Confess Your Unpopular Bourbon Opinion

Seasick Sailor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's already been said (so now I'm not afraid to)!:)  BT MB#2 is currently the most overrated MB in bourbon.  A shell of its former self, now lacking both age and complexity.  It's been reduced to nothing more than overpriced, overly difficult to locate, NAS swill.

It's been a hard fall... from shelves full of AAA 10 yr, ETL, Hancock's, RHF and Blanton's. 

Where 'oh where, did all that old AAA stock go? ;)

• I like it 2

53 minutes ago, fosmith said:

I hate those tall bottles (I'm talking about you, Col. Taylor) that seem to be so popular these days.  They won't fit in my liquor cabinet, dammit!  <_<

Ha, I'm the exact opposite.  I wish everything came in taller, wine type bottles for my small-ish shelf on top of the liquor cabinet.

Some of those oddly shaped ones really hog space.

29 minutes ago, evasive said:

I opened a Bowmore 12 last night and confirmed that if I had to pick one whisk(e)y for the rest of time, that’s the one.

Or in my case, sometimes it’s hard to beat some smoky Ardbeg.

• I like it 3

Or in my case, sometimes it’s hard to beat some smoky Ardbeg.

I have a near-empty Ardbeg 10 in there. The correct answer is all the Islays and west-coast malts (love Springback) but I gotta pay for my other hobbies, too.

I’ve never been blown away by Blanton’s. But considering it’s a single barrel, it could just be the luck of the draw. But that seems like less of an unpopular opinion than I’d thought.

My preference for WT101 in bourbon cocktails seems to be an unpopular one locally. None of the ‘finer’ bars or restaurants stock it. They probably don’t think it’s classy enough.

On 2/9/2019 at 4:41 PM, Jfletchgu said:

Now you got me curious about what bourbons you actually like. 

Me too.

I hate those tall bottles (I'm talking about you, Col. Taylor) that seem to be so popular these days.  They won't fit in my liquor cabinet, dammit!  <_>

Ha totally agree, one reason to like ETL, it’s so convenient to store.

On 2/9/2019 at 6:52 PM, Adam777 said:

Fun Topic. Here it goes:

-I’m not a fan of High West whatsoever. Every bottle I’ve had stayed in my cabinet for a long time.

-I don’t care for Jim Beam products 100 proof and under. Bookers, KCSB 120 & OGD hides that certain “funk” as people describe it.

-Larceny is my least favorite wheated bourbon. 

With that said I would still drink the above if given a glass.  I rarely turn down bourbon.

I agree with you on the Larceny, I had heard great reviews and went out and bought two bottles the same day....big mistake.   I like Fitzgerald Prime much better and cheaper!

I really have enjoyed reading all these posts.  It seems to me we like to talk the big high priced bourbons but deep down we really like the old standards that are mid range priced or even the bottom shelf.  You know there is nothing wrong with that.  I am sitting here right now enjoying a couple of drams of Evans Williams Bottled In Bond and Very Old Barton Bottled In Bond......good stuff!

• I like it 1

Ha totally agree, one reason to like ETL, it’s so convenient to store.

Same with the Bowman bottles. They’re flat in front and back.

I guess if I had to pick an opinion that might be unpopular with others.  I find some of the more common value stars to not be in my wheelhouse.

* OGD114 - I have had several bottles over the years, just not into it.  I do like OGD BIB.

* VOB BIB - Same thing, I have tried several bottles, kept saying no more.  Bought more and then I couldn't find it.  Its scarcity saved me from myself.  I do like the higher proof 1792s (SB, FP).  Not sure why I didn't enjoy a 100 proof, formerly 6 year old version.

* BT - Same thing, I have bought many bottles over the years.  Started out liking it, now I pass.  Not sure if changing tastes or changing profile.  However, I do enjoy CEHT and ER10.  I loved OC10.  In fact, those offerings I did like from BT are now either no longer available or unattainable.

* HHBIB, 6 year.  Great for making cookies and pie.  Just don't enjoy as a drinking choice.

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I had to take the shelf out in order to accommodate taller bottles. <_< Ditto with the opposing side of my cabinet. 

Biba! Joe

Tell ya what,

My cabinet was built specifically to accommodate them, so I take em off your hands.?

You could just drill a couple new holes higher up so you can put the shelf back?

Huge fan of Bourbons, Ryes, Single Malts etc. as long as they are well made and of a value relative to their quality and availability, but If I had to pick one desert island whisky it would Be Highland Park 18 yr. What an incredible dram!

• I like it 1

My unpopular opinions:

Maker's Mark Cask Strength is better than WLW or any other cask strength wheated bourbon currently produced.

MGP makes average, at best, whiskey and more often than not its not very good.

Lot B is better than ORVW most years as I find ORVW too boring even with the extra ethanol kick.

Orphan Barrel series has been one of the best new lines in recent history.

• I like it 3

33 minutes ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

My unpopular opinions:

Maker's Mark Cask Strength is better than WLW or any other cask strength wheated bourbon currently produced.

Lot B is better than ORVW most years as I find ORVW too boring even with the extra ethanol kick.

These are certainly some bold ones!

At risk of pissing off the cult (and I do love me some FR bourbon), the Four Roses recipe naming codes are stupid. What is the point of always including the O and the S if they never change? Someone asked me about what the codes meant recently and I was explaining it to them. They had this reaction (O&S are pointless) and I really had no good justification to provide. It’s stupid. Just list the mashbill and yeast letters already.......

• I like it 6

These are the good old days.  There's no glut coming.  If it happens it won't yield what the last one did.

Secondary isn't as evil as it's made out to be, it's just inconvenient and expensive.  In some cases and for some people it's totally worth it.

6 minutes ago, berto said:

These are the good old days.  There's no glut coming.  If it happens it won't yield what the last one did.

Secondary isn't as evil as it's made out to be, it's just inconvenient and expensive.  In some cases and for some people it's totally worth it.

I think premium bottles are here to stay but a glut is inevitable and those two things may just go hand in hand.  The scotch industry has record sales in Dollars but overall volumes are down due to a decline in blends and lower shelf bottles, I think bourbon will go the same route as people reach more for the top shelf the middle and lower will get ignored more, couple that with increased production and new operations opening up and you have yourself a lot of excess whiskey at some point in the future, I think that point in time is also later rather than sooner.  I think this forum is a bit of an outlier in that there is a lot of respect here for the bottom and middle shelves, I'm not so sure that's common of the greater bourbon buying public.  

I’ve been a bourbon lover for a while but the last year I’ve really gotten into it. With that said it appears I’m probably a minority that loves OWA. I do also really like BT and Eagle Rare. Haven’t had much HTF stuff besides some tastings a buddy provided of some BTAC offerings. Haven’t had but a couple tastes of barrel proofs but bought the newest A119 ECBP blew my mind and I’m not a big ECSmB fan.

-OFBB is terrible. I read the reviews and hear the hype, but I absolutely hate the bottle that I have. I keep hoping that it’ll open up, but it never has. It is easily the most disappointing purchase I’ve ever made. 

-ECBP is wildly overrated. Stagg Jr, CEHTBP, Blanton’s STFB, and even KCBP are better bourbons. 

-I don’t like ETL. It lacks flavor and isn’t memorable in any way. 

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

My unpopular opinions:

You win the thread.

• I like it 4

7 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

Don't you have a huge collection of WFE bottles? Aren't those MGP sourced, or am I missing something? Not trying to be antagonistic, just a bit confused and curious.

23 minutes ago, Soberiquet said:

Don't you have a huge collection of WFE bottles? Aren't those MGP sourced, or am I missing something? Not trying to be antagonistic, just a bit confused and curious.

Not every WFE is MGP they source from all over.

10 hours ago, Soberiquet said:

I don't believe that they have ever sourced bourbon from MGP, only rye which I don't have that many of.  I don't mind MGP older rye but I don't consider it mind blowing.  On the back of the WFE bottles, I do believe they say the state of distillation but now I'll have to go check them all.

Edited by ThirstyinOhio

Blanton's is meh... So is Elmer (yet i love RHF)... ORVW is barely better than OWA... MM tastes like varnish and sharpie pen... I wouldnt pay 25 dollars for a bottle of OF 1920... OE 7 BP is the most overrated release in a long time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.