Biggest miss

FasterHorses
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I was thinking about this as I left 3 gems  sitting on the shelf today out of deference to my budget. I hope they'll be there when I'm not thinking so clearly in a week or two but odds are, they'll be gone. What are your biggest regrets that you didn't grab when you had the chance?

One that comes to mind was 6 RHF I left on the shelf and figured I'd come back the next week. I came back and there was no sign of em. Found out later the owner had no idea what they were and wouldn't be making that mistake again.  That was painful. 

Edited by FasterHorses

GTS last fall. But I only half regret it, as I have other priorities and demands at the moment. Hopefully I’ll snag one this fall without guilt.

• I like it 1

In 2012 I was definitely deep into the whiskey hobby/habit and was on a trip out of state for a wedding. Went into a random liquor store and the place had the best selection including all the unicorn stuff that I’ve ever seen, before or after. There was a bunch of stuff I would have wanted, but at the time we weren’t full boom time yet and I could still find rare stuff regularly with some effort, and I didn’t want to deal with how to fly home with a bunch of stuff at the time. Oh how I wish I had those 21/23/25 Ritts, the Hirsch, Vintage, various VWs, age stated BMHs...... 

• I like it 3

Booker's 25th. Casually walked into a store downtown Boston to buy a six pack, saw it sitting on the shelf with a $90-something price tag, rolled my eyes and made a snobby comment to my gf that I ain't buying into that shit just because they put the good old Booker's into a shiny package. Yeah... then I Google'd it back at home.

• I like it 1

My financial situation changed drastically around the end of 2013 before then I left tons of stuff on the shelf because I couldn't afford it, anything I really regret would be after that, I left an Old Malt Cask 18 year old 1986 Bowmore on the shelf for $89 a couple years ago, would have liked that one. Could have bought a couple of the early Boss Hogs for $100 on clearance from a place around the block from my apartment those could have been good. 

• I like it 2

I remember passing on ORVW because I didn't think any bourbon was worth $70.

Another liquor/cigar store was going out of business and had Booker's for $35. I only bought one.

• I like it 1

I have a picture by my bar from binnys where I stopped in to get some bourbon - I was torn between a squat ORVW, Jefferson 18 and Lot B...there are 5+ of each...I ended up buying the Jefferson because I hadn’t had it. Never saw a squat ORVW again

• I like it 1

I was really getting into bourbon in 2013 and bought a lot of bottles, but I left a lot on the shelf too. A couple ER17's at $70 or whatever, because I had already bought one, that sort of thing.  More than I care to think about.

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, grantsi said:

I have a picture by my bar from binnys where I stopped in to get some bourbon - I was torn between a squat ORVW, Jefferson 18 and Lot B...there are 5+ of each...I ended up buying the Jefferson because I hadn’t had it. Never saw a squat ORVW again

Getting Jefferson's 18 is not a miss...

:P

Getting Jefferson's 18 is not a miss...
[emoji14]

Absolutely agree - leaving the other bottles on the shelf and never having a chance to drink that bottle again was the miss
  • I like it 1

Back in the early aughts, I passed on squat bottles of ORVW and OWA sitting on the bottom shelf because I was into Scotch at the time...

5 hours ago, NDN98 said:

My biggest miss was passing on Booker's Rye at MSRP because it seemed crazy expensive at MSRP of $299.

I did the same.  Passing on buying one online from the state (I was going back and forth the night before and settled on that if I was thinking that much about it I should just pass).  I also found it at retail a few months later at a store outside the state and passed then too.  I wish I would have picked up a bottle now as it's something that I would love to try.  Oh well.

• I like it 1

I left a FRSB LE at retail on the shelf as well as an EC23 when I was just getting into bourbon. I knew what both were, just didn't buy them.

The other one I regret was leaving a few Smooth Ambler single barrels on the shelf. No real excuse other than I thought they would continue to be available. 

Passing on something because it was too expensive at the time doesn't make it a mistake now that said bottle is even more expensive, unless you planned on selling it on.. 

My personal regret is that for about 20 years my father has flown to the US and back on business and in the early days I would say to bring something back and he'd pick up some Kentucky Gentleman or something as we didn't know any better. Knowing what we know now I wonder what I could have had instead from back then...

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, NDN98 said:

My biggest miss was passing on Booker's Rye at MSRP because it seemed crazy expensive at MSRP of $299.

Same. I was just getting into more than my standard EC 12 and Dickel 12 and $300 seemed crazy. 

• I like it 1

Back maybe ten years ago, went into one of Indy's better stores.  They had bought a barrel of OWA.  They even knocked a few bucks off the regular retail price.  There were cases and 1.75L bottles too.  I grabbed three 750mls.  I should've filled the bed of my pickup truck.  I never saw another deal like that again.

Also passed plenty of well aged high proof WFE bottles @ $35 - $45.  I didn't know anything about it.

Leaving so many Willetts behind at the gift shop back in 2011 and 2012.  I use to only buy one of each release when I should have been buying the full limit every time. 

My biggest miss was one I bought, PHC 2018, aged in orange curacao barrels.

It tastes like Banker's Club and orange Fanta.

• I like it 4

13 minutes ago, graftonbc1 said:

Thats awesome

• I like it 1

24 minutes ago, graftonbc1 said:

I'm still optimistic I will like this one despite all the bad things I've heard, 1. I'm weird 2. I liked Willett XCF when I tasted it, so before the reviews started to pile up I sprung for a couple of these.

• I like it 2

Turning on the way back machine it's everything I left on shelves pre things going crazy but I didn't really have the budget to buy cases of stuff.  Is it really a miss if I couldn't have bought it or wasn't even aware of it?  I don't think so.

Instead, I'll say I regret not buying an extra bottle or two of a few store picks I really liked.  Those are gone for good and were actually something I might have bought more of in the moment.

I read through all these responses and my mind jumps from regret to regret because there are so many familiar accounts that jog my memory to a bottle I left sitting on a shelf. However, some of my regrets are only regrets in hindsight because at the time I lacked the knowledge and awareness to really know better, so I honestly can't count those I guess (still friggin hurt though!). There are plenty that I can count though...

I'd have to say the one I regret the most is a few bottles of Old Forester Bottled in Bond that I left on the shelf back when OF Sig was taking place of the BiB. Stings ever single time I think about it!

I think about the bottle of Michter's I bought at the distillery in PA in about 1986 or so when I wasn't quite 21 yet.  Bought it and proceeded to drink it. Remember absolutely nothing about the taste of it.  Not a miss or regret other than I wonder what that bottle would be worth today! (not that I am into flipping either)

I'm still looking for my brochure and pictures from the distillery tour I went on.

I dont really have any miss on anything yet. Reading everyone's responses makes me curious on 20 years from now what I may feel like I should've purchased/bunkered in 2018-19. 

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.