Weller Full Proof

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Holy hunting frenzy Batman!  This is going to set off massive tatering! 

• I like it 4

Once again we have no age statement shown for a new bourbon. It'll be interesting to see where BT prices this bottle compared to W12. Which will be higher.....age or proof?

Edited by Vosgar

Its NCF so there's that. Wish this was age stated around 10 years. Not like I will see a bottle anyway.

• I like it 1

I just don’t see the point I guess. They can’t keep up the supply for the demand they have for the current Wellers. Why add a whole new product for just 7 proof points? Maybe if it was age stated or had some other hook but this is just 107+7 it seems.

Edit to add: I’m weak. I’m sure I’ll buy it if I see one at retail, so there’s your point I was missing. Lol.

• I like it 4

Has anyone heard anything about Weller full proof. Is this the reason that the OWA prices recently went up?

I am assuming this will also become another impossible to find offering from Buffalo Trace.

IMG_0837.jpg

36 minutes ago, BMartin42 said:

I just don’t see the point I guess. They can’t keep up the supply for the demand they have for the current Wellers. Why add a whole new product for just 7 proof points? Maybe if it was age stated or had some other hook but this is just 107+7 it seems.

Edit to add: I’m weak. I’m sure I’ll buy it if I see one at retail, so there’s your point I was missing. Lol.

Read the back label.  Like the OP pointed out, it's non-chill filtered.  This makes all the difference and justifies a separate SKU.  To me, that's much more important than the 7 proof points.  In theory, this product should relieve at least a little pressure from OWA NCF store picks.  But in reality with so many new chasers entering the market, I doubt it will make a dent in the "tater" problem.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

18 minutes ago, mfly86 said:

Has anyone heard anything about Weller full proof. Is this the reason that the OWA prices recently went up?

I am assuming this will also become another impossible to find offering from Buffalo Trace.

IMG_0837.jpg

There's already a thread on this in the Specialty/Limited thread, although it's not clear to me if it belongs there because I don't know if this is intended to be a limited bottling or not.  Regardless, the moderators will probably be merging the 2 threads.

Another one that will be a lottery for Ohio and paywalled in northern KY.  No worries, plenty of other good stuff out there.

• I like it 1

Its NCF so there's that. Wish this was age stated around 10 years. Not like I will see a bottle anyway.

Ok NCF so there’s that, yeah an age statement, even 7 years would be nice. If by some chance I stumble upon one at under $50, I’d grab it.

40 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Read the back label.  Like the OP pointed out, it's non-chill filtered.  This makes all the difference and justifies a separate SKU.  To me, that's much more important than the 7 proof points.  In theory, this product should relieve at least a little pressure from OWA NCF store picks.  But in reality with so many new chasers entering the market, I doubt it will make a dent in the "tater" problem.

Could not have said it any better.

Definitely interested in this but I’d imagine it’s going to be limited and lottery around here so I doubt that I’ll get one. 

I would buy this if I found it at retail - but I would never hunt for it or pay extra $$ for it.  I wonder what MSRP will be.

1 minute ago, kemosabe said:

I would buy this if I found it at retail - but I would never hunt for it or pay extra $$ for it.  I wonder what MSRP will be.

The price will be very interesting seeing that OWA is supposed to be around $50 now. 

Five years ago... I'd have actually gotten a bit exited about this.

With the current saturation of Weller products in the marketplace :rolleyes:, aside the great prices most of us are seeing ;), this, to me, is a big yawn! 

• I like it 1

With the popularity of "full proof" and "barrel proof" bourbons, this makes complete sense.  Maker's CS is $55-ish, so I'd expect this would be in that same ballpark (although I suspect it won't actually hit the shelves; at least not locally - this will be held in the back or put in the lottery, etc).  Seems like the production volume should be such that soon these will start to be available more readily (one can hope).  But I'm definitely interested.  

Since there's no age statement and no expense for chill filtering......would any price above what Beam charges for OGB114 be considered excessive? :P

• I like it 3

15 minutes ago, GaryT said:

With the popularity of "full proof" and "barrel proof" bourbons, this makes complete sense.  Maker's CS is $55-ish, so I'd expect this would be in that same ballpark (although I suspect it won't actually hit the shelves; at least not locally - this will be held in the back or put in the lottery, etc).  Seems like the production volume should be such that soon these will start to be available more readily (one can hope).  But I'm definitely interested.  

You know Country, if MSRP of OWA was still in the $20s, a $55 for this would seem reasonable.  But, with MSRP of OWA now at ~$50, I’m thinking this has to be well over that.  Maybe, they’ll surprise us, though!

I don't understand why they'd expand the Weller line when they can't even meet demand for the current bottles. 

• I like it 9

14 minutes ago, Spade said:

I don't understand why they'd expand the Weller line when they can't even meet demand for the current bottles. 

It signals to me that they are repositioning the line higher up the shelf in anticipation of increased stock availability in the near future.  What “near” is, is surely open to much speculation, but when those stocks are available,  it makes sense to try for higher margins on this highly sought after label.   A strategy of obtaining these higher margins on new releases with incremental product enhancements instead of pounding through large increases on the legacy SR, OWA, and W12 only, should/could play better to the consumer.  

• I like it 3

Oh boy! Like we really need another Weller to chase after! If I get lucky and manage to find one or two at retail (whatever that ends up being), then fine, but I don’t think I’ll chase this. I didn’t chase the CYPB, and didn’t end up getting one. The ones that I had a chance at were priced ridiculously, so I just passed and that was OK.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I don’t know if I see the point. OWA is 107 and this 114. I’d rather them bring Centennial or something similar back.

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

Five years ago... I'd have actually gotten a bit exited about this.

With the current saturation of Weller products in the marketplace :rolleyes:, aside the great prices most of us are seeing ;), this, to me, is a big yawn! 

Agree with both of these. A 10-12 year age statement would have gotten me excited. 

Price wise I’m guessing it will be about $80.  I don’t think I would be able to pass if given a chance to buy at MSRP, even at $80. 

Oh boy! Like we really need another Weller to chase after! If I get lucky and manage to find one or two at retail (whatever that ends up being), then fine, but I don’t think I’ll chase this. I didn’t chase the CYPB, and didn’t end up getting one. The ones that I had a chance at were priced ridiculously, so I just passed and that was OK.

Never even saw a CYPB except on that unmentionable auction site and rolled my eyes at the price there. Would’ve been interested to try but just wasn’t meant to be.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.