Confess Your Unpopular Bourbon Opinion

Seasick Sailor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 minutes ago, Jfletchgu said:

I have a hard time finding any bottle truly worth more than $100-$150 max. For example to say a particular bourbon (pappy for example) going in some places for thousands of dollars means it’s literally 100ish times more than OGDBIB or WT101 I have a hard time understanding the logic.

You and me both.

• I like it 1

I admit that I've developed an appreciation for Beam products, which I used to associate with the lowest common denominator for bourbon. They've made some hits with recent additions to their lineup, to my tastebuds, anyway!

And, as a Weller fan, I agree that, while it's the most expensive and hardest to find of the regular Weller line, W12 is my least favorite.

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, dcbt said:

Agreed on 1910 over 1920, and I also like BH. Have you tried Witherspoon? Only Texas pour I have found enjoyable so far. I don't know when they switched over from MGP, so I assumed that's why I liked it at first, thought it was still MGP. Tastes totally different than other Texas bourbons. Doesn't have that overwhelming corn forward profile.

I agree with you that Witherspoon tastes different than other Texas bourbons and is drinkable, but it isn't something I would pick up in place of other daily drinkers I enjoy.  It would certainly rank in the top 2 or 3 of Texas bourbons I have tried.

I hate OGD114.  Really, I hate the beam funk, so pretty much their entire lineup is out.  However, certain KC SiB PS, especially 12+ yrs, are among the finest bourbon made.  

• I like it 1

Fun Topic. Here it goes:

-I’m not a fan of High West whatsoever. Every bottle I’ve had stayed in my cabinet for a long time.

-I don’t care for Jim Beam products 100 proof and under. Bookers, KCSB 120 & OGD hides that certain “funk” as people describe it.

-Larceny is my least favorite wheated bourbon. 

With that said I would still drink the above if given a glass.  I rarely turn down bourbon.

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

I’m not ashamed to say that sometimes, some years, certain releases of BTAC are a letdown / just not great to me. 

Same for certain Van Winkles

(nervously ducks) :(.

You are not wrong. 

10 hours ago, CUfan99 said:

Head down, hands in pockets, kicking the dirt: “I like Dickel”. In fact, I like a $35 Dickel bottle more than any WT bottle I have. 

I cut my teeth on Dickel 12 sometime back. Haven’t visited it in a minute. 

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, bayouredd said:

With that said, WT & products give me that same ass after taste. Even the RR SiB, bursting with flavor throws in that ass at the finish. Sorry WTers, my confession...

I've always wondered; but never crossed paths with anyone qualified to answer the question...

What exactly does 'ass' taste like???   :D

ps. I love the clown farts comment!!!  :lol:

1 hour ago, JvW said:

I enjoy Scotch over Bourbon...never thought I would say that.  Sorry!!!

DUDE!!!!!  :o   I assume you're not including personally owned brands in this comment..... ;)

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

I cut my teeth on Dickel 12 sometime back. Haven’t visited it in a minute. 

ditto.  

I toured Jack Daniels and George Dickel, before I even cared about Kentucky bourbon.  My entire world revolved around Jack and Cokes,  Dickel 12 was better, and Dickel barrel select was "the good shite" .  That was about 14 years ago.

Last time I tried Dickel 12, I was disappointed, and the the only Jack I care about now is either "dusty", Single barrel,  or SB Barrel proof.

My how things have changed.

Edited by 0895

1 hour ago, Richnimrod said:

I've always wondered; but never crossed paths with anyone qualified to answer the question...

What exactly does 'ass' taste like???   :D

ps. I love the clown farts comment!!!  :lol:

Lets just say that in my younger days, I did a lot of chemicals & leave it at that!!!:D

11 hours ago, CardsandBourbon said:

I know I'm going to get ridiculed by all the Kicken Chicken people but WT 101 does absolutely nothing for me.  I find it thin and hot.  I've tried it multiple times and it's the same for me every time.  Which is odd because I like the RR, RR Rye, WTRB & the WTKS.

Go ahead, ridicule away.  :P

I couldn't agree more. I gave in and purchased a newer release of it since everyone has been saying how good the latest batch is. While I agree it is better than what I tasted years ago...I would almost prefer vodka if I had to make a choice. I love WT to death and have a basement full of it. But that 101 just isn't worth the bottle to piss in after you empty it.

5 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

Now you got me curious about what bourbons you actually like. 

Oh, there are a lot of things I like:

Buffalo Trace, Blanton's (all of them except SR), ORVW, Stagg Jr., Four Roses Single Barrel, Four Roses store picks are excellent, BTAC obviously, PHC earlier releases (Wheat whiskey was the last good release), OWA, Woodford Four Wood...

Totally ok with WTRB and EHT SiB.

My experience with MGP is mostly positive. Hell, I even like the old age stated Jim Beam Black. And Lot 40 CS 12 year is better than any rye out there except older Saz 18 releases.

Cheers.

• I like it 1

I love this thread! It's been a fun read and really shows how different our tastes are as a group. It also shows how fortunate we are there are so many options for us to chose from.

As for my unpopular bourbon opinion....... for those who remember the '09 Old Forester Birthday Bourbon, aka "the dirty diaper", I still have fond memories of my bottle :D

• I like it 2

I don't get the love that MGP bourbons get. Most SAOS, BM, etc. are just OK at best to me. I've never been wowed by one. Their rye is much better to me. I also am not a member of the 4R cult. A few recipes I will enjoy but most don't knock my socks off. F is probably my fave all around. Their LE products have been very good to great, though. The Al Young release had one of the greatest noses of all time.  I have high hopes for the new small batch select coming but I won't be surprised if it's not my thing.

Edited by Clueby

4 hours ago, JvW said:

I enjoy Scotch over Bourbon...never thought I would say that.  Sorry!!!

There are days when I do as well, but only Islay, and only for a short time and I find my itch has been scratched and I'd rather have a good bourbon.

• I like it 1

I haven't had too many disappointments where my opinion seems to vary significantly from the general opinion here. But:

I think Weller SR is worse than Maker's Mark. Love OWA and Weller 12 though.

Can't get into Pikesville. Bottle has been open a long time and is still half full, will probably all go in cocktails.

Plenty of hyped releases (some of the BTAC and Van Winkle releases for example) don't live up to the hype and cost/difficulty to obtain them. But this didn't actually surprise me that much. I think some of the well-loved value brands get talked about a ton here (for example, WT 101), but I don't take it as people saying this is the best bourbon there is. They have developed a real love for that brand from drinking it often and are very enthusiastic about it.

One of the best things about the discussion here is that basically everyone recognizes that these are opinions dependent on personal taste, there really isn't right/wrong, and if you are drinking what you like then you are doing it right.

• I like it 2

8 minutes ago, Clueby said:

There are days when I do as well, but only Islay, and only for a short time and I find my itch has been scratched and I'd rather have a good bourbon.

A few years ago I probably was in the same boat but for the last couple years I was really enjoying some of the raunchier Non-Islay stuff quite a bit.

Dont care for FR except yellow label. I feel similarly about WT unfortunately.

Love Blantons although used to think it was very average. 

I have a problem, i love HW Campfire.

Also could rank Old Ezra 7/101 in my top 5. 

And I really like minor case rye from yellowstone. 

BT's wheated mash bill / the entire Weller line is sub-par. WSR is crap. W12 is completely forgettable. OWA makes a good mixer and would be fine at $20 or less, but isn't good neat. WLW is one of the most overrated bourbons in the market, with the exception of Pappy (don't get me started). WLW would be okay at $40, but even then I've got about 30 open bottles I would rather drink. All things considered (hype, availability), there's just too much good to great whiskey out there to bother with any of these.

BT mash #2 is nothing special either. Blanton's is basic as hell and is more or less BT's version of Basil Hayden. ETL is solid but I have no idea why people go nuts for it. RHF is below average. I would rather drink any of these over Weller, but they all fall into the "only if the bar doesn't have anything good" category.

Rebel Yell 10 is better than anything Weller, including WLW. Ditto for VS Old Fitz 12.

An average Four Roses SiB store pick is as good or better than virtually every LE from all the major players.

EC small batch and ECBP are not very good. EC18 is solid but overpriced, doubly so for EC23.

Booker's isn't very good either. Beam needs 10+ years before it stops sucking, thus: most Beam products suck. Yellowstone tastes like Beam and sucks too. Little Book is the best thing Beam is doing these days.

Orphan barrel products are quite good overall and reasonably priced (at retail - see: Barterhouse for $80 vs EC18 for $140), with some being great (Lost Prophet). I even enjoyed Gifted Horse and Entrapment (though I wouldn't buy a bottle of either). I don't care about the marketing - Elijah Craig didn't invent bourbon or barrel charing but nobody whines about that nonsense.

Edited by EarthQuake

Agree with others, this is a fun thread!

Some of mine include:

1.  Don't like older bourbon as a rule (sure, have loved some unicorn single barrels, but 95% of everything I've tried that was 18 yrs or older was just too oaky for me; and if I'm really honest - I think most of my favorite bourbons are in the 6-10 yr range)

2.  Not a big fan of PVW, nor W12 (although I do keep stock on W12 just for SB Blend)

3.  Prefer THH over Saz 18

Actually as I review these, I think the last two are just a function of the 1st.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.