Jump to content
Seasick Sailor

Confess Your Unpopular Bourbon Opinion

Recommended Posts

Vosgar
21 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Same, that gaudy, ugly ass bottle has kept me from trying it, even though I tend to like WT products. It's like if someone who had no taste tried to design a fancy bottle for rich people.

Count me in as a gaudy, ugly ass bottle kind of guy! :D

  • I like it 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FasterHorses
On 2/10/2019 at 11:55 AM, Vosgar said:

A couple of years ago in Bardstown, Bourbonjoe's buddy Larry brought a bottle of this and offered me a drink. Not being a big Beam fan I politely turned him down but he insisted, so I tried it. Damn, it was good, really good. Being the nice guy Larry is, he even gave me what was left of the bottle to take home where I continued to enjoy it. When I stumbled across a bottle last summer I HAD to buy it. Maybe I just need Beam whiskey to be aged longer than most of their products usually are.

Is this good enough to  pick up a case of 6 if u can find it? Thats high praise from AndyD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
Is this good enough to  pick up a case of 6 if u can find it? Thats high praise from AndyD

I think it’s pretty darn good. I don’t know that I’d rush out and buy a case, but my brother in law and I pretty much knocked out the liter bottle that I bought in the Iceland duty free shop on my way to Denmark this summer. It was one of the best deals they had on bourbon in duty free, and in the span of less than three weeks we almost emptied it while also drinking other whiskey and rum and not drinking liquor every day...gotta drink wine and beer too ya know.
  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FasterHorses
10 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:


I think it’s pretty darn good. I don’t know that I’d rush out and buy a case, but my brother in law and I pretty much knocked out the liter bottle that I bought in the Iceland duty free shop on my way to Denmark this summer. It was one of the best deals they had on bourbon in duty free, and in the span of less than three weeks we almost emptied it while also drinking other whiskey and rum and not drinking liquor every day...gotta drink wine and beer too ya know. emoji6.png

Thanks J.. Alright maybe I’ll keep it to 2. You know when Andy says its the perfect bourbon it kind of makes you curious. Would like to try the signature high rye as well if I can locate it. 

 

BTW.. was the Game of Thrones scotch decent? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kevinbrink
12 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Thanks J.. Alright maybe I’ll keep it to 2. You know when Andy says its the perfect bourbon it kind of makes you curious. Would like to try the signature high rye as well if I can locate it. 

 

BTW.. was the Game of Thrones scotch decent? 

The Wine and Cheese place has it and they ship all over

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
Thanks J.. Alright maybe I’ll keep it to 2. You know when Andy says its the perfect bourbon it kind of makes you curious. Would like to try the signature high rye as well if I can locate it. 
 
BTW.. was the Game of Thrones scotch decent? 

I have not opened it yet. I really want to because it’s received a lot of pretty good reviews, but I’ve got so much stuff stacked up in my bunker that I can’t even get to stuff that I know is in there because I don’t feel like digging through boxes and unstacking and re-stacking boxes. So, in other words, I can’t remember exactly where in the bunker (large walk in closet with no room to move after this year’s fall bourbon hunting season) that I put it at this juncture. I’m working on putting in new shelving/cabinets in my bonus room that should hold a lot of bottles, and will resolve most of my storage and access problems, but that’s still a work in progress.
  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
On 2/15/2019 at 4:34 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

...........but my palate needs more fireworks. 

 

Cheers,

Nancy

That's because you spend all day tasting whiskey for your job. By the end of the day it's hard to make your palate notice anything bland!

You do it all in the service of making sure there's great whiskey for us all to drink so we appreciate it. :)

 

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
4 hours ago, T Comp said:

That “SOMETHING HAS CHANGED” is no doubt in my mind the absence of Jim Rutledge. One of my favorite sayings is the one about  “the graveyard is littered with indispensable people”. But it sure seems when it comes to the craft of making great food and drink,  there are some indispensable ones. 

Hmmmmm.........I think you're on to something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
graftonbc1

I have three bottles of Bookers that I bought a year and a half ago. I've tasted each one, but I sincerely have no idea when I am going to get around to drinking them.

 

They look good in the stash, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
afmadd
11 hours ago, lcpfratn said:


I have not opened it yet. I really want to because it’s received a lot of pretty good reviews, but I’ve got so much stuff stacked up in my bunker that I can’t even get to stuff that I know is in there because I don’t feel like digging through boxes and unstacking and re-stacking boxes. So, in other words, I can’t remember exactly where in the bunker (large walk in closet with no room to move after this year’s fall bourbon hunting season) that I put it at this juncture. I’m working on putting in new shelving/cabinets in my bonus room that should hold a lot of bottles, and will resolve most of my storage and access problems, but that’s still a work in progress.

This sounds like a good problem to have.....

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThirstyinOhio
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:11 AM, Kepler said:

 

I fully realize that this thread is a "safe zone" and we're not allowed to critique differing opinions on personal taste, but I have to draw the line somewhere.  Seriously, you may need to get your palate examined.

 

Sometimes the truth hurts and takes a while to accept...someday you'll come around and see the light that MMCS is a better whiskey than WLW....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BDanner
On 2/17/2019 at 2:14 PM, ebo said:

At this point in time, I am no longer a fan of 4R Single Barrel. Something has changed. The last two bottles I've had were just not good. The Yellow Label isn't even worth talking about.... it's that bland.

 

I think OGD BiB is one of the best tasting bourbons out there... much better than a lot of the pricey stuff. Dickel 12 is right up there too.

I'm right there with you on the Dickel 12. I'll take the OGD114 over the OGDBIB, though.

 

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp
1 hour ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

 

Sometimes the truth hurts and takes a while to accept...someday you'll come around and see the light that MMCS is a better whiskey than WLW....

It’s nice to see the Samuels family active on straight bourbon. 

  • I like it 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895
59 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

It’s nice to see the Samuels family active on straight bourbon. 

Lmfao!

Joe for the win. 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
It’s nice to see the Samuels family active on straight bourbon. 

Lmfao!
Joe for the win. 

If you guys knew ThirstyinOhio, you wouldn’t be saying that. I’m not sure if I agree with his thoughts on WLW or not, but I usually give great deference to anything he has to say about bourbon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ebo
2 hours ago, BDanner said:

I'm right there with you on the Dickel 12. I'll take the OGD114 over the OGDBIB, though.

 

I would too, but I can't get the 114 in Ohio.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhiskeyBlender
16 hours ago, flahute said:

That's because you spend all day tasting whiskey for your job. By the end of the day it's hard to make your palate notice anything bland!

You do it all in the service of making sure there's great whiskey for us all to drink so we appreciate it. :)

 

Hehe, that's a good point @flahute. And I've noticed that anything under 100 to 96 proof tastes like oak-flavored water, which probably isn't a good thing, at least where my liver is concerned.?

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp
3 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

 


If you guys knew ThirstyinOhio, you wouldn’t be saying that. I’m not sure if I agree with his thoughts on WLW or not, but I usually give great deference to anything he has to say about bourbon.

 

It was just a little good light hearted fun and certainly no offense was meant by it. Everyone should drink what they like. I like MMCS (and most of the MMPS’s I’ve had), but think it’s way out of WLW’s league. 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AndyD
21 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Thanks J.. Alright maybe I’ll keep it to 2. You know when Andy says its the perfect bourbon it kind of makes you curious. Would like to try the signature high rye as well if I can locate it. 

 

BTW.. was the Game of Thrones scotch decent? 

If you find a case and you don’t want the whole thing , I’ll split it with you.

 

 

A6F9F1DB-A00A-4171-BAD2-83D7ABEF5838.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lcpfratn
It was just a little good light hearted fun and certainly no offense was meant by it. Everyone should drink what they like. I like MMCS (and most of the MMPS’s I’ve had), but think it’s way out of WLW’s league. 

No offense was taken, and I certainly picked up on the humorous intent. I was just trying to say that given his rather large collection and knowledge of all brands of bourbon, I’d never think of implying he had any single bias towards MM, although we all have our favorites. However, I wouldn’t put it past him to make such a statement in this thread just to get a rise out of people.
  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhantomLamb

I find OGDBIB appalling.  Otherwise, I don't know that I have any other confessions other than I wish I had a higher budget for bourbon ? 

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don Birnam
On 2/15/2019 at 10:36 AM, HoustonNit said:

I thought the old bottle design for WTKS was tacky and I prefer the new bottle style.

 

That being said all that really matters is the contents.

The bottle is tacky to the uninformed and iconic to those in the know. The bottle represents a tom displaying his mating fan.

Tacky because it is known as the 'turkey's ass' bottle, the round label area being the.....um....vent.

Best bottle design EVER, nastiness aside.

 

Bless me father for I have sinned....I enjoy Early Times, not the bonded, although it is very good, but the 'regular' ET, three years old, 1 in 5 used barrel version. Call it nostalgia, I grew up on ET back when it was KSBW in the old days of the yellow label, red plank, 86 proof.

Edited by Don Birnam
Confession
  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ThirstyinOhio
On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:06 PM, JoeTerp said:

It’s nice to see the Samuels family active on straight bourbon. 

Well played sir.......

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kane

I've been going through a red wine phase lately, had all sorts in the past two weeks and not much else. Here's a fresh unpopular opinion: Bourbon is dirt cheap ;)

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fosmith
3 hours ago, Kane said:

I've been going through a red wine phase lately, had all sorts in the past two weeks and not much else. Here's a fresh unpopular opinion: Bourbon is dirt cheap ;)

Compared to good red wine it is.  Buy a $80 bottle of Cabernet and you have to drink it in one or two nights.  An $80 bottle of bourbon can last for a month.  Ok, maybe only a week...  :lol:

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...