8/17/2021 at 11:28 AM, GeeTen said:

Sounds like the usual mix of Japanese grain, some Japanese malt and imported whiskies blended together.. 

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Not cheap for me means not buying! I haven’t seen anything coming out of Japan recently that is worth the cost, including the current less expensive releases and brands..

I will stick to slowly drinking the last of my aged stated Yamazaki and Nikka from back in the day of reasonable prices until they are gone. And then I won’t worry about Japanese whisky again until the price comes back to reasonable. Presuming it ever does.

I'm following the same plan but I'm down to only a Nikka SFTB.  So I guess I'll be going on a Japanese whisky fast for awhile.  

• I like it 2

• 6 months later...

Hakushu 18 and Yamazaki 18 both seen price increase to $450 each in my market.  I'm out.  Last year they were $350 and that was barely tolerable.  

2 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

Hakushu 18 and Yamazaki 18 both seen price increase to $450 each in my market.  I'm out.  Last year they were $350 and that was barely tolerable.  

Certain scotches from Diageo also looking at significant price increases. Read down a bit past the review for the info on prices.

https://malt-review.com/2022/02/21/talisker-18-years-old/

5 hours ago, flahute said:

Certain scotches from Diageo also looking at significant price increases. Read down a bit past the review for the info on prices.

https://malt-review.com/2022/02/21/talisker-18-years-old/

thanks for the prices tip.  might have to grab a few.  looks like others have same idea as these were on the shelf, some now are not.

• 4 months later...
On 10/5/2019 at 9:44 PM, The Black Tot said:

6 years ago those were $50.

Just for those who don't know that. And at $50, they were great value.

Today. The Yamazki 12 year Japanese Single Malt Whiskey. Sell around $199. And Good luck finding the 18 Year. Everything has changed on. Yamazki & Hibiki. Japanese. Whisky. 

Hi. Guys. Recently I bought. A Couple bottles each. Yamasaki 12 & 18 Year Single Malt. With. An eye on possibly future price appreciation. Kinda taking a flyer. I kinda recall trying a couple of Japanese Whisky’s many years ago. I think one of the the bottles was an HABIKI. It was. Ok. Really hard to go back all those years. All I know is the Value of some current Japanese Bottlings. Seems to keep going up in value. Thus part of my motivation to add to my overall Whiskeys Holdings

It's always a gamble buying anything for an investment. Thats the chance we take in the free market. Both are good whiskeys, and most of us SB.com members will drink it over time. I want act like value (what I could sell a bottle for) is something I don't think of when I open an old WT 8y, but damn it's too good not to drink.

• I like it 1

On 8/8/2022 at 12:35 AM, Craig. C. Hively said:

... Recently I bought. A Couple bottles each. Yamasaki 12 & 18 Year Single Malt. With. An eye on possibly future price appreciation. Kinda taking a flyer. I kinda recall trying a couple of Japanese Whisky’s many years ago. I think one of the the bottles was an HABIKI. It was. Ok. Really hard to go back all those years. All I know is the Value of some current Japanese Bottlings. Seems to keep going up in value. ...

As LCWoody said, if buying for long term investment potential, always a gamble. Depending on what you paid, I don't expect Yamazaki 12 & 18 to appreciably appreciate longterm, as Yamazaki now retailing higher than before.    However, Yamazaki 18 might double just walking it out the door.  Yamazaki appreciation at retail msrp is crazy.  Our ABC asks $150 for 12 and $450 for 18.  They've priced me out.  But store gets 18 in and sells out of 18 in 1 day.  Hibiki on other hand doing crazy things.  Base Hibiki not reselling high.  But aged or specialty bottlings sometimes bringing insane resale.  

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.