Confess Your Unpopular Bourbon Opinion

Seasick Sailor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Confession time. I'm just finishing a pour of OWA 107. I bought the bottle over two years ago, and there are about two pours left. This is the first pour of it I have truly enjoyed. Every other time I've thought it was fair at best. 

Feels good to get that off my chest.

Of course, now I have a whole other problem. I haven't seen a bottle of this on the shelf since I bought this one. 

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Confession time. I'm just finishing a pour of OWA 107. I bought the bottle over two years ago, and there are about two pours left. This is the first pour of it I have truly enjoyed. Every other time I've thought it was fair at best. 

Feels good to get that off my chest.

Of course, now I have a whole other problem. I haven't seen a bottle of this on the shelf since I bought this one. 

How many total bottles of OWA have you had? They are usually great but I've had some clunkers. Recent batches seem to also be lacking.

OWA is a big deal "out there" but I think you'll find a much more measured opinion about it here. (Except for Joe. He is the Weller man after all.)

• I like it 2

I think OWA was a solid pour at $20 a bottle. When I see it priced at $30 I would rather grab a HM10 for $27. 

• I like it 2

4R is crap.... *runs like lightning*

Nah jk, but 4R is a peculiar one for me indeed. Except for a few outlier PS and LEs, I can't enjoy any expression and could live without it just fine. I can still somehow tell that it is put together with care and skill, but it just doesn't match my mental image of bourbon. When I first had a WT101 I thought that had to be the blueprint of bourbon. When I first had 4RSB I thought it couldn't be bourbon.

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, Kane said:

4R is crap.... *runs like lightning*

Nah jk, but 4R is a peculiar one for me indeed. Except for a few outlier PS and LEs, I can't enjoy any expression and could live without it just fine. I can still somehow tell that it is put together with care and skill, but it just doesn't match my mental image of bourbon. When I first had a WT101 I thought that had to be the blueprint of bourbon. When I first had 4RSB I thought it couldn't be bourbon.

5F6D1366-26F3-4532-82B2-7336C86E5019.gif

• I like it 3

As to what Steve said - same experience here.  I've had some sub par bottles of OWA.  It seemed like after the age statement was dropped: the quality stayed good (for a while), then some really young tasting product, then more closer to before.

Unpopular opinion -

I don't really care much for BT mash bill #1.  The love ER gets baffles me.  

1792 also is not in my wheelhouse.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Similar here...  I'm not a fan of OWA.

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

As to what Steve said - same experience here.  I've had some sub par bottles of OWA.  It seemed like after the age statement was dropped: the quality stayed good (for a while), then some really young tasting product, then more closer to before.

Unpopular opinion -

I don't really care much for BT mash bill #1.  The love ER gets baffles me.  

1792 also is not in my wheelhouse.

You took the words out of my mouth in regards to BT mash bill #1. I just flat out don't enjoy it. Mash bill #2 on the other hand I enjoy thoroughly. 

Blanton’s is meh to me. When I’m being nice, I call it elegant. When not, I call it boring. I love ETL and RHF is one of my favorite (used to be) regularly on the shelf bourbons. Also love SFTB. It’s just the regular Blanton’s I can live without. 

• I like it 2

OF, just about any expression, doesn't do it for me. I tried the 1920 and was really underwhelmed and the bottle of OF Signature I got recently just tasted off to me. 

• I like it 1

Old Forester 1920 is not good along with almost every other bourbon BF sells, 95% of the Whiskies BT/Saz sell are overrated and overpriced. 

• I like it 2

This post is really funny & a great coffee companion this AM... It's like a priest hearing confessions and trying not to snicker. Pure honesty & nobody can fault that whether they agree or not.

I have to start mine with a metaphor:

How the hell does McDonalds get the same flavor into a salad that it has in their hamburgers. I figure Ronald McD farts in the walk-in cooler regularly & that what we are tasting...

With that said, WT & products give me that same ass after taste. Even the RR SiB, bursting with flavor throws in that ass at the finish. Sorry WTers, my confession...

Edited by bayouredd
  • I like it 2

I’m not ashamed to say that sometimes, some years, certain releases of BTAC are a letdown / just not great to me. 

Same for certain Van Winkles

(nervously ducks) :(.

• I like it 3

Head down, hands in pockets, kicking the dirt: “I like Dickel”. In fact, I like a $35 Dickel bottle more than any WT bottle I have. 

• I like it 5

I know I'm going to get ridiculed by all the Kicken Chicken people but WT 101 does absolutely nothing for me.  I find it thin and hot.  I've tried it multiple times and it's the same for me every time.  Which is odd because I like the RR, RR Rye, WTRB & the WTKS.

Go ahead, ridicule away.  :P

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Charlutz said:

Blanton’s is meh to me. When I’m being nice, I call it elegant. When not, I call it boring. I love ETL and RHF is one of my favorite (used to be) regularly on the shelf bourbons. Also love SFTB. It’s just the regular Blanton’s I can live without. 

Took the words out of my mouth.  Regular Blanton's really falls flat for me.  

Also, just not a fan of anything High West.  Some people love MWND, but I just can't do it.  It really just tastes like I added a few drops of red wine into my rye.  

• I like it 1

BT regular core lines are meh, including ETL.  I like RHF way better than Blanton’s. 

• I like it 2

Ok, here we go:

- I like regular Buffalo Trace more than I should probably

- Hate Elijah Craig, the whole lineup

- Weller 12 is terrible

- Barrell Bourbon has dissapointed me time after time

- I like Garrison Brothers Single Barrel

- Knob Creek Single Barrel is just undrinkable

- OWA easily beats many bourbons 3-4x times the price

- Four Roses 125th is overrated. Good, not great.

- Old Forester Statesman is good

- Pikesville rye is forgettable

- OF 1920 has an artificial taste

- Henry McKenna 10 is awful

- Old Ezra Barrel Strength is boring as hell

- Joseph Magnus doesn't taste like bourbon at all, cask influence is too strong

- Old Fitz 9 year is terrible, thin and grassy

- RHF is... very dissapointing

- KC CS rye... give me a break

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.