Willet 5/6 year Bourbon

Bob_Loblaw
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Little follow up for those who are interested.  I heard back from the Willett Visiter center email that I found on the homepage.  They responded as follows: 

"I apologize for the delayed response. There’s not to much information I can provide regarding this specific batch. However, anytime there is a “Willett Family Estate” bottle with a specific label with a name on the back, that means that it was part of a barrel selection program. That intells that a retail store, bar, or restaurant selected that specific barrel and the name and we bottled and labeled it for them, therefore they could then do with it what they choose. There is not a way for me to know when and where this was distributed. You may want to contact the distributor for the state that you purchased the bottle in since legally we must sell to them first. Hope this information helps."

I am surprised that they had so little information to offer, but nice to get a response.  I spoke with my LS today who followed up with the distributor and forwarded me the below email:

Rok Sey is named after a Roller Rink in Seymour Indiana.

The mash bill is 79/7/14.

Is the second number (7%) usually rye or barley or no way to know? 

Either way I have a little vacation this weekend starting tonight and am debating between a store pick Blanton's or popping this guy.

The second number is either rye or wheat. This recipe is a rye recipe I believe.

Well, I have a four year rye and a five year bourbon store select and I find both to be excellent. The rye trends towards the finest bottles in my stash. 

• I like it 1

22 hours ago, graftonbc1 said:

Well, I have a four year rye and a five year bourbon store select and I find both to be excellent. The rye trends towards the finest bottles in my stash. 

And I think I know where you got 'em 'cause I got some, too!   ☺️

On 3/17/2019 at 5:47 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

They (my store) had no idea. Believe they only got 6 bottles of each. 

All good. It’s way overpriced which is why I posted in the first place. I am not at all convinced Willett distillate is any good. They have proven very good at picking and/or aging honey barrels. No guarantee that carries over 

These are going $300-$450+ on the secondary.

For $60-$90, anyone that finds me one I will send you all my money! Lol

Edited by andrewdodd86

3 hours ago, GeeTen said:

And I think I know where you got 'em 'cause I got some, too!   ☺️

You know me all too well, brother. 

1 hour ago, andrewdodd86 said:

That is just wild. Not even sure its worth the $90.

I will say this the pour was very unique.  Still had a cinnamony red hots type of flavor to it, but it was not nearly as brash as what I tasted in the prior Willett distillate I had.  Going to try and let it sit awhile before revisiting.  

• I like it 1

On 3/17/2019 at 2:19 PM, 0895 said:

Icelandic for “overpriced” ?

So sorry.

I mean well, I just can’t help myself sometimes... :)

I know you were just kidding, but you drive home an excellent point.  All the hoopla Willett gets for putting out a measly 6-year old product.  Compare that to boring ole Wild Turkey, quietly slipping in some surplus 10-year old whiskey into their mass produced large-batch $22 product with no PR fanfare whatsoever -- with NO PRICE INCREASE.   Jimmy & Eddie Russell rule!

• I like it 5

On 3/25/2019 at 9:01 AM, andrewdodd86 said:

For $60-$90, anyone that finds me one I will send you all my money! Lol

Seriously?  You can do better than this stuff, with a little education and research.  Don't be a mindless tater.  Become an educated tater ;- )

• I like it 2

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:21 AM, Kepler said:

Seriously?  You can do better than this stuff, with a little education and research.  Don't be a mindless tater.  Become an educated tater ;- )

To each his own and maybe he really loves the 5/6 year old bourbon from Willett as I know that I've enjoyed the few that I've tried.  For me, I prefer their ryes and the few 5 and 6 year old ryes that I've had the pleasure trying have been fantastic. 

Edited by ThirstyinOhio

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:05 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

Does anyone know if they are using sweet mash to make their bourbon? This could also be a cause of the red hot cinnamon taste, since sweet mashing can make the ferment more prone to bacterial contamination. 

At any rate, I hope this sheds a little light on the subject. Quite frankly, I haven't gone back to the Willett distillate since I tasted what they first started distilling again. I found the distillate quite faulty back then, but I hope things have changed since and perhaps I ought to give it another try. 

Cheers,

Nancy

No, Willett uses the standard sour mash process. 

On 3/28/2019 at 1:21 AM, Kepler said:

Didn't say I was paying that, just commenting on the pricing.

I'm in at closer to retail, personally. For $60-$90 they are incredible pours.

For secondary, not so much. 

• I like it 1

We went to the Willett Dinner at 21C in Louisville last year and got to sample most of their stuff.  During dinner they came around and we drew numbers which was our place in picking the bottles they brought (if we were so inclined).  My wife and my numbers were so high that by the time they got to us the best thing available was their BP 5 y.o. wheated bourbon.  It's pretty darn good.

• I like it 3

On 4/3/2019 at 7:50 AM, ThirstyinOhio said:

No, Willett uses the standard sour mash process. 

Wow, thanks, that's good to know. That makes it more curious to me why the early distillate had so many faults. Do you know anything about the early fermentation temperatures? 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.