Checking in on the boom

flahute
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Makers - up 9.1%

Bulleit - up 9.8%

Woodford - up 21.3%

Knob Creek - up 8.3%

Basil Hayden's - up 39.5% !!!!!

Four Roses - up 19%

Elijah Craig - up 22.7%

Looks like the boom still has good legs. 

http://www.shankennewsdaily.com/index.php/2019/02/19/22473/upscale-brands-drive-growth-for-american-whiskey/

• I like it 2

Interesting read, but they need to redefine what constitutes a "Super Premium" whiskey. $25?  Really? These days that falls into the everyday drinker category. 

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, mosugoji64 said:

No surprises for anyone here, aside from those crazy BH numbers! Thanks for sharing, Steve!

I'm not shocked by those, every time someone in the enthusiast community rags on the latest Basil Hayden release I mention that to many many drinkers there is great love and enthusiasm for BH. For every enthusiast that complained about the 10 year old BH there is a casual drinker who thinks it was fantastic. 

• I like it 2

I’d chalk the BH numbers up to curiosity over the new releases. Didn’t they put out 3-4 last year? If you are a BH drinker or a ‘collector’ you buy one of each new label. They probably are up overall even if they aren’t loved here. I’d pay more attention to repeat purchases if were trying to assess popularity. Same for e.g., Big Level. 

3 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I’d chalk the BH numbers up to curiosity over the new releases. Didn’t they put out 3-4 last year? If you are a BH drinker or a ‘collector’ you buy one of each new label. They probably are up overall even if they aren’t loved here. I’d pay more attention to repeat purchases if were trying to assess popularity. Same for e.g., Big Level. 

Yep probably correct though with their LE's they aren't looking for re-buys really, it is interesting though that for some brands they pull out brand extensions according to the notations (Woodford/Makers) so I would assume for the rest they are including all of the iterations. 

11 hours ago, Tuck said:

I'll stick to my WT101 and other WT offerings. 

Pass the Rare Breed my man. 

• I like it 1

Basil Hayden may not resonate well with those in the enthusiast community who have had the time and opportunity to get deep into bourbonia, but I think it is a great whiskey for those who are moving up in their bourbon journey.  For me, I still find it an enjoyable and very well done bourbon.

• I like it 4

8 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Basil Hayden may not resonate well with those in the enthusiast community who have had the time and opportunity to get deep into bourbonia, but I think it is a great whiskey for those who are moving up in their bourbon journey.  For me, I still find it an enjoyable and very well done bourbon.

Throw in the fact that the low proof makes BH much more approachable to those relatively new to bourbon, or new to drinking bourbon neat or with just a little water or ice.

For anyone questioning the concept of a bunker, this is it.  I will certainly enjoy mine as purchases drop to only occasional pick ups, in fact that became my M.O. in early 2018. Enjoying bourbon zen as I sip from the sidelines these next several years.

• I like it 2

22 hours ago, DeanSheen said:

Still dreaming of the day those numbers go negative.

You hush! And, quit hurtin’ that boy in the picture!  

23 hours ago, DeanSheen said:

Still dreaming of the day those numbers go negative.

Dream about winning the powerball lottery. That’s certainly more achievable than seeing bourbon prices falling.

32 minutes ago, DCFan said:

Dream about winning the powerball lottery. That’s certainly more achievable than seeing bourbon prices falling.

We’re pinning our hopes on getting the call from Publisher’s Clearing House. :unsure:

Biba! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.