What dram are you enjoying - Winter/Spring 2019?

lcpfratn
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Since it’s no longer Fall 2018, I guess it’s time for a new thread start. I was not originally a GoT fan, but when Diageo released the Game of Thrones Scotch collection, I was intrigued by the marketing ploy, but didn’t think I would seek them out since I figured that getting all eight in the series would be like trying to round up every single one of the LE bourbons that come out each fall. When I stumbled onto four of them at very good prices at one store, however, I got pulled into the chase. Well, two of the eight were very hard for me to find, but I finally found them all with a bit of help from a fellow SB’r. I know several of these are just “meh” bottles of scotch, but I believe at least a few of them are pretty good based on the reviews I’ve read or seen. The prices were reasonable on most of these anyway, so I’m happy I was able to get the entire collection...and I also became a GoT fan in the process.

I recently opened two bottles, the Clynelish and the Lagavulin 9yr, and they are both pretty darn good. If I had to pick my favorite of the two it would probably be the Lagavulin, but I’m a Lagavulin fanboy anyway. I’ll eventually get around to opening all of them, but the ones I’ll probably open next are the Talisker and Oban. Slainte!

Edited by lcpfratn

29 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Since it’s no longer Fall 2018, I guess it’s time for a new thread start. I was not originally a GoT fan, but when Diageo released the Game of Thrones Scotch collection, I was intrigued by the marketing ploy, but didn’t think I would seek them out since I figured that getting all eight in the series would be like trying to round up every single one of the LE bourbons that come out each fall. When I stumbled onto four of them at very good prices at one store, however, I got pulled into the chase. Well, two of the eight were very hard for me to find, but I finally found them all with a bit of help from a fellow SB’r. I know several of these are just “meh” bottles of scotch, but I believe at least a few of them are pretty good based on the reviews I’ve read or seen. The prices were reasonable on most of these anyway, so I’m happy I was able to get the entire collection...and I also became a GoT fan in the process.

I recently opened two bottles, the Clynelish and the Lagavulin 9yr, and they are both pretty darn good. If I had to pick my favorite of the two it would probably be the Lagavulin, but I’m a Lagavulin fanboy anyway. I’ll eventually get around to opening all of them, but the ones I’ll probably open next are the Talisker and Oban. Slainte!

I've got them all open-- my advice would be to uncork the Dalwhinnie next.

I've got them all open-- my advice would be to uncork the Dalwhinnie next.

I should have known you’d have them all too! That was going to be the next one after the Talisker and Oban, but I guess I’ll bump the Dalwhinnie to the front of the line based on your suggestion.

Springbank 10 is hitting the spot this week. I prefer it over the 15 and 18, personally. 

• I like it 1

As luck would have it, I made a company paid trip to Dublin last week for 3 days of work, but had a Sunday and 3 weeknights available.  Wife went with me and we walked across the southside to Guinness, where she pronounced the stout "better than I thought it would be".  Small victories.  But we were just a couple of blocks from a large pub (Searsons) with a really well put together whiskey list that afforded me the opportunity to try some new tastes.  The bartenders were quite knowledgeable and helpful as well.

I tried Yellow Spot, Green Spot, and their latest release Red Spot, a 15 year single pot still whiskey aged in "a combination of casks pre-seasoned with Bourbon, Oloroso Sherry and Marsala fortified wine. "  Supposedly the varietal has been shelved for 50 years so it's a bit of a newsworthy release.  I liked it well enough to pick up a single bottle in the duty free shop at the airport.  Here's a piece on it if anyone's interested.  https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/irish-whiskey/red-spot-irish-whiskey-returns-to-the-fold-after-a-50-year-hiatus/

I keep Redbreast 12 in my cabinet, but they had a new one on the list, a RB 12 cask strength for just a couple of euro more, so I bit on a taste.  Wow!  117 proof, I swirled a cube in it for 15 seconds and pulled it back out, what a smooth (for the proof), delicious dram.  Clove, cinnamon, plum.  For more see the Whisky Advocate Editors Choice selections in the winter edition, they gave it a 95.  I didn't know that at the time, I just liked the higher proof as reason enough to order. 

I tried to buy it at the airport duty free as my first choice but it was already sold out.  "settled" for the Red Spot.

Searsons whiskey menu:  http://searsonsbar.ie/whiskey-bar/

• I like it 1

Warming up for St. Paddy's day with a pour of RB cask strength.  Always a very nice little change up! 

Having a pour of Glendronach 21. So good.

We can finally get this in our market, but I still haven’t been willing to cough up the dough they want for a bottle these days...I will have a weak moment someday though a make the splurge. I do have the 18yr though, so that helps me hold off on splurging on the 21. Enjoy that pour!

7 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

We can finally get this in our market, but I still haven’t been willing to cough up the dough they want for a bottle these days...I will have a weak moment someday though a make the splurge. I do have the 18yr though, so that helps me hold off on splurging on the 21. Enjoy that pour!

The price here is a bit much. After UK voted for Brexit and the pound fell in value, I ordered a few things from Master of Malt (back when they still shipped to the US!). Even with shipping, it was quite a bit less than what it goes for in the U.S.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Spade said:

The price here is a bit much. After UK voted for Brexit and the pound fell in value, I ordered a few things from Master of Malt (back when they still shipped to the US!). Even with shipping, it was quite a bit less than what it goes for in the U.S.

Only drawback is there are 50mls missing :) 

• I like it 2

I did exactly the same. It’s the only thing that I’ve intentionally bunkered. I felt weird about it but happy when I look at them.

I did exactly the same. It’s the only thing that I’ve intentionally bunkered. I felt weird about it but happy when I look at them.

Unfortunately, I missed my opportunity to do that. I ordered some rums, Blanton’s SFTB, Blanton’s Gold and some cheaper scotch that I couldn’t get here, but passed on adding Glendronach 21 at the time because my order was already pretty pricey. I just figured I’d add it with my next order, but then within a few months of receiving my order, Master of Malt stopped shipping to the U.S. [emoji3525]

Unfortunately, I missed my opportunity to do that. I ordered some rums, Blanton’s SFTB, Blanton’s Gold and some cheaper scotch that I couldn’t get here, but passed on adding Glendronach 21 at the time because my order was already pretty pricey. I just figured I’d add it with my next order, but then within a few months of receiving my order, Master of Malt stopped shipping to the U.S. [emoji3525]

So you’re saying that I might should bring up one next month in case you need a break from bourbon at some point over the weekend?
  • I like it 1

17 minutes ago, BigRich said:

So you’re saying that I might should bring up one next month in case you need a break from bourbon at some point over the weekend?

You always have been a tease Rich. ;)

Biba! Joe

Friday night dram. Glencairn Glass. Accompanied with a Laphroaig 10. This stuff is a treat. Love it. 

Hitting like Bill Ward on “War Pigs”... it’s got a crazy long evolving finish. 

ECCC147E-BF47-484C-9FE5-363D4A4C1C98.thumb.jpeg.bf7bed38a36d93368e5572b8aa68437a.jpeg

• I like it 1

42 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Hitting like Bill Ward on “War Pigs”... 

Love that description! To bad Ardbeg doesn't have an "opinion wall" like Laphroaig has, that'd be a great one!

• I like it 1

Rich, That sounds like a wonderful idea! I’m glad you thought of it. [emoji3][emoji106]

On 3/6/2019 at 8:41 PM, marshbound said:

As luck would have it, I made a company paid trip to Dublin last week for 3 days of work, but had a Sunday and 3 weeknights available.  Wife went with me and we walked across the southside to Guinness, where she pronounced the stout "better than I thought it would be".  Small victories.  But we were just a couple of blocks from a large pub (Searsons) with a really well put together whiskey list that afforded me the opportunity to try some new tastes.  The bartenders were quite knowledgeable and helpful as well.

I tried Yellow Spot, Green Spot, and their latest release Red Spot, a 15 year single pot still whiskey aged in "a combination of casks pre-seasoned with Bourbon, Oloroso Sherry and Marsala fortified wine. "  Supposedly the varietal has been shelved for 50 years so it's a bit of a newsworthy release.  I liked it well enough to pick up a single bottle in the duty free shop at the airport.  Here's a piece on it if anyone's interested.  https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/irish-whiskey/red-spot-irish-whiskey-returns-to-the-fold-after-a-50-year-hiatus/

I keep Redbreast 12 in my cabinet, but they had a new one on the list, a RB 12 cask strength for just a couple of euro more, so I bit on a taste.  Wow!  117 proof, I swirled a cube in it for 15 seconds and pulled it back out, what a smooth (for the proof), delicious dram.  Clove, cinnamon, plum.  For more see the Whisky Advocate Editors Choice selections in the winter edition, they gave it a 95.  I didn't know that at the time, I just liked the higher proof as reason enough to order. 

I tried to buy it at the airport duty free as my first choice but it was already sold out.  "settled" for the Red Spot.

Searsons whiskey menu:  http://searsonsbar.ie/whiskey-bar/

Cask Strength Redbreast 12yo has been available in the US for several years so you might find it locally. I prefer it to the regular 12 as well.

Red Spot has been rumored for years. There was also a Blue Spot back in the day but that was younger whiskey and not likely to be remade as they went straight to Green. Of course Green used to be a 10yo and now it is more like a blend of the 7yo Blue and the original 10yo Green. But it has been along time coming for Red Spot (more than just 3 years of additional aging). Hopefully it will come to the US at some point but I haven't seen it here yet. A little concerned about the "seasoning" of the barrels rather than aging in true Marsala casks like the original Red Spot was but I suppose it is too much to ask.  I will still try it if it ever shows up. A bit afraid of what the price is likely to be. Yellow Spot is already typically $100 or more. 

Edited by tanstaafl2

Finished up my annual shamrock in the front yard in time for St. Paddy’s Week...  :D  Bermuda grass is great.  You can totally thrash the crap out of it...and it loves you for it!  

Now, relaxing back with a Redbreast Cask Strength.

683C6BD3-4A74-4AFE-97E0-E7D5656EEAFE.jpeg

• I like it 3

30 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Finished up my annual shamrock in the front yard in time for St. Paddy’s Week...  :D  Bermuda grass is great.  You can totally thrash the crap out of it...and it loves you for it!  

Nice!

Is it celebrated all week over there? 

31 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

You want to come over Friday and do that in my yard in preparation for the weekend???

:lol:

14 minutes ago, beasled said:

Nice!

Is it celebrated all week over there? 

Well, at this house it is... :D

• I like it 2

15 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

You want to come over Friday and do that in my yard in preparation for the weekend???

:lol:

Heehee!  That wouldn’t be as fun as watching Troyce go into JimmyLand and try and carve it at 2:00 AM!  :D

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.