Col. E.H. Taylor "Amaranth Grain of the Gods"

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

18 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The label suggests that Sazerac thinks it can be sold as a bourbon despite the fact that it is a pseudocereal like buckwheat or quinoa rather than a true cereal. Given how “thorough” the TTB is with label approval it might well get approved if it hasn’t already.

It's already approved, I don't think any of this was covered in the revisions offered up at the end of last year either but it seems like no one is stopping any of these labels from being approved, hell several sorghum whiskies have been approved and most of those are distilled from what are basically sorghum syrups. 

image.png.17bbfd7071ced9a96f55714aa73f606d.png

11 minutes ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

I'll be chasing this one...I am a sucker for EH Taylor releases.

Let us all know what it's like, as soon as you have formed an opinion; not to mention, let us in on the price, TiO.

• I like it 1

I'll be chasing this one...I am a sucker for EH Taylor releases.

Oh goody! Do I see a shared bottle at the gazebo in our future? [emoji16]

16 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Oh goody! Do I see a shared bottle at the gazebo in our future? emoji16.png

If it is out by then and I can get my hands on it, I'll bring it

• I like it 2

• 5 months later...

So, has anybody seen or tried this? Supposedly pretty limited and do it looks like my store won’t even get any. If we did I could get it at about retail and would give it a try.

Guess the clue was in the name.

It's the grain of the gods, not the grain of the people.

• I like it 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/7/2019 at 8:59 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

So, has anybody seen or tried this? Supposedly pretty limited and do it looks like my store won’t even get any. If we did I could get it at about retail and would give it a try.

Yep, had it at a bar. It was better than I wanted it to be but not too upset I don't have one at home. I was glad to try it at a reasonable price $11 per oz

On 8/7/2019 at 7:59 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

I tried this today.

Nose is that familiar Buffalo trace, slight mustiness and some fruit.

Aromas are well hidden and you have to search a bit to find them in the glass.

I wonder if a Norlan glass would help find them?

There's a hint of Eagle Rare coming through from somewhere, but without the oak influence.

Also, almost a strawberry candy smell if you use your imagination.  Like Strawberry laffy taffy or strawberry ice cream, but it's very subtle... just enough to make me keep smelling it to make sure I'm not dreaming.

It honestly tastes a lot like Buffalo trace or ER10, but without the oaky influence and more of a strawberry taste vs. the cherry I usually associate with ER10.

Blind you could have told me this was a BTEC all day long and I wouldn't doubt it for a minute.  I guess it kind of actually is a BTEC.

Some slight spearmint on the mid palate changes it up a bit, but I wouldn't call it a complex whiskey by any means.

Finish is medium length and familiar.

It's very good, but it tastes like a step sibling of  BT/ER.

One of the parents is the same for sure.

I don't think there's anything super special or uniquely satisfying that I couldn't get elsewhere in some of their other products.

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

I tried this today.

I don't think there's anything super special or uniquely satisfying that I couldn't get elsewhere in some of their other products.

Thanx for that thoughtful review, 0895.   Your description gives me another reason to not shell out the bux for this likely 'moderately-good-slightly-different-but-nothing-special' Bourbon.   ?

That's about how I expected it would shake out, and didn't really have it on my radar to seek out.    Now, I'll demure, even if offered one for sale.   

Thanx for taking one for the team, Buddy!  ?

• I like it 2

I'm so weak!  Bought in the interest of science (honest!):

20191029_102840.jpg

Will be sharing this with the guys and gals at Pappy's Place on Whiskey Wednesday some day soon.    ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 7

On 11/3/2019 at 12:29 AM, 0895 said:

I tried this today.

Nose is that familiar Buffalo trace, slight mustiness and some fruit.

Aromas are well hidden and you have to search a bit to find them in the glass.

I wonder if a Norlan glass would help find them?

There's a hint of Eagle Rare coming through from somewhere, but without the oak influence.

Also, almost a strawberry candy smell if you use your imagination.  Like Strawberry laffy taffy or strawberry ice cream, but it's very subtle... just enough to make me keep smelling it to make sure I'm not dreaming.

It honestly tastes a lot like Buffalo trace or ER10, but without the oaky influence and more of a strawberry taste vs. the cherry I usually associate with ER10.

Blind you could have told me this was a BTEC all day long and I wouldn't doubt it for a minute.  I guess it kind of actually is a BTEC.

Some slight spearmint on the mid palate changes it up a bit, but I wouldn't call it a complex whiskey by any means.

Finish is medium length and familiar.

It's very good, but it tastes like a step sibling of  BT/ER.

One of the parents is the same for sure.

I thought it also had a slight nuttiness (not peanuts...almonds?) that I don't usually get in BT products.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.