Col. E.H. Taylor "Amaranth Grain of the Gods"

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Think they meant 19th lol

I’m not one to criticize on typos, above meant “in” instead of “I’m”, than again I’m submitting labels to the TTB.
  • I like it 2

So the Taylor line is where BT offloads their experiments now because they know they can charge $100 and people will wait in line for it. 

• I like it 9

3 hours ago, Radioyada said:

Hells to the yeah!  Another CEHT limited to chase.  This one should be interesting.

If it were priced under $40, I'd MAYBE be interested in trying it for the sake of a unique experience.    I'm not anticipating this being priced anywhere near that forty buck limit, however. 

I think I'll stand on the sidelines for this one.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, flahute said:

So the Taylor line is where BT offloads their experiments now because they know they can charge $100 and people will wait in line for it. 

Don't worry there are two releases of BTEC this year aged in casks made from wood that was left out in the sun so long it lost all of it's flavor, at least thats what the press release sounded like.

Edited by kevinbrink
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

Don't worry there are two releases of BTEC this year aged in casks made from wood that was left out in the sun so long it lost all of it's flavor, at least thats what the press release sounded like.

hahahaha! Excellent summary.

• I like it 1

I can’t even be excited enough to click the link to see what this is. 

Wow, and I thought it was just me.

Article says it will be priced at $79.99. Riiiiight. At least one store around here probably already has a spot for it at $399.99.

15 minutes ago, Clueby said:

Article says it will be priced at $79.99. Riiiiight. At least one store around here probably already has a spot for it at $399.99.

If I found it close to retail I might splurge. Most of this line has been decent. Although I would guess it is getting younger with every release. Certainly paid more than that in the past for BT's "experiments" with the various BTEC bottles going for about $50 for a 375ml in the past.

48 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

If I found it close to retail I might splurge. Most of this line has been decent. Although I would guess it is getting younger with every release. Certainly paid more than that in the past for BT's "experiments" with the various BTEC bottles going for about $50 for a 375ml in the past.

I'd probably splurge at retail too but I know I'll never get a sniff att it for less than twice retail+.

Edited by Clueby

9 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I can’t even be excited enough to click the link to see what this is. 

That most of us on this site are in or close to zen.  We will still chase the absurd, but not the ridiculous.  We still have our standards.  :lol:

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 4

Amaranth is not a grain.  It's the seed of a plant not closely related to grain.  

BT experiments = experiments to see how much people will pay.

• I like it 3

12 minutes ago, PaulO said:

Amaranth is not a grain.  It's the seed of a plant not closely related to grain.  

BT experiments = experiments to see how much people will pay.

A friend of mine who is a farmer says it's a weed. So......strange choice for a bourbon!

Yes, Pig Weed is a type of Amaranth.

I wonder if having a "pseudo cereal" in the mash bill invalidates it from being legitimate bourbon?

On 2/22/2019 at 10:33 AM, flahute said:

I’m done with experimental ginmicks too

• I like it 1

On 2/22/2019 at 11:33 AM, flahute said:

BT has at least three active lines for their experiments as far as I can see - CEHT special releases, BTEC, and now Old Charter Oak. I suppose the last of those is limited in what is being experimented with. Sazerac also has the Abraham Bowman special releases to play with.

I'm all for the experimentation and I don't suppose there is much they can do to stop the tatery nature of these releases, as it seems experimentation is going to be naturally limited in production, but also agree that putting these under "regular" brands like CEHT and Old Charter is a little incoherent. Why are they not all BTEC? Is this edition in anyway related to Colonel EH Taylor or anything he did at the distillery?

My last thought is that it is a shame they can't play with mash bill #2 as much as their other lines.

The label suggests that Sazerac thinks it can be sold as a bourbon despite the fact that it is a pseudocereal like buckwheat or quinoa rather than a true cereal. Given how “thorough” the TTB is with label approval it might well get approved if it hasn’t already.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.