Confess Your Unpopular Bourbon Opinion

Seasick Sailor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not nearly as salty as your posts itt

Sorry it’s just that a picture of a bunch of exceptional but unopened bottles only hurts your argument. Now if you had posted a comparable picture of open bottles....
  • I like it 1

4 minutes ago, BusterChestnut said:

Yea, and that’s fine. Just don’t see why I get accused of being some kind of tater bc I don’t like Knob Creek or OGD

Of course.  Like you said, this is a fun thread, and I think HN was just yankin'  your chain a bit.  Probably the "trash" part.  That's a little more pejorative than "I don't like".  But, no matter.  It's all opinion anyway!  

• I like it 1

Of course.  Like you said, this is a fun thread, and I think HN was just yankin'  your chain a bit.  Probably the "trash" part.  That's a little more pejorative than "I don't like".  But, no matter.  It's all opinion anyway!  

Yes! [mention=15239]BusterChestnut[/mention] I apologize I just thought it was funny that you came out of the woodwork just to tell everyone how much you hate Beam. It’s not an unpopular opinion but I don’t think people give the product a chance. If you have a local bar or restaurant that you like that might have brought in a barrel pick of KC give it a shot you might be surprised.

14 hours ago, BusterChestnut said:

Huh? If I don’t like the products beam puts out I’m “chasing hype?” Ridiculous comment for what I assumed was a fun thread. Just because I’m new to the site doesn’t mean I’m somehow new to bourbon.

Regardless of that nonsense, does anyone on here think Beam is putting out better products that 4R, HH, WT, Sazarac? 

But since you brought up chasing hype, here’s some for you 

31E2D3F8-9001-4779-B9A6-D572E9F8B279.jpeg

I 100% think Beam makes better bourbon than Sazerac currently, but that doesn't mean I think you should. 

13 hours ago, Paddy said:

^^^^It's all good.  You have to admit it's a pretty strong statement coming from a newb who we really haven't got to know, but hey... we all like what we like.

And... btw, there is no doubt in my mind that Beam is currently putting out a better product  than 4R. ;)

I might agree with this as well though QPR on Four Roses Private selections is still very good here in the Garden State they are the only 4R I generally feel compelled to buy. 

20 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Yes! [mention=15239]BusterChestnut[/mention] I apologize I just thought it was funny that you came out of the woodwork just to tell everyone how much you hate Beam. It’s not an unpopular opinion but I don’t think people give the product a chance. If you have a local bar or restaurant that you like that might have brought in a barrel pick of KC give it a shot you might be surprised.

No worries. Just making it clear I’m not some pappiez tater. I have a ton of unopened bottles but that just bc I got into the habit of collecting. I have more SAOS SB ryes unopened that anything bc I really like the barrel pick I found. I have felt label Henry McKenna bc they were $19 for the longest time and great. I found an few Old Overholt bottles from the 80s (United distillers) in Italy and brought them back bc why not?

I originally had 6 Willett 25s... one didn’t make it out of bardstown... 

i like the hobby, I like the history. I hate the current market but look forward to the bust :)

• I like it 4

No worries. Just making it clear I’m not some pappiez tater. I have a ton of unopened bottles but that just bc I got into the habit of collecting. I have more SAOS SB ryes unopened that anything bc I really like the barrel pick I found. I have felt label Henry McKenna bc they were $19 for the longest time and great. I found an few Old Overholt bottles from the 80s (United distillers) in Italy and brought them back bc why not?

i like the hobby, I like the history. I hate the current market but look forward to the bust [emoji4]

Wow awesome bottles, where are you, have glencairn will travel.

Picking up bottles like old McKenna SB before it was cool definitely puts you in non tater category. I remember mostly passing on those as I thought it was a cheap bourbon knockoff of Irish Whiskey. I thought, hey I can get Tullamore Dew for the same price or less. I was pretty clueless 15 years back, well still am but learning.
  • I like it 2

One thing I can say without a shadow of a doubt.  Beam is putting out a much better distillate than Willett. 

Unfair comparison?  Yes...

Still true, regardless...

12 hours ago, BusterChestnut said:

i like the hobby, I like the history. I hate the current market but look forward to the bust :)

I remember passing on those Willett 25 ryes at the gift shop when they were $300 because I didn’t really think any whiskey was worth a $300 retail price. Oh how the times have changed, and yes I would buy them at that price now for sure. Good for you, enjoy those. Man I love aged ryes. 

I remember passing on those Willett 25 ryes at the gift shop when they were $300 because I didn’t really think any whiskey was worth a $300 retail price. Oh how the times have changed, and yes I would buy them at that price now for sure. Good for you, enjoy those. Man I love aged ryes. 

I heard they say forever and than the cure to market happened and they disappeared in a flash and are selling now for much more.

I guess not an unpopular opinion - several Beam products definitely in my wheelhouse.

An observation from reading earlier posts -

It seems like when Old Forester 1920 was a new release; it got all kinds of fanfare.  Then, I started to read some don't care for it.

Maker's Mark CS appears to be the opposite.  It got kind of mixed reviews when new.  Now some people say it's really good.

I guess not an unpopular opinion - several Beam products definitely in my wheelhouse.

An observation from reading earlier posts -
It seems like when Old Forester 1920 was a new release; it got all kinds of fanfare.  Then, I started to read some don't care for it.
Maker's Mark CS appears to be the opposite.  It got kind of mixed reviews when new.  Now some people say it's really good.

Very good observations, it’s odd how everyone knocked MM CS and loves OF 1920 but opinion seems to have changed.

I enjoyed both from the beginning but haven’t had 1920 in a good year+ now.

A couple that get a good amount of love but have never been a match for me: ER, Std or store pick, never did it for me, I get a charry bitterness from every ER I have ever tried and the one bottle I regretted purchasing. I do like its younger sibling BT but ER? no thank you. MM, again not a fan as it reads a bit too thin, bland and harsh to this palate. MM 46 I was convinced was tainted when I first had it, then tried again a few months later from a different source, apparently whatever that is is what it’s supposed to taste like, HARD pass for me, right up there with JBW for all time least favorite.

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Russel's Reserve is Meh.  Even the barrel picks that I've tried.     

Yeah, I struggle with RR sometimes.  Even the store picks.  Most of the time I like the WT 101 as much or better.  And, it's 1/3 the price! 

• I like it 1

man, I thought I was the only one that didn't like what 4R was putting out the last couple of years, it just tasted off to me.  So I guess that's not an unpopular bourbon opinion anymore... but I've avoided joining the cult for quite some time now...

4R is crap.... *runs like lightning*

Nah jk, but 4R is a peculiar one for me indeed. Except for a few outlier PS and LEs, I can't enjoy any expression and could live without it just fine. I can still somehow tell that it is put together with care and skill, but it just doesn't match my mental image of bourbon. When I first had a WT101 I thought that had to be the blueprint of bourbon. When I first had 4RSB I thought it couldn't be bourbon.

I thought I was the only person here that wasn’t a fan of 4R SB or otherwise ... of course I am new here and this is my first comment...
I am really just learning bourbon, as I really only started sipping it the last couple of years.
I must confess I enjoy EVan Williams single barrel on occasion... I just finished my first bottle of it last night and am contemplating buying another

8 hours ago, Sprout007 said:

I thought I was the only person here that wasn’t a fan of 4R SB or otherwise ... of course I am new here and this is my first comment...
I am really just learning bourbon, as I really only started sipping it the last couple of years.
I must confess I enjoy EVan Williams single barrel on occasion... I just finished my first bottle of it last night and am contemplating buying another

Nothing wrong with any of the EW expressions.. EWB and the others are all at least decent pours and a great value for the money.. IMO.. The Single Barrels of ole were very sought after also and by many on this site I know as well..

11 minutes ago, hollywood said:

Nothing wrong with any of the EW expressions.. EWB and the others are all at least decent pours and a great value for the money.. IMO.. The Single Barrels of ole were very sought after also and by many on this site I know as well..

I remember eagerly awaiting the release each year of the EWSB 10-15 years ago.  But recent years releases have been various versions of drabness, IMO.  HH has let this line really fade, unfortunately.  Probably, unavoidable with Parker Beam’s health battles, and sad passing, but I would like to see this label be reinvigorated with higher quality whiskey.

The 1994 was a spectacular release, FWIW.  

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I remember eagerly awaiting the release each year of the EWSB 10-15 years ago.  But recent years releases have been various versions of drabness, IMO.  HH has let this line really fade, unfortunately.  Probably, unavoidable with Parker Beam’s health battles, and sad passing, but I would like to see this label be reinvigorated with higher quality whiskey.

I concur.. The EW single barrels aren’t what they were say 15 years ago.. Near that time I remember some trades with other members that included bottles involving early GTS releases with each party involved pleased with their “deal” Says what kind of product that was being released...but nonetheless I still feel a good value for what’s being put out today..

6 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Not that age alone is the end all be all, but what age range did the "better" releases of the past tend to fall in? I seem to recall some barrels around 10 years old a ways back, but I wasn't drinking EW SiB 15+ years ago. I ran across an 8.5 year old barrel of the 2010 vintage recently, which is the oldest I have seen in some time.

Not that age alone is the end all be all, but what age range did the "better" releases of the past tend to fall in? I seem to recall some barrels around 10 years old a ways back, but I wasn't drinking EW SiB 15+ years ago. I ran across an 8.5 year old barrel of the 2010 vintage recently, which is the oldest I have seen in some time.

They were 10 yrs or within a month of 10 yrs back then.

On 3/16/2019 at 6:54 PM, fosmith said:

Yeah, I struggle with RR sometimes.  Even the store picks.  Most of the time I like the WT 101 as much or better.  And, it's 1/3 the price! 

I've tried it several times, and it's a struggle.   Regular, store picks, private picks.  Just not a fan.   100% agree with the WT101.   Love that stuff

I've tried it several times, and it's a struggle.   Regular, store picks, private picks.  Just not a fan.   100% agree with the WT101.   Love that stuff

This is interesting. I can see someone not liking RRSB and also not liking WT101. I can also imagine some not liking WT101 but liking RRSB but not vice versa.

Maybe just bad luck with the RR or maybe you should try adding a bit of water to bring the proof down. Or heck maybe you just get better batches of WT101 than I do but I haven’t noticed that much of a variation even when comparing say 2010 WT101 to more recent bottlings.

On 3/17/2019 at 4:58 PM, smokinjoe said:

I drank ewsb pretty regularly around 04 or 05....:not realizing exactly what I had in my glass. I still check shelves of mom and pop stores for older releases. It is one I keep handy but the drop in age shows. The massive presence of barrel proofers has surely over shadowed the balanced/suble/nuanced profile that Parker developed. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.