Seasick Sailor

Confess Your Unpopular Bourbon Opinion

PowderKeg

I'll throw another one out - Makers Mark is not the be all, end all, most beautiful and magically fantasmagorical must-see-or-die bourbon tour stop in the known bourbon-verse.     

That title belongs to C&K...?

Now gimmie an AAAA-MEN!!!!!!

Edited by PowderKeg
  • I like it 1

Obeezy1Kaneezy

TeamNeverLikedKentuckySpiritBottle

Also...David Nicholson 1843 is the best “every day” wheater under $40. 

Also looking for a Beam Signature Craft 12 year now...

Edited by Obeezy1Kaneezy
  • I like it 2

BDanner
On 2/19/2019 at 8:07 PM, Kane said:

I've been going through a red wine phase lately, had all sorts in the past two weeks and not much else. Here's a fresh unpopular opinion: Bourbon is dirt cheap ;)

As I'm currently going through a Single Malt Scotch phase, I'll second that Bourbon is dirt cheap.

dcbt
48 minutes ago, BDanner said:

I'll second that Bourbon is dirt cheap.

Definitely.  I've thought this for years.  There was a cat who prowled around here years ago (forget his handle but he was really active and then dropped off like a brick) who refused to buy any bottle over $50, he was adamant about it and mentioned it every chance he could (which was A LOT), but every time he did I was thinking, "Even a $50 bottle seems pretty reasonable to me, that's what, $3-4 for a typical pour, granted more than beer, but certainly a better deal than wine..."

• I like it 1

kevinbrink
19 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

KENTUCKYSPIRITTURKEYBOTTLE4LIFE

Also looking for a Beam Signature Craft 12 year now...

I had to spell check your post a little but I couldn't agree with your points here more. 

• I like it 2

Carnagusfarnbuckler
43 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

I had to spell check your post a little but I couldn't agree with your points here more. 

I have heart mixed reviews on the David Nicholson 1843, but after reading what you guys say about it I just might have to pick up a bottle and see for myself.

• I like it 2

evasive

This’ll be unpopular: I think Glencairn glasses are overrated. I have some, and don’t enjoy drinking from them. It’s awkward. If I’m drinking neat and want to nose, I’ll use my Bowmore glass or one my Glenmorangie thistle glasses.

• I like it 1

flahute
6 hours ago, dcbt said:

Definitely.  I've thought this for years.  There was a cat who prowled around here years ago (forget his handle but he was really active and then dropped off like a brick) who refused to buy any bottle over $50, he was adamant about it and mentioned it every chance he could (which was A LOT), but every time he did I was thinking, "Even a $50 bottle seems pretty reasonable to me, that's what, $3-4 for a typical pour, granted more than beer, but certainly a better deal than wine..."

I remember that guy. Four eyed fox or something like that.

• I like it 1

Obeezy1Kaneezy
5 hours ago, Carnagusfarnbuckler said:

I have heart mixed reviews on the David Nicholson 1843, but after reading what you guys say about it I just might have to pick up a bottle and see for myself.

Funny thing since I just mentioned it the day prior, but today I was in a ABC store & grabbed a bottle at closeout for $17.99

I’m kind of kicking myself for not buying more of them. 

dcbt
6 hours ago, flahute said:

I remember that guy. Four eyed fox or something like that.

Yes, that was him!

Carnagusfarnbuckler
4 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Funny thing since I just mentioned it the day prior, but today I was in a ABC store & grabbed a bottle at closeout for $17.99

I’m kind of kicking myself for not buying more of them. 

Yeah, it is about 35 bucks here.

Charlutz
11 hours ago, evasive said:

This’ll be unpopular: I think Glencairn glasses are overrated. I have some, and don’t enjoy drinking from them. It’s awkward. If I’m drinking neat and want to nose, I’ll use my Bowmore glass or one my Glenmorangie thistle glasses.

I like my glencairns but I prefer my Canadian whiskey glasses more. Not so much for the nose, but because it feels better in my hand. I hold the Canadian with my hand while the glencairn has to perch in my fingers. I do have to measure my pours in the Canadian though. If I pour straight from the bottle it’s easy to pour 3+ ozs without noticing. That’s a bad thing, right?

87236DF1-75AA-4F4B-9898-B841D09C98B2.jpeg

• I like it 2

marshall9779
I like my glencairns but I prefer my Canadian whiskey glasses more. Not so much for the nose, but because it feels better in my hand. I hold the Canadian with my hand while the glencairn has to perch in my fingers. I do have to measure my pours in the Canadian though. If I pour straight from the bottle it’s easy to pour 3+ ozs without noticing. That’s a bad thing, right?
87236DF1-75AA-4F4B-9898-B841D09C98B2.thumb.jpeg.6f9b3579500fc0eff1922391a3b56a5f.jpeg

That’s my favorite as well. I usually pour just below the center of the bulge. Never measured how much that is but is usually the right amount for me not to go overboard unless it’s a barrel proof or something I’ll do less.

evasive

The Scotch glasses I mentioned are this Bowmore:

IMG_8169.thumb.jpg.f5d8c4f514cd5e367789d744cacb737e.jpg

and the Glenmorangie thistle:

IMG_8188.thumb.jpg.25884396c29c8ea9f933e97e28291097.jpg

Most of the Bowmore bottles I bought in the U.K. in 2000 came with these glasses, but I only have one now. The Glenmorangie glasses I found at a thrift store, $8 for four. The Bowmore is my favorite glass.

fishnbowljoe
7 hours ago, Charlutz said:

87236DF1-75AA-4F4B-9898-B841D09C98B2.jpeg

The glass is okay. I do have to say that I really like the back drop though. ^_^

Biba! Joe

bayouredd

After trying to agree with the masses here, for a couple years now, I still like Bulleit better that BT!!!

I am apt to buying the 10 year over the standard. I do admit that quality is changing, however...

• I like it 1

Supercharger

Not sure how unpopular, and I realize the latest batches are not reflective of the past, but I’ve enjoyed WSR more than OWA lately. 

• I like it 1

flahute

I've responded to a lot of other posts but haven't provided my own as of yet. I finally figured it out.

I prefer a rocks glass to all other glasses. Glencairns, Canadian Glencairs, all other manner of shaped glasses that are supposed to focus the nose of the spirit.

I don't care. I prefer a rocks glass. 

Simple.

Classic.

• I like it 4

Paddy

When I read this tread, I think... wow, this must be how the priest feels when he's doing confessions! :o

• I like it 4

Tuck
6 hours ago, flahute said:

I've responded to a lot of other posts but haven't provided my own as of yet. I finally figured it out.

I prefer a rocks glass to all other glasses. Glencairns, Canadian Glencairs, all other manner of shaped glasses that are supposed to focus the nose of the spirit.

I don't care. I prefer a rocks glass. 

Simple.

Classic.

Same here. 

smokinjoe
6 hours ago, Paddy said:

When I read this tread, I think... wow, this must be how the priest feels when he's doing confessions! :o

Yeah, and some us have a wee bit longer penance due...  :D

• I like it 1

PaulO

Most Old Fashioned/rocks are actually double sized.  I found some single size.  They're similar to some of the gift glasses that came with Four Roses items.  I like those the best.  Also similar to pre-prohibition whiskey glasses.

Edited by PaulO
  • I like it 1

Hansene10

Reading these is therapeutic. Here are a few things I’ve been too embarrassed to say to people:

—Most of my favorite NAS bourbons from 2013 or before are now worse or terrible.  The ones I still have from that timeframe, I treat like dusties.

—I get excited when I find Beam OGDBIB or OGD114 from 2013/2014 or before in a store. I think it’s better. But it makes me feel like a faux-dusty hunter, so I never say it to anyone and I’m too embarrassed to buy them on secondary, even if I’m will to pay a little more. 

ETL has been terrible since 2015. I still have a few from 2012 and 2013 but I won’t even open them to do a SxS w/ the newer bottlings. 

—The standard CEHT line was all better in the first one or two release - they’re just not good now.

—MWND was terrible after 2.whatever. Tastes like sour wine and prunes. 

W12 has gone watery. WSR is terrible without 7493749 ice cubes. 

Thanks. I feel better. 

Jfletchgu
On 2/21/2019 at 12:32 AM, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Shhhh....let’s try to keep that our little secret. 

• I like it 3

Kepler

I get a kick out of all the haters of the classic Kentucky Spirit bottles.  True, that bottle doesn't conform to the ubiquitous rustic whiskey motif that seemingly all other bourbon bottles must - you know, the "reclaimed wood" or old time whiskey bottle from the prohibition era look that screams "I'm a whiskey man and look at my beard"... Lol 

Edited by Kepler