How do you all acquire these bottles?

pyro273
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

17 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

My response that you quoted was a response to a post about a LS manager who was being arrogant to an otherwise potentially good customer because, as you put it, he feels lucky in the current business environment, and thinks he can treat customers like crap. That has nothing to do with supply and demand, but stupid business practices. I don’t support businesses that act like that, and my point was that eventually those kind of businesses will likely regret that behavior...if they survive the eventual reversal in the current supply and demand disconnect.

Thanks for explaining that. This is when you hope for karma.

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I'm gonna chime in here just cause' I saw some ridiculous s**t today. I full well understand that store owners have a right to make a buck. I also realize that sometimes marking up a product a little higher than a normal percentage (but still within reason) might be called for. But there is, or at least should be a limit. A reasonable markup is not 100%-150%. <_<

Joe

The markets will find their own level.

On 3/11/2019 at 7:25 PM, Vosgar said:

This is complete bullshit as far as I'm concerned, and sorry if I'm offending anyone. Preying on your customers with a legal scam. It's so sad that this is fairly common in the liquor store business these days and it pains me to see good people held up like this.  (please believe me, this isn't personal, Clueby)

"Hey everyone, you need to spend tons of your hard earned money at my store so that perhaps, maybe, if you're lucky, you'll qualify for the opportunity for a chance to spend even more money at my store and get a special bottle. And.....you have to do this each and every year!"

What a crock!  (getting down off the soapbox now)

I agree. Might as well buy secondary. Or avoid the hype, hoopla, and BS of the btac/vw/LE chase and find a store that offers quality store picks. Or better yet get involved with a local group that may or may not help with barrel selections. 

Who cares?

So many great Bourbons out there at a fraction of the cost. Why bother with the stress, anguish and difficulty/ work of hunting down and then paying the bullshit cost for what isn't really any better than what you can get for 3 times less money???

• I like it 9

• 3 weeks later...

As someone pretty new to this, I didn't realize the scarcity of some of these items the prices they fetch on the secondary market.

How does one determine MSRP for items they've never seen at MSRP? Honestly, I thought WTS had a price of $500 & Pappy (I don't know the variants, because frankly I'll never own one and don't care to invest the time) was always over $1000. 

26 minutes ago, jwperry said:

As someone pretty new to this, I didn't realize the scarcity of some of these items the prices they fetch on the secondary market.

How does one determine MSRP for items they've never seen at MSRP? Honestly, I thought WTS had a price of $500 & Pappy (I don't know the variants, because frankly I'll never own one and don't care to invest the time) was always over $1000. 

Just google the name of the whiskey followed by msrp and you'll probably get a number of hits.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

Just google the name of the whiskey followed by msrp and you'll probably get a number of hits.

I can't believe I didn't think of that...

Ok, back to read only for me for a while!

3 minutes ago, jwperry said:

I can't believe I didn't think of that...

Ok, back to read only for me for a while!

No, no, no........questions are OK!

1 hour ago, jwperry said:

flahute's answer works.  I was going to suggest visiting the websites of states that closely control spirits sales - Virginia, New Hampshire, and Michigan come to mind.  They post price lists.  I like the other answer better - less typing.:D

• I like it 1

At least once a month and many times twice a month I set my work schedule so my Friday afternoons don’t have any customer meetings and spend 4 hours or so Bourbon hunting across the Dallas area.

I keep a note of a few stores to understand which day the receive deliveries and on average what time they usually get a delivery. Because my Friday’s are flexible, the few I track and visit often get deliveries on Fridays. I spend the rest of the time hitting random places that day

• I like it 1

How?  I knew that, today, I would be visiting several hardware stores in order to get samples of siding stain that would match the color of the plastic deck we had installed last year which she told me I just HAD to match.  SO - I typed in the location of each paint place, asked The Internet what liquor stores were near each, checked their websites fort inventory, plotted my itinerary. and set out at "CRACK O'DAWN" (which is 9AM for us retirees), and said I'd be back by Noon or so and to call me if she thought of something she wanted me to pick up.  I'd take a crotch shot of what I got, but they won';t all fit.

• I like it 4

I haven't been in the game nearly as long as many members here but for me it's turned out to be dumb luck.  Got in a raffle once.  I'm not wealthy so can't afford to drop $1000 per week on booze a store in order to be bumped up the chain.

Lately, been more content with finding what's available and what I like.  The craziness is still strong but unfortunately that quality has also come down with older favorites.  Had a pour recently of the recent WLW and wasn't impressed, considering what 2nd market is.  

There's still some readily available stuff that's pretty good.  Still, always on the hunt for some Rock Hill Farms.

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

I, like several others in this thread, got into bourbon before the peak of the boom...2012 to be exact.  At that time PVW wasn't on shelves any more but it was still occasionally obtainable.  BTAC could be found on shelves every now and then.  Oh yeah, and I don't know if any of the folks who have been around here a while remember TPS, but that was an awesome place to order hard to get stuff online at MSRP before KY shut their mail order business down.  That's actually how I got my one and only bottle of PVW 15.

Anyway, I haven't done the hunt in a few years, and pretty much don't care about the LE stuff anymore.  GTS is the only thing that gets my attention now.  The reason for this is that as I got into bourbon and learned to sip and pick out flavors and all that stuff, it turns out that most things still taste similar to me and I can only pick out obvious flavors like caramel and cinnamon.   So one could say that there's no point in me hunting the LEs because I can't really taste much of a difference.  GTS, ECBP and a couple of others are probably the only LEs that have a significant taste difference to me.  PVW 20...honestly it tastes like some lower end stuff that's been in wood a loooooooong time...ha ha ha....I know some of you are like "What!", but yeah that's how my palette sees it.  

Funny thing was I opened a WSR with an age statement on it recently that I've had for a long time with zero expectations based on others opinions of WSR, and that's probably one of the best wheaters I've ever had.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.