Weller Full Proof

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Probable pricing and availability aside, this is a another good sign of potentially good things to come from the legacy Distilleries, IMO.  These line extensions beyond just relabeling of a discontinued item, are good signs, even if they may not present most of us with the ability to take immediate advantage of them.  

As our friend here on SB who floats around seas unknown has pointed out often, time is on our side.  :D  It will all come together nicely, we just have to be patient.  In the meantime, relish on the many great bourbons that we do have.  

• I like it 3

I've got that "bourbon zen" thing going these days and have the distinct feeling I'll be passing on it unless it's a helluva lot cheaper than I think it'll be. (famous last words :))

• I like it 3

Never even saw a CYPB except on that unmentionable auction site and rolled my eyes at the price there. Would’ve been interested to try but just wasn’t meant to be.

I got to try it in Bardstown at either our Spring Sampler 2018 or KBF. I think Bruce brought a bottle. It was good, but it didn’t excite me as much as some Private Selections of OWA.

8 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

I just don’t see the point I guess. They can’t keep up the supply for the demand they have for the current Wellers. Why add a whole new product for just 7 proof points? Maybe if it was age stated or had some other hook but this is just 107+7 it seems.

Edit to add: I’m weak. I’m sure I’ll buy it if I see one at retail, so there’s your point I was missing. Lol.

This is my cynical response, BT has been making more and more bourbon if they don't keep releasing new brand extensions you will start seeing more of the other Weller's on the shelf and scarcity is their biggest allure. 

• I like it 5

12 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I got to try it in Bardstown at either our Spring Sampler 2018 or KBF. I think Bruce brought a bottle. It was good, but it didn’t excite me as much as some Private Selections of OWA.

Uhhhh, this one hasn't even been released yet Jeff. You sure it wasn't something else?

Joe

3 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Uhhhh, this one hasn't even been released yet Jeff. You sure it wasn't something else?

Joe

He was referring to the CYPB, I believe.  

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

He was referring to the CYPB, I believe.  

I thought the same thing Joe. Just wanted to make sure.

Joe

My comment was in response to BMartin42’s comment about CYPB. I know you were having comprehension difficulties because you were so excited about this new Weller FP release! [emoji6]
  • I like it 1

Taking full advantage of the hysteria. Reminds me of KISS. Just make W12 more available. Oh well.. I guess its a buisness after all. 

3 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

It signals to me that they are repositioning the line higher up the shelf in anticipation of increased stock availability in the near future.  What “near” is, is surely open to much speculation, but when those stocks are available,  it makes sense to try for higher margins on this highly sought after label.   A strategy of obtaining these higher margins on new releases with incremental product enhancements instead of pounding through large increases on the legacy SR, OWA, and W12 only, should/could play better to the consumer.  

This seems like reasonable speculation. I sure hope it's correct!

Okay folks, these threads have now been merged. It would be much appreciated that if in the future, maybe some of y'all could maybe pay just a little more attention before just posting something. It would make my/our job as a staff member here just a little easier. 

This thread is about the Weller Full Proof and not the CYPB. My apologies Jeff.  

Joe

• I like it 1

This release makes me really angry, being that I haven't even seen a bottle of OWA in the wild in 3 years, when it used to be my daily sipper at $23 a bottle. Piss off Buffalo Trace.

11 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

You know Country, if MSRP of OWA was still in the $20s, a $55 for this would seem reasonable.  But, with MSRP of OWA now at ~$50, I’m thinking this has to be well over that.  Maybe, they’ll surprise us, though!

Oh damn.  I hadn't seen OWA in so long, I didn't know they'd gone and doubled it!  Although I shoulda figured when I saw WSR for $30 the other day, and folks snapping/texting pics like they'd found BTAC on the shelf.  

Unfortunately, I suspect it will be another Weller that will be difficult to find.

My first thought was somebody dropped an April Fools prank three weeks early.  I guess this is the perfect release for those who want a hotter and more difficult to obtain OWA.  

BT Motto......why use our expanded capacity to ease allocation for our cheaper products when we can create “new enhanced” products that we can also allocate and gouge the heck out of people with. There’s a reason Wild Turkey has recently become my favorite Distillery.

• I like it 2

6 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

BT Motto......why use our expanded capacity to ease allocation for our cheaper products when we can create “new enhanced” products that we can also allocate and gouge the heck out of people with. There’s a reason Wild Turkey has recently become my favorite Distillery.

Two weeks ago, I was in a store I frequent just 2-3 times per year, and while moving down the aisle looking at the selection on the shelf, I kicked something on the floor with my foot.  I looked down, and giggled when I saw what I kicked was one of a half dozen bottles of Weller SR.  $32, BTW.  Yes, I literally tripped over a pile of Weller. :D  Yesterday, my whiskey monger, who has a small bourbon footprint to begin with, had two rows deep of WSR on the shelf.  

I know that each market has its own story to tell on Weller availability.  Atlanta has been very lean on it the past several years, but WSR at least is starting to hit with some, though not unlimited, regularity.  My own unscientific study here on SB would indicate to me that this trend is happening with increasing frequency in more areas (not alll) around the country.  

My motto for BT would read differently, I think.  

The Weller CYPB was nothing special. To me it was right in line with WSR, OWA, and W12, so I'm sure this will slide right in the lineup. don't get me wrong, none of them or bad by any means, just not on the next level of WLW.  To me if BT really wanted to do something that most bourbon drinkers want it would be to cut back a little more on the Weller line (not to much, I know Joe needs his Weller) and let a BP William Larue Weller Jr. (9 to 10y) come out 2 to 3 times a year. That would be special. 

• I like it 1

56 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I know that each market has its own story to tell on Weller availability.  Atlanta has been very lean on it the past several years, but WSR at least is starting to hit with some, though not unlimited, regularity.  My own unscientific study here on SB would indicate to me that this trend is happening with increasing frequency in more areas (not alll) around the country.  

Where I live (SF Bay Area) it seems the trend is in the opposite direction.  Used to be able to find WSR (and OWA) two or three times a year at my local Bevmo.  Haven't seen any in at least a year now.  Last summer saw one bottle of WSR at a small independent LS for $59!  Hopefully, increased production will bring better days ahead but, for now, I'm nursing my small stash of WSR and OWA

29 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Where I live (SF Bay Area) it seems the trend is in the opposite direction.  Used to be able to find WSR (and OWA) two or three times a year at my local Bevmo.  Haven't seen any in at least a year now.  Last summer saw one bottle of WSR at a small independent LS for $59!  Hopefully, increased production will bring better days ahead but, for now, I'm nursing my small stash of WSR and OWA

Somebody(s) probably developed an inside lane relationship at the same stores you frequent!  

29 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Somebody(s) probably developed an inside lane relationship at the same stores you frequent!  

I have that inside lane at my local and it used to result in regular purchases of OWA. It wasn't that he set them aside for me, it was that he let me know when it was arriving. I'd never clear a shelf but I would go back day after day to buy one if it was still sitting there and it was!

Then it evolved to where I would need him to set one aside. That was early last year. By late last year it had evolved to where he only gets one, yes I said only one, from each release. It seems the distributor uses these for favors now. I don't ask for it anymore so my local can use the one bottle he gets to make someone else happy. I was smart to see this coming a couple years ago so I have a good stash!

We are always the last to see a trend so perhaps that uptick WSR availability is headed our way.

VA isn't the best state for availability of anything, but everything BT is pretty limited nowadays.  Regular BT and Blanton's usually sell out on delivery day (and are 1 per customer too).  EH Taylor comes and goes same day, same with Stagg Jr.  Even Eagle Rare which was usually the attainable BT product seems to run out from time to time now.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.