Any other Woodford double oaked fans?

cfochs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a bottle of Woodford double oaked recently and I'm really enjoying it.  Just curious if there are any other fans out there and if you've found anything similar to it.

• I like it 1

47 minutes ago, cfochs said:

Picked up a bottle of Woodford double oaked recently and I'm really enjoying it.  Just curious if there are any other fans out there and if you've found anything similar to it.

There are some fans here. Most of us find it to be good but situationally dependent. It's unique. I'm not always in the mood for it but when I am it really hits the spot. If I'm not in the mood, I hate it.

I enjoy it, and am actually sipping some right now. I keep a couple of bottles on hand typically. I do agree with Steve to an extent; depends on what you have a hankering for on any given day.

Pat

I dont find it to be bad, but it has an artificial butterscotch taste to me most of the time. But as most here say, to each their own and enjoy what makes you happy! 

• I like it 1

37 minutes ago, NDN98 said:

While I don't keep it on hand most of the time, I will say that I enjoy it much more than the standard Woodford.

I do agree with this.  Not a fan of regular Woodford, but enjoy the uniqueness of DO

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I dont find it to be bad, but it has an artificial butterscotch taste to me most of the time. But as most here say, to each their own and enjoy what makes you happy! 

I couldn’t agree more... I had this in a streaming tasting event with Chris Morris and all I could think was Butterscotch BOMB

I like this one, generally speaking.  I agree with previous comments that it is a bourbon that is very appealing at times, not so much at others.  It's distinctive, for sure.

The most enjoyable glass of this I ever had was at a restaurant.  I ordered a pour of this to drink before dinner (preferring wine with the meal).  The bar service was a litte slow, and the kitchen was a little fast, so I ended up with a half glass of this left when my meal arrived -- a char-grilled ribeye.  Let me tell you, the wood taste in this bourbon made a great pairing with the char taste in the meat -- fantastic!  I've never enjoyed another glass of the WRDO as much as that one, but I regularly keep a bottle of it in my cabinet.

I generally don't really care much for Brown Forman bourbons but I have a store pick Double Oaked that is pretty outstanding.

BC3C76FB-5A0A-46C5-BB19-2D171421549F.thumb.jpeg.464a60ca82c0d5c2a0f69391d1696af1.jpegThe off the shelf DO is good, but when you find a good store pick they are usually very good.

I've helped a local LS do 3 different barrel picks and they have all been very good. Try to find a store pick and try it also.     

Having a glass now. 

Edited by LCWoody
  • I like it 1

It’s been a couple years but I did not care for it at all. Gave it away after a few pours. In contrast I like regular Woodford just fine. 

I am not a fan of regular Woodford but really like the DO. I do agree that it is a situational experience. 

It’s been a couple years but I did not care for it at all. Gave it away after a few pours. In contrast I like regular Woodford just fine. 

I’ve had a few pours of regular WDO, and they didn’t impress me much, but I have multiple bottles of a few different private selections of Double Oaked that are fantastic. I’ll try to remember to bring you some samples the next time I see you.
  • I like it 1

A few years ago I tried the DO and did not enjoy it. But my local picked a barrel this year, so I picked one up to suoport their barrel pick program and give it another try, and this barrel in particular is fantastic. Completely unique compared to any other flavor profile I’ve encountered in bourbon, with deep and rich earthy flavors, barrel char, mature oak (of course), all complimenting some honey and nougat undertones. I don’t smoke cigars, but something about it reminds me of them, and I have to imagine it would really compliment a good cigar. 

I may have to try the regular again to see whether this barrel really is just that much better, or my palate has matured significantly since last time. It’s probably a combination of both.

Anither thing I like about it is I’ve been getting really into my infinity bottle and trying some blending experiments, so having something on hand to add an oak flavor specifically comes in handy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.