Confess Your Unpopular Bourbon Opinion

Seasick Sailor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Here are two unpopular opinions:

1. This is the worst/dumbest time ever to buy whiskey in my adult lifetime (since the 90s). ie the worst QPR, and the biggest seller's market. The customer, far from being always right, can take it or leave it.

2. Probably 70% of the monster bottles I've bought in the last two years have been rums.

But hey, they lead to other more popular thoughts:

1. Feverish production increases mean we're going to be in a buyer's market again at some point.

2. Where's my debit card? I've got rums to buy this week.

I still bought a lot of bourbon on my last lengthy (yet still frenetic) US visit. But it was palpably harder to find a good store pick than it was even a year ago. Ah well, life is long.

• I like it 4

I know I'm going to have to duck but, WSR reminds me of 2017 WLW.  I'm not saying it's as good but I get similar pear notes on the nose and a similar (although muted) sweet wheater flavor profile. 

• 4 weeks later...

My unpopular opinion is that I don't want to start bunkering. The reasons I have for this are several.

1. I have a family and I am not a man of great wealth, and would feel silly and immoderate tying up thousands of dollars in whiskey.

2. I got into whiskey in 2013, so I missed out on the days when bunkering really made sense.

3. I am optimistic that there will always be something good, or something new and interesting, on store shelves. I only consume about a bottle a month so I really believe this will be the case.

In reality this has been a bit of a hard opinion to stick to. I sometimes wish I had grabbed some extra bottles of discontinued stuff, but I don't actually regret not grabbing them (well there were 2 store picks I regret not buying a spare of). I do have a tiny bunker (13 bottles), but all are things I either bought out of state and can't get at home, or were on sale for a great price. All are going to be opened as I make room in my open bottle cabinet.

• I like it 7

On 3/12/2019 at 9:40 PM, BusterChestnut said:

Everything Beam is trash

I must admit - I do have a trash mouth for the BIB (only in cocktails) and Distiller's Cut (neat when I can't decide on what else to sip).  The 86 proofs can be 86'd though, except for the 12 YR which I haven't tasted.  Because I won't buy it at 86 proof.  Oh, yeah, the Beam SmB's that don't have "Beam" in the name and, of course, OGD BIB don't count.

• I like it 2

My god, I can't believe that I'm about to confess this, but what the heck: I absolutely LOVE bourbon and Coke cocktails. Hell, I even love Jack & Coke. Maybe its the Tennessean in me and thus a cultural thing, I don't know. Jack & Coke and Bourbon & Coke are what everyone drank when I was growing up in the '70's and '80's in TN and GA. Even today when I smell and taste it, its "liquid comfort food," much like mac-and-cheese, sausage gravy and biscuits, pizza, peanut butter and jelly, etc.

I've made the mistake of admitting this guilty pleasure to my colleagues in the industry, only to be shamed and ridiculed, or mercilessly laughed at. Although I've certainly been guilty of my fair share of snobbery too, I think sometimes things get a little too "precious" when it comes to the way we drink our bourbon, whether done neat, in fancy cocktails, or with the kind of glass ware we prefer, etc. Sometimes its good to just enjoy it the way it suits us in the moment. 

On that note, after a few grueling days of preparing my taxes to get to my accountant, I'm having some much needed liquid comfort food of bourbon and Coke on this beautiful spring evening, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it! ?

Cheers all,
Nancy

IMG_2246.jpg

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 15

58 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

My god, I can't believe that I'm about to confess this, but what the heck: I absolutely LOVE bourbon and Coke cocktails.

After my initial complete and total shock at reading this, I realized what a gift you've given us with your "confession". The fact that a person with your abilities, background and knowledge loves something as simple as whiskey and Coke should help EVERYONE understand that it's OK to like what you like, regardless of what it is, how you drink it, or what anyone else thinks of it. There truly is no right or wrong.

Thanks Nancy!

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 13

7 hours ago, Soberiquet said:

My unpopular opinion is that I don't want to start bunkering. The reasons I have for this are several.

1. I have a family and I am not a man of great wealth, and would feel silly and immoderate tying up thousands of dollars in whiskey.

2. I got into whiskey in 2013, so I missed out on the days when bunkering really made sense.

3. I am optimistic that there will always be something good, or something new and interesting, on store shelves. I only consume about a bottle a month so I really believe this will be the case.

In reality this has been a bit of a hard opinion to stick to. I sometimes wish I had grabbed some extra bottles of discontinued stuff, but I don't actually regret not grabbing them (well there were 2 store picks I regret not buying a spare of). I do have a tiny bunker (13 bottles), but all are things I either bought out of state and can't get at home, or were on sale for a great price. All are going to be opened as I make room in my open bottle cabinet.

Well!   It sounds to me like you've found your own particular brand of "Bourbon Zen", Soberiquet.   ;)

And, it sounds as though a decent amount of rational thought helped get you there.   Never a bad thing, despite what many seem to espouse nowadays.  :o

If I had it to do aver again....   :mellow:

OK.   I'm probably kidding myself.     I'd likely not be able to control my overwhelming desire to stock up on as many of the brands I've really liked as I could afford at the time, I suppose.   :lol:   No regrets.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

After my initial complete and total shock at reading this, I realized what a gift you've given us with your "confession". The fact that a person with your abilities, background and knowledge loves something as simple as whiskey and Coke should help EVERYONE understand that it's OK to like what you like, regardless of what it is, how you drink it, or what anyone else thinks of it. There truly is no right or wrong.

Thanks Nancy!

Thanks @Vosgar! Its sort of like "coming out" that you actually like bourbon and Coke! (LOL) At the end of the day, even if we train ourselves to becoming more "sophisticated" in our likes and dislikes, there's something to just liking whatever we like and not always having to be precious about it. 

By the way, for a little more of an "uppity" bourbon and coke cocktail, the Mexican coke with sugar cane as opposed to the American version with high fructose corn syrup really dresses the cocktail up a notch or two. That's how I had mine this evening. It made for really a delicious comfort cocktail. 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 6

I love Mexican coke. I can accept a whiskey and coke if it’s cane-based. 

I know Mountain Dew and Turkey is a thing. Maybe I need to find that throwback MD to try it. 

• I like it 1

I don't drink much pop anymore, but the "throwback" Pepsi and MD are much better tasting than the standard versions.

I don't mix bourbon and soft drinks myself.  I feel like mixing the higher end brands would be sort of a waste.  Stuff like: JB, JD, or CC, there's a strong tradition of mixing with soda.

You haven't lived if you haven't smuggled bourbon into a Southern college football game to slip into a souvenir cup fountain Coke. The scent of Jack and Coke hanging thick in the air is as much a part of the atmosphere as the band and cheerleaders, and I was in the band!

• I like it 4

4 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

Thanks @Vosgar! Its sort of like "coming out" that you actually like bourbon and Coke! (LOL) At the end of the day, even if we train ourselves to becoming more "sophisticated" in our likes and dislikes, there's something to just liking whatever we like and not always having to be precious about it. 

By the way, for a little more of an "uppity" bourbon and coke cocktail, the Mexican coke with sugar cane as opposed to the American version with high fructose corn syrup really dresses the cocktail up a notch or two. That's how I had mine this evening. It made for really a delicious comfort cocktail. 

Cheers,

Nancy

The best Coca-Cola I ever had was made in Guyana, with Demerara sugar. Just thought I'd plant this seed...

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, dad-proof said:

You haven't lived if you haven't smuggled bourbon into a Southern college football game to slip into a souvenir cup fountain Coke. The scent of Jack and Coke hanging thick in the air is as much a part of the atmosphere as the band and cheerleaders, and I was in the band!

Indeed.... ahhh, the gridiron! ;)  yes, I can detect a strong scent in the air...... I’ve smuggled as small as half pints-pints in cowboy boots up to two fifth bottles in a full length overcoat into an Alabama-Auburn game..

• I like it 1

There are certain soda pairings that I do really enjoy. Sun Drop and George Dickel (Dickel Drop) is great. I also started enjoying a Jameson with Sprite. It was very popular in Dublin when I was last there and thought “when in Dublin”....

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

By the way, for a little more of an "uppity" bourbon and coke cocktail, the Mexican coke with sugar cane as opposed to the American version with high fructose corn syrup really dresses the cocktail up a notch or two.

Are there any particular laser codes on the Mexican Coke bottles that we should seek out?  :lol:

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Soberiquet said:

THIS is so true on so many levels.  It is also true even if you more than doubled your consumption.

• I like it 2

Nothin’ at all wrong with a bourbon & Coke, or a Jack & Coke. A number of years ago, I used to bowl with a team whose members drink of choice was Jack & Coke. Or maybe I should say Coke & Jack. This was at a small bowling alley and the folks working the bar didn’t use no automatic pourers. ;) There were times that I swear there was more Jack than Coke in them. Beer (drink) frames were always hotly contested. Needless to say, I had a few interesting nights at that place. 

Something of note about this place and it’s bar. Once I was buying my “obligatory”  round of drinks when I noticed the gal behind the bar putting a bottle of Walker’s Deluxe back in the rail. Their bar rail was down low and out of sight, so I’d never seen it before. I asked if I could look at it, and she handed me the bottle. It was an older tax stamped bottle. :o After that, it was Walker’s & Coke for me. I asked what the deal was with the Walker’s. It turns out they’d ordered it for a couple of their regular their customers, and those customers didn’t come in much any more. The good news is that they had a shelf full of bottles in the back room, and the owner was willing to sell me a couple. :) The bad news is that she wouldn’t sell me the lone Peoria bottle. :(

Sorry about the thread drift. Carry on.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

There are certain soda pairings that I do really enjoy. Sun Drop and George Dickel (Dickel Drop) is great. I also started enjoying a Jameson with Sprite. It was very popular in Dublin when I was last there and thought “when in Dublin”....

I love a kalimotxo on a hot day. The first sip was weird, but it doesn’t take much more than that to like them.

17 hours ago, dad-proof said:

@dad-proof, wow, as a native southerner I couldn't help but have a hearty laugh about this. I can vividly remember that strong aroma of Jack and Coke at the UT Knoxville Saturday football games. I remember that smell at neighborhood or family barbecues, concerts, pretty much any kind of event. It brings back fond memories. As a complete aside, I see that you're in Decatur. I lived in Gwinnett Co. from 1977 to 1982.

@The Black Tot, I'm going to have to seek out the Guyanese version of Coke with the Demerera sugar. That could be a whole new spin. 

@PaulO, I think you're absolutely right that it is a waste to throw higher end brands in with the soda, although I sheepishly have to admit that I've done that before. In fact, last night I added some left over barrel lab samples of some 13 year old bourbon to the Coke and mixed that in with some cheaper bourbon just to give the thing a little more depth. However, JD or something similar was practically made to pair with soda, like peanut butter and jelly. I hadn't thought about using the throwback MD with it. I'll have to try that one. 

At any rate, I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one who likes this combination. 

Cheers all, 

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 2

3 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@dad-proof, wow, as a native southerner I couldn't help but have a hearty laugh about this. I can vividly remember that strong aroma of Jack and Coke at the UT Knoxville Saturday football games. I remember that smell at neighborhood or family barbecues, concerts, pretty much any kind of event. It brings back fond memories. As a complete aside, I see that you're in Decatur. I lived in Gwinnett Co. from 1977 to 1982.

@The Black Tot, I'm going to have to seek out the Guyanese version of Coke with the Demerera sugar. That could be a whole new spin. 

@PaulO, I think you're absolutely right that it is a waste to throw higher end brands in with the soda, although I sheepishly have to admit that I've done that before. In fact, last night I added some left over barrel lab samples of some 13 year old bourbon to the Coke and mixed that in with some cheaper bourbon just to give the thing a little more depth. However, JD or something similar was practically made to pair with soda, like peanut butter and jelly. I hadn't thought about using the throwback MD with it. I'll have to try that one. 

At any rate, I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only one who likes this combination. 

Cheers all, 

Nancy

Uh, ginger ale improves ANY indifferent whiskey (but not whisky).  I am living proof, having experimented with additives to nonpotable whiskey (but not whisky) for over 50 years.  I think we ought to call whiskey (but not whisky) and ginger ale a "Highball".  Betcha nobody's thought of THIS combo before.:ph34r:  ASIDE - my high school best buddy liked scotch and Coke.  I didn't care because I wasn't drinking it.

• I like it 1

I have a friend who once tried Blanton's neat and, while they liked it, knowing that Blanton's is a little harder to find they asked if it was ok to add Sprite since they thought it was too strong.  I told them it fine.  They are welcome to enjoy it however they like.  They now request Blanton's and Sprite, or if not available, ginger ale whenever they come over. I have no problem with it. I have suggested other less expensive options but they don't like them as well.  Whatever I have guests are allowed to enjoy whatever way they prefer.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 8

I had some good ones lined up... Until I read the the first 5 pages of this thread, then couldn't take any more.

Now I confess.... most of us are full of it.

(And no, I'm not clarifying that statement...ha)

Edited by BrokeCal
  • I like it 1

OK now I feel bad for at least not stating one of my true unpopular opinions. So here it goes...

Bunkering to a point is OK, but sometimes it's pure idiocy.  Some people will bunker something they've never had just because it is rare and hard to find.  Then they let it sit there, for years sometimes.  Life is short friends, I've known way too many people that have passed away far before their time should have been up.  Drink and enjoy today.  Stash lots of extra bottles for sure, but if you have one you've never even tried in your cabinet.... Drink it!

Second, highly related opinion, there are hundreds of bourbons accessible to all of us. For anyone to get worked up over a tiny handful of labels and get crazed to the point of obsession over them is lunacy.  Our love of a spirit is crazy enough as it is!!!! We don't need to add to it by acting like whining children obsessing over a toy when he already has hundreds of toys lying around him.

Edited by BrokeCal
  • I like it 9

On ‎4‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 7:45 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

Hell, I even love Jack & Coke. Maybe its the Tennessean in me and thus a cultural thing, I don't know.

An excellent example of a disclaimer!!! We are who we are & are individuals sharing all sorts of expressions which makes this so. Hell, if everyone was like me, then there would be no need to visit this site.  Even though I should throw rocks at you for liking Jack & Coke, (just kidding) it hardly diminishes my excitability for digging your contributions & expertise...

On 4/13/2019 at 7:45 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

My god, I can't believe that I'm about to confess this, but what the heck: I absolutely LOVE bourbon and Coke cocktails. Hell, I even love Jack & Coke. Maybe its the Tennessean in me and thus a cultural thing, I don't know. Jack & Coke and Bourbon & Coke are what everyone drank when I was growing up in the '70's and '80's in TN and GA. Even today when I smell and taste it, its "liquid comfort food," much like mac-and-cheese, sausage gravy and biscuits, pizza, peanut butter and jelly, etc.

I've made the mistake of admitting this guilty pleasure to my colleagues in the industry, only to be shamed and ridiculed, or mercilessly laughed at. Although I've certainly been guilty of my fair share of snobbery too, I think sometimes things get a little too "precious" when it comes to the way we drink our bourbon, whether done neat, in fancy cocktails, or with the kind of glass ware we prefer, etc. Sometimes its good to just enjoy it the way it suits us in the moment. 

On that note, after a few grueling days of preparing my taxes to get to my accountant, I'm having some much needed liquid comfort food of bourbon and Coke on this beautiful spring evening, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it! ?

Cheers all,
Nancy

IMG_2246.jpg

Love me some Jack and Coke. Must be the Tennessean in me.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.