Favorite high proof bourbon

wanderingbear
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hi fellow bourbon and rye enthusiasts! Happy to join! At the ~140 proof level +/-, I love George T Stagg. So many aromas and flavors and surprisingly drinkable without water or ice. What do you all enjoy?

FYI, I deleted the other thread you started about favorite high proof bourbon. Also, the search function is your friend. Much information can be found here without too much trouble. With regards to that, I also hid two of the other threads you started. They will remain hidden for now. I have to consult other staff members about them.

Joe

• I like it 2

Thanks Joe. New to the community, so learning the ropes. Appreciate your sage advice!

Edited by wanderingbear

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

FYI, I deleted the other thread you started about favorite high proof bourbon. Also, the search function is your friend. Much information can be found here without too much trouble. With regards to that, I also hid two of the other threads you started. They will remain hidden for now. I have to consult other staff members about them.

Joe

Wow

Favorite high proof bourbon: GTS

High proof bourbon I drink the most: ECBP or 1792 FP

Most overrated high proof bourbon: Stagg Jr.

Yeah, ecbp is a great one for wider availability! I like the 1792 fp but not as much as ecbp. 

• I like it 1

GTS is my favorite bourbon of all time (specifically 2011 and 2007 releases) and I find that most ECBP releases are fantastic

• I like it 2

GTS “The King of All Whiskies” is my favorite.  And, like ThirstyinAhiya above, ECBPs are right up there.  

• I like it 3

Admittedly I haven't tried as many high proofers as I would have liked to, but I've been making an effort in 2019 to get some high proofs under my belt. Oddly enough so far I am really enjoying OGD114, the fact that it isn't sold in Ohio makes acquiring bottles difficult though.

56 minutes ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

GTS is my favorite bourbon of all time (specifically 2011 and 2007 releases) and I find that most ECBP releases are fantastic

I'm new here and could not find an option to private message... but I noticed you're location says Northeast Ohio, it sounds you may be located around me! Great to see fellow Ohioans that appreciate bourbon! 

4 minutes ago, pouringwhiskey said:

I'm new here and could not find an option to private message... but I noticed you're location says Northeast Ohio, it sounds you may be located around me! Great to see fellow Ohioans that appreciate bourbon! 

I am in North Canton, Ohio. 

Edited by ThirstyinOhio

Booker's was my first high proof bourbon and what an epiphany that was.  So it will always have a place on my shelf and in my heart. 

• I like it 3

I’m gonna go a little outside the box here. I know this may be a private selection, but the SB HHSS’s we did a few years back just strike a very harmonious chord with me. Aside from those, I’d have to choose WLW, followed by StaggJr.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Overall... Stagg. 

Honorable mentions... WTRB and KCSB (and both are nearly untouchable based on availability and QPR). 

• I like it 3

WLW and GTS are almost always awesome, although obviously hard to find for many people. Certain years of each have been epic. 2006 WLW comes to mind, and certain years of GTS I have soft spots for like 09, 12, 14.

Out of more standard releases, I do enjoy ECBP, the WFE ryes 4+ Are on point, and many Four Roses private barrel picks are obviously amazing. 

In the best barrel proofers of all time category personally I include PHC1, Booker’s Rye, Four Roses LE SmB 2012, certain WFE bourbon barrels, and some of those specific WLW/GTS year’s. If I could only have one barrel proof bottle, it would be another bottle of the PHC1, since it is the bottle that crossed me over from drinking daily BIBs to going down the higher end rabbit hole. 

I agree on WLW and GTS but there are obviously variances.  I have a 16 WLW that is really hot but the 17 is within 7 proof points and not hot at all.  2017 WLW has been my favorite high proof bottle ever so far I think.  Same with GTS.  2016 GTS at 144.1 was hot but full of flavor.  This year's GTS is good but very un-GTS-like.  I've enjoyed many Booker's.  ECBP is always a favorite.  Batch 12 is a standout for me.  OGD114 is rough around the edges on its own but works awesome in GW4G.  Stagg Jr. seems to continuously get better.  I did a SBS with a batch 9 (I think) against 16 GTS and they were pretty close in quality to my taste buds.  OF1920 is great when I want somthing different from the regular bourbon notes in a high proof.

• I like it 1

William Larue

But, for an easier bottle to pick up...  Elijah Craig BP.  Also a big fan of CEHTBP, but let’s face it.  It’s unicorn status now.  Also, allllll the many wonderful Four Roses Single barrels out there at cask strength. 

Edited by Obeezy1Kaneezy
  • I like it 1

Great to hear everyone's energy on this topic. I havent had the luck of finding WLW yet, but hope to have one day! Cheers to you all!

On 2/11/2019 at 11:28 AM, smokinjoe said:

GTS “The King of All Whiskies” is my favorite.  And, like ThirstyinAhiya above, ECBPs are right up there.  

This.

End of discussion.

And why we are brothers.

I am gonna go with EHT BP. All the others listed on here are fantastic, but the Colonel holds a higher place in my stash. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.