What Beer Did You Purchase 2019

marshall9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Didn’t see a new one so I figured I would start it up. Haven’t bought much beer lately but stopped in my usual store since I was picking up dinner next door. Had just one bottle of one of my favorites on the shelf and with 2 years on it. A bourbon barrel aged chocolate stout.

IMG_2369.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, BigPapa said:

Wow , wish my area would let me purchase a case.

It was everywhere this year with no limits. I could have bought a truckload. At $21 a 4 pack plus tax that would have been prohibitively expensive.  These pics were about 6pm Friday evening.  It was still all over town most of the weekend. 

20190315_180001-784x1613.jpg

20190315_180022-784x1613.jpg

Edited by Clueby

I haven't seen KBS show up in VA yet.  I was surprised that Wegman's didn't get it yet (or a local shop that I like).

Went looking for some KBS at my usual store. None there but had some BCBS. They also had the orange and vanilla but those were $10 more.
IMG_2514.jpg

14 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Went looking for some KBS at my usual store. None there but had some BCBS. They also had the orange and vanilla but those were $10 more.
IMG_2514.jpg

Man, I love BCBS.  It truly is the best barrel aged stout out there.  Nonetheless, I can't bring myself to pay $10 or more for a bottle of beer any more.  Not when there are so many great barrel aged options out there.

I prefer KBS slightly over BCBS.  The vanilla variant is REALLY good though. I thought I'd like orange one more than I did.

I prefer KBS slightly over BCBS.  The vanilla variant is REALLY good though. I thought I'd like orange one more than I did.

I thought this years KBS was pretty poor attempt. I think they tried to please the masses this year and it fail the end result. I I get is huge amounts of coco powder . It’s a very thin beer this year compared to the past. And for s breakfast stout, shouldn’t it have a thick or creamy mouth feel?

I could keep going. But I won’t.
Yes I love KBS too but it’s not great this year .

2 hours ago, BigPapa said:

I thought this years KBS was pretty poor attempt. I think they tried to please the masses this year and it fail the end result. I I get is huge amounts of coco powder . It’s a very thin beer this year compared to the past. And for s breakfast stout, shouldn’t it have a thick or creamy mouth feel?

I could keep going. But I won’t.
Yes I love KBS too but it’s not great this year .

Only had 1 so far and it definitely paled to last years. Did the sbsbs of 17/18/19 and 18 was the clear winner. I still wouldn't call 19 a poor beer though.

Only had 1 so far and it definitely paled to last years. Did the sbsbs of 17/18/19 and 18 was the clear winner. I still wouldn't call 19 a poor beer though.

If you read my post I said poor attempt. And then at the bottom of the posted it was not a great beer . So I never called it a poor beer.  

36 minutes ago, BigPapa said:

If you read my post I said poor attempt. And then at the bottom of the posted it was not a great beer . So I never called it a poor beer.  

Umm..ok..sorry?  I should've said "a poor attempt at a not great beer"?

Relax. I was just pointing out that I likely think it's a better beer than you think it is.  Agree that it lost some creaminess. I chalked it up to the year of aging made the 18 creamier. To each his own. 

Umm..ok..sorry?  I should've said "a poor attempt at a not great beer"?
Relax. I was just pointing out that I likely think it's a better beer than you think it is.  Agree that it lost some creaminess. I chalked it up to the year of aging made the 18 creamier. To each his own. 

In general, yes it’s a great beer. Just not this year for me. To each his own is correct.
Cheers!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Did a little stock replenishment yesterday.   Some for now and some for later:

Schlafly-Lunar-Lager-Pack-1.jpg

boulevard_rye_on_rye.jpg

Snagged some KBS. Wanted to try the 2019 variation. I will say this is starting to push my price point. It was about $29 after taxes. Ugh.

11 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

Snagged some KBS. Wanted to try the 2019 variation. I will say this is starting to push my price point. It was about $29 after taxes. Ugh.

I bought a case at release for $20.99 per 4 pack.  There was so much this year that I still see it sitting around. One local has even discounted it to $16.99.

I like the 2019 but it's very heavy on the powdered cocoa note.

I bought a case at release for $20.99 per 4 pack.  There was so much this year that I still see it sitting around. One local has even discounted it to $16.99.
 I like the 2019 but it's very heavy on the powdered cocoa note.

At 16.99 I would be in for a case at least. At 26.99 plus tax. Ugh. I hate the price hikes for alcohol across the board. Bunker is getting thinner and thinner.

2 hours ago, Golferpimp1 said:

At 16.99 I would be in for a case at least. At 26.99 plus tax. Ugh. I hate the price hikes for alcohol across the board. Bunker is getting thinner and thinner.

Price hikes locally have been substantial.  Takes all the fun out of running my traps.

Cheers

Mike and I stopped at a liquor store on the way home from our Spring Bash in Bardstown. Mike grabbed a bottle for a coworker. I purchased an 8 pack of Little Kings. :D

Biba! Joe

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2019 at 10:26 PM, Golferpimp1 said:

It's still sitting around this year. Took that pic yesterday. 

20190510_180702-784x1613.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

You could say I like the Founders Barrell Aged Series. Also snagged a couple BCBS while they were available. One to drink and one to keep.

IMG_4145.jpg

On 11/30/2019 at 7:45 PM, Golferpimp1 said:

You could say I like the Founders Barrell Aged Series. Also snagged a couple BCBS while they were available. One to drink and one to keep.

IMG_4145.jpg

I'm guessing you're not bothered by Founders recent hot water (and out of court settlement) over racist conduct with a former employee....

Went down to Hood River for the holiday which is full of great breweries and came home with some Pfriem Belgian Style Christmas Ale, their Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout, and some Maple Barrel Aged Smoked Porter.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.