Wild Turkey Decanters

lcpfratn
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I bought a collection of 14 WT porcelain decanters from the 1970s and early 80s today. Most are empty, but four or five are still full (relatively) of the original WT bourbon. Many in the collection are duplicates, but the seller gave me what I thought was a fair deal to just take them all so I did. I’ll post some pics as I unpack them.

The seller was handling the sale of the collection and other household stuff as a favor for a lady whose father had died. While trying to take pictures of one of the full decanters, the seller accidentally pushed a broken cork inside of the decanter, so he salvaged the bourbon in a glass jar. The bourbon in the jar was part of the deal too, and I must say, it is some very dark bourbon. If it’s any good, I’ll bring this with me to the GN gazebo in April.

• I like it 3

13 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I bought a collection of 14 WT porcelain decanters from the 1970s and early 80s today. Most are empty, but four or five are still full (relatively) of the original WT bourbon. Many in the collection are duplicates, but the seller gave me what I thought was a fair deal to just take them all so I did. I’ll post some pics as I unpack them.

The seller was handling the sale of the collection and other household stuff as a favor for a lady whose father had died. While trying to take pictures of one of the full decanters, the seller accidentally pushed a broken cork inside of the decanter, so he salvaged the bourbon in a glass jar. The bourbon in the jar was part of the deal too, and I must say, it is some very dark bourbon. If it’s any good, I’ll bring this with me to the GN gazebo in April.

Looking forward to pictures, I have a few myself but unfortunately none full, enjoy those!

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Looking forward to pictures

Me too.

I’ve picked up a number of old decanters over the years, but to be honest I can’t actually remember if any were WT:unsure: 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

OK, Here we go. As you can see, I have duplicates of most of them. I accidentally bumped the one that is missing it’s head when I was packing them where I bought them, and the head hit the ground and shattered...bummer.

The mason jar contains WT 101 bourbon from one of the decanters from the 70s (the high gloss ones).

IMG_0042.jpgIMG_0049.jpgIMG_0055.jpg

• I like it 2

A few more pics. The decanter that the mason jar is closest to is supposedly the one that the bourbon came from.
IMG_0053.jpgIMG_0058.jpgIMG_0041.jpg

• I like it 5

Very nice I have that Wild Turkey Lore one, that is in fact some DARK Bourbon. 

Well, there are three with the Wild Turkey Lore note on them...so which one do you have? Yes, that bourbon is dark. I haven’t tried it yet, but was planning on having a small pour this evening to see how it is.

1 minute ago, lcpfratn said:

Well, there are three with the Wild Turkey Lore note on them...so which one do you have? Yes, that bourbon is dark. I haven’t tried it yet, but was planning on having a small pour this evening to see how it is.

Missed that, the one with the wing's spread. 

Love the one with the Turkey facing off with the wolf. What a great find!

Eager to hear your report on the bourbon.

• 1 month later...
On 2/14/2019 at 1:28 PM, lcpfratn said:

I recently had some 8/101 from a 1972 decanter and it was some of the best bourbon that I've ever had. It was dark like that.

• I like it 1

I bought a decanter of 8yr 101 (pic below) from a store, and it was mostly full (decanter was from 1984).  Very dark, like your mason jar pick.  Some of the best Turkey I've had!  I measured it out, and it had very little evaporation loss ((was 98% full by my measurement of 750 mL).  I'll admit that I was nervous about the lead paint possibly leeching in, but ultimately said @#$% it and just didn't drink it all at once ;)  I nursed that sumbitch from Sept 2014 when I bought it until fairly recently.  And it was delicious!  Hope that those that were mostly full are just as delicious!  

IMG_1336.thumb.JPG.d963d07b2a22fe751bf2268c8d0854be.JPG

• I like it 2

I’ll be bringing the bottle (no longer in a mason jar) from my decanter to the GN later this month for everyone that wants to try it. Several more of the decanters are still full, so I’ve got plenty to share. I agree that I wouldn’t drink this on a regular basis just to be on the safe side, but occasional pours spread out over several years should be fine in my opinion.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.