Unintended Aversion Therapy

Prof_Stack
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

A month ago, I went to a friend's house in Scottsdale, AZ for a family party.  He had a fancy bar setup and an unopened bottle of Booker's, 6+ year age statement.  It was glorious.

BUT, he kept filling my shot glass and I kept drinking, and drinking.  I went way over the edge and needed help to walk.  They gave me water and soon I was heaving, and on the ride home, too.  I haven't ever been that drunk, and at age 60+, this was not pleasant.

After a night of sleep I had no headache.  And no desire to drink alcohol.

Since that night, I've had more days of no drinking and never more than one drink.  Whiskey doesn't taste good, beer is okay, and wine is nice with a meal.

Seriously, I turned a major corner in my life, lost weight, and am healthier.  I'm giving away the rest of my mini-bunker.

Unintended it was, and grateful I am.  Be careful, my friends.

• I like it 6

Thirty  + years later and I still don't like the taste or smell of tequila after an "unfortunate incident" at my college graduation party.

As Ringo sang,  "No, no, no, no.  I don't do that no more.  I'm tired of waking up an the floor."  My turning experience was at the front end of my indulgence - it was years before I could drink brown spirits undisguised by mixers.  Fortunately for me when I was able to drink it again without getting sick on the first sip, I NEVER forgot how I felt that Canadian Club night - a once in a lifetime experience.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

Thirty  + years later and I still don't like the taste or smell of tequila after an "unfortunate incident" at my college graduation party.

It’s 12 years for me and with rum. I can relate completely. 

Anything that has a strong taste - one that remains the next day - can have that effect, I find. 

Southern Comfort.   Back when it was 100-proof, and nearly saturated with sugars (1970?).    An entire bottle.   In a single afternoon/evening between just two of us.    You can guess the rest.

• I like it 1

Gin and tonic nearly 40 years ago. Lost count at 13 drinks. Only real hangover in my life. Still remember it well, sadly.

Around 81/82, my ignorant ass drank a bottle of ER, with a cheap strawberry daiquiri mixer.  

I spent the next five years shielding  my eyes from anything red in a bottle, as I would physically become ill, upon sight alone!:blink:

To make matters worse, I was working PT in a grocery store full of the stuff!  

I think it it took me about 2 months to regain the weight I lost....

Good times!:ph34r:

Edited by Paddy

Southern Comfort.   Back when it was 100-proof, and nearly saturated with sugars (1970?).    An entire bottle.   In a single afternoon/evening between just two of us.    You can guess the rest.

Yuck! [emoji1785][emoji2961][emoji3061]
  • I like it 1

I spent over 4 years of my youth in the Marine Corps and spent most of that time overseas where there wasn’t much else to do sometimes with free time but drink. I’m surprised I like to drink anything at this point, and didn’t drink much other than beer for many years after, but that was a long time ago.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

That might have been me you split that bottle with...  I had that same experience, drinking shots with 7 Up chasers.  That was late High School years for me...  Still can imagine drinking that cough syrup again.  Or smelling it.  Or hardly seeing it on a shelf. 

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 10:56 AM, Prof_Stack said:

Seriously, I turned a major corner in my life, lost weight, and am healthier.  I'm giving away the rest of my mini-bunker.

Unintended it was, and grateful I am.  Be careful, my friends.

OK, most of us have been there.  The urge not to do that again is probably in our genes back from the caveman days.  Eat something, get sick, don't eat it again.  Nature protecting us.

I would save some of the bunker.  You may not want it now.   But years from now you may get the urge and be happy you saved a prized bottle.  If kept cool and in the dark and unopened it should be good.

Responsible drinking has to be part of our plan.

23 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

Hmmmm....Lemme guess....  :D

27F9BB7E-6852-4FFF-B5C4-75CC4562C2DB.jpeg

• I like it 6

OP here:  I had a neat shot of The Macallan 12 year tonight, spread over 90 minutes.   The aroma was nice and the first sips were pleasant.  After that, it was just alcohol to my mind.  

I am curious how that might have gone down if I had their 18 year version here.  Maybe not...

On 2/23/2019 at 9:18 AM, Richnimrod said:

I have an aversion to SC and I didn't even drink that much of it.  Date with a girl I just met to a Rush concert.  Tailgating in the parking lot and i wasn't really paying attention to how much she drank.  Got in, sat down, and she promptly puked all over the guy in front of her as they struck the first chord of Red Barchetta.  I spent the rest of the concert checking on her in the medical station...passed out the entire time.  Needless to say, getting her home was fun......

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:47 PM, Clueby said:

My dislike of Tequila results from a similar experience...

Edited by ThirstyinOhio
  • I like it 1

I'll say too much of anything is bad.

Drinks with a lot of sugar are the worst, and I won't touch them.  The sweetness makes inexperienced people over consume.  The sugar causes dehydration, leads to epic hangovers.

I've found that with straight whiskey, or beer, I'm fine.

The only mixed drink I would want would be something along the lines of a classic Martini or Old Fashioned.  You know those are strong, so they get the respect they deserve.

• I like it 1

In a slightly different vein, last night I was pouring a sample out for someone, as most probably have seen me post I haven't had a drink since November, I've been feeling good lately and decided to have a very small pour. It was like having my first sip of whiskey, completely unenjoyable, hoping it was something I ate or a weird thing from the meds.  Otherwise it looks like I might be starting my adventure back at ground zero which would be an interesting adventure in a way. For context the first pour was an pour of 90's WT101 old no 8 brand and I followed it up with a pour of OGD 86 to see if it was something with the bottle. 

• I like it 1

• 3 months later...

OP here with an update.

Yesterday I had a shot of Booker's for the first time since the ill-fated night in Scottsdale. What I came away with was that Booker's is indeed a magnificent bourbon, but I still do not like the taste of it. Too many memories from going way over the edge at that party.  So,

My wife bought me a birthday gift of a Lagavulin 16 year scotch. I wanted to become acquainted with the taste of peat. The aroma is overwhelming, but it took me only three sips to realize I love the stuff. Apparently, 16 years is enough to mellow out the peat bomb that the 8-year version of the scotch has.

• I like it 1

Lol at this thread.

Id be lying if I said that I’ve never puked so hard that I saw stars and passed out.

• I like it 1

Jack Daniels and skyy vodka

I recently picked up a 375 of classic JD for comparison purposes. Didn’t really bring back memories of “the incident”, but it did not smell appealing... very astringent no sugars/oak whatsoever just pure ethanol.  Fast forward 6months and that same bottle has decent to good smells. The alcohol smell isn’t as forward and I’m able to pick up actual pleasant odors. Would I drink it? Not yet, I suspect it wouldn’t make it very far down

the vodka I just steer clear

Edited by TehRegion219

39 years ago, while in the Navy, in Hawaii, I started a night of drinking Ouzo on the rocks. Once I got half way through with the bottle, my buds cheered me on to finish it. I have never been drunker, and I had a hangover that lasted for days. I am lucky I did not die. Ever since then, the mere thought of something anise flavored makes me ill. 

• I like it 1

Wow . . . ironic that reading this thread I see it was the same beast that bit my old man :)  For me, I've only recently been able to even SMELL Southern Comfort after drinking the better part of a bottle (honestly don't recall the proof, probably the 80 proof one) by myself - mixed with Mountain Dew.  One of the few times I drank to the point of puking.  Didn't help that I wasn't quite yet 21 . . . and some of the remnants of that evening wound up on my parents front porch.  I think it was 15+ years later when someone dared me to drink a shot of SoCo, which I survived.  But did NOT enjoy (and to this day haven't bought another bottle).

• I like it 1

This thread is incomplete without a mention of a certain pirate's spiced offering - or am I the only one?

captain-morgan_custom-24997c9c0452ac1a908e515014a67896765496a1-s800-c85.thumb.jpg.e212ab45dbc352a4bdd47f99cf7d6df9.jpg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.