Confess Your Unpopular Bourbon Opinion

Seasick Sailor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since EC went NAS, it isn't the same.... and not in a good way.

I don’t really think that is an unpopular opinion. I think many, if not most of us would agree with that, with the exception being some of the private barrel selections of EC.

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I don’t really think that is an unpopular opinion. I think many, if not most of us would agree with that, with the exception being some of the private barrel selections of EC.

There’s many things now I only buy if that is the case.  

14 hours ago, Jfletchgu said:

Shhhh....let’s try to keep that our little secret. 

Pulled a bottle of this from the bunker a week or so ago and rather enjoying it. Not super complex but a good deal at $24 IMHO and may like better than WSR. Let's hope it stays below $30.

• I like it 1

On 2/13/2019 at 10:46 PM, Tony Santana said:

Michters 10 year is massively overrated.  So is MWND.

I haven't had every Orphan Barrel release, but the ones I've had have been enjoyable (even Gifted Horse) and worth the money.

Agree on M10.  Could not disagree on the second point more.  MWND is in my top 5. That’s the one I bring on road trips.

completely agree on orphan barrel.  I haven’t had them all but really enjoy forged oak and rhetoric.  One of the more distinct and notable noses around.  

Agree on M10.  Could not disagree on the second point more.  MWND is in my top 5. That’s the one I bring on road trips.

completely agree on orphan barrel.  I haven’t had them all but really enjoy forged oak and rhetoric.  One of the more distinct and notable noses around.  

I REALLY like Forged Oak. BarterHouse was pretty darn tasty as well.

2 minutes ago, BMartin42 said:

I REALLY like Forged Oak. BarterHouse was pretty darn tasty as well.

I like FO as well but like BH more. It's pretty similar to EC18 at 2/3 the price. 

• I like it 3

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:14 PM, PowderKeg said:

I'll throw another one out - Makers Mark is not the be all, end all, most beautiful and magically fantasmagorical must-see-or-die bourbon tour stop in the known bourbon-verse.     

That title belongs to C&K...?

Now gimmie an AAAA-MEN!!!!!!

While the C&K property is gorgeous, until they actually do tastings of the whiskey they are making I think MM still deserves the crown.

Not sure this is unpopular, but sometimes instead of drinking a pour of something nice in a glencarin and analyzing it, I like to mix up a boulevardier, Manhattan, or Old Fashioned and just kick back and relax. 

• I like it 1

I basically buy nothing from BT or B-F anymore.

It comes down to: products unavailable, prices too high, brands discontinued or changed for the worse.

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, PaulO said:

I basically buy nothing from BT or B-F anymore.

It comes down to: products unavailable, prices too high, brands discontinued or changed for the worse.

I certainly hear you on BT. But I kinda feel like B-F is on a good course recently. I think a lot of people have enjoyed the Whiskey Row series as well as the Statesman, and a lot of people like the Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof. Granted, those aren’t cheap so may contribute to your “prices too high” consideration. That said, they have also added the Early Times Bottled in Bond and the Old Forester Rye, both of which are affordable and quality products, in my opinion anyway. They have also been doing Old Forester private barrel picks, and some of those have been really good. 

I still think OFBB is over hyped and over priced for what it is currently, but that has happened to pretty much all the primary LEs by now....

18 minutes ago, BottledInBond said:

I certainly hear you on BT. But I kinda feel like B-F is on a good course recently. I think a lot of people have enjoyed the Whiskey Row series as well as the Statesman, and a lot of people like the Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Proof. Granted, those aren’t cheap so may contribute to your “prices too high” consideration. That said, they have also added the Early Times Bottled in Bond and the Old Forester Rye, both of which are affordable and quality products, in my opinion anyway. They have also been doing Old Forester private barrel picks, and some of those have been really good. 

I still think OFBB is over hyped and over priced for what it is currently, but that has happened to pretty much all the primary LEs by now....

Agree with everything you say and I haven't even seen the OF rye yet.

Statesman was a great bottle and a bit of a sleeper due to being seen as a movie tie-in gimmick by many.

The only BT products I currently buy are private barrels that I taste first. I don't even look at the CEHT lineup anymore due to price.

That was unpopular bourbon opinion #1. My other unpopular opinion is that I abhor hoarders.

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, DCFan said:

That was unpopular bourbon opinion #1. My other unpopular opinion is that I abhor hoarders.

Do you hate hoarders that stack deep out of fear that their favorites will be in short supply or non existent in the future?  Or do you hate hoarders that stack deep for investment purposes?  Or both?

Do you hate hoarders that stack deep out of fear that their favorites will be in short supply or non existent in the future?  Or do you hate hoarders that stack deep for investment purposes?  Or both?

Yes

Urban Dictionary may pick up and run with a new word “Abhoarder” to describe people who abhor people who hoard.  :D

Use:  Dude, I am an unapologetic abhoarder.  Those shelf clearing asshats  are ruining it for everyone.”

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

High octane bourbons taste like rocket fuel. There I said it. ?

I don't get it, what's wrong with rocket fuel?

• I like it 1

I thought that was gin. Which I also enjoy a good Beefeater martini.
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

Yes

It must stink, having to frequent a forum with so many people you hate.

What bourbons do you like? Only thing I can recall you liking is bourbon cream. Nothing wrong with that but maybe bourbon isn’t your thing. Maybe try to get into cocktail blending or wine or beer?

deep breath.... Blanton's 93 proof SiB is better than Gold or STFB..

*runs*

• I like it 1

It must stink, having to frequent a forum with so many people you hate.

The hoarders are nearly as tiring as the wiseasses but I muddle through.
  • I like it 3

The hoarders are nearly as tiring as the wiseasses but I muddle through.

Pot meet Kettle!
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.