WT101 Rye- worth picking up?

kenton71
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just curious as to folks impressions on the WT101 Rye.  Ran across some today but didn’t pick up.  I do love WT as a whole but not tried this.  Thanks in advance for any feedback.

CM

I like it.  It's definitely worth a try.  Especially if you're a WT fan. 

I recommend it, too.  There is more differentiation in ryes than bourbons, IMO. From, Earthy to, pepper spice to, baking spices to, minty dill to bourbon-like...  I slot WT into the archetypal pepper spice category.  Or simply, SPICY.  A nice neat-drinker, but glorious in cocktails.  

I say yes.

Just curious, is it the current label or older  "Austin Nichols" label?

For what it is worth, i’m a fan.  Definitely a buy for me.

Edited by markandrex

I probably drink more of this than any other whiskey. Partially because I like cocktails in addition to neat and this stuff is super versatile, and not terribly expensive. I usually get it for $28.99 + tax for the liter 

Is WT 101 Rye a buy if you don't like WT? I've tried a lot of different WT offerings, and it's just not my thing. I also like ryes that are closer to a bourbon mashbill, barely legal style as opposed to 95% mashbills. I'm still curious to try it, but I don't want to drop $40 on a bottle to find out it's also not my thing.

52 minutes ago, silverc said:

Is WT 101 Rye a buy if you don't like WT? I've tried a lot of different WT offerings, and it's just not my thing. I also like ryes that are closer to a bourbon mashbill, barely legal style as opposed to 95% mashbills. I'm still curious to try it, but I don't want to drop $40 on a bottle to find out it's also not my thing.

That's a hard thing to gauge, I think it stands on it's own but I am unabashedly a WT fan.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, silverc said:

Technical correction here. WT mashbills aren’t high rye. They are pretty low. Indeed, WT rye is barely legal rye. The spiciness in their whiskey doesn’t come from higher rye content. It’s the yeast or their process or some other secret sauce. The spice is certainly part of their house style. I prefer to call their whiskey ‘rye forward’ rather than ‘high rye’ but that’s just me. Their mashbills are reputed to be:

Bourbon 75 corn 13 rye 12 barley

Rye 37 corn 51 rye 12 barley

On 3/8/2019 at 9:24 PM, BottledInBond said:

I probably drink more of this than any other whiskey. Partially because I like cocktails in addition to neat and this stuff is super versatile, and not terribly expensive. I usually get it for $28.99 + tax for the liter 

I totally agree with this!  I go through more bottles of WT101 rye than anything else.  It’s perfect for cocktails and my go to for drinks calling for a rye.  I also love it neat.  It’s so versatile and shines in everything it does and any way you use it.

On 3/8/2019 at 8:54 PM, PaulO said:

I say yes.

Just curious, is it the current label or older  "Austin Nichols" label?

If you are seeing "Austin Nichols" on the label, especially if it is a 750ml bottle, you are probably getting an older bottling and for me it would be a definite buy at typical retail. The WT 101 rye took a little hiatus a few years back for somewhat dubious reasons (at least to me). It came back in a liter bottle format only (I think that is still the case) and it still pretty good, especially in cocktails, but not sure it is quite the same as what it was before. 

If you enjoy rye, it's a staple (must have).  If you're not a rye fan, it's not going to do anything to change your perception.  Simple as that...

42 minutes ago, Paddy said:

If you enjoy rye, it's a staple (must have).  If you're not a rye fan, it's not going to do anything to change your perception.  Simple as that...

^^^St. Paddy’s Day is coming up...So, listen up and heed, y’all...  :)

• I like it 2

Can anyone speak to the availability of WT Rye 101?   

I've had my eye out for it, and every liquor store has it in the 81 proof, but I have yet to find the 101.

On 3/16/2019 at 12:06 PM, Anvil 20 said:

Can anyone speak to the availability of WT Rye 101?   

It is market dependent. If you've been looking for a while and haven't seen it it's likely that your market is not in the distribution zone.

You should be able to find it somewhere online.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.