Legent

BourbonGuy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just heard about this.  I did a search which didn't turn up much here.  It was supposed to be brought out in March.  I guess as much a Fred Noe may not like it, the Japanese do own the company and have exerted some influence. 

1 hour ago, BourbonGuy said:

Just heard about this.  I did a search which didn't turn up much here.  It was supposed to be brought out in March.  I guess as much a Fred Noe may not like it, the Japanese do own the company and have exerted some influence. 

Your last sentence has me confused.  I looked, but could not find anything on record that Fred Noe was unhappy about anything, particularly this collaboration with a partner from another division within the company?

It hit shelves in NYC on Tuesday, with Fred's face front and center…

legent_bottle.thumb.jpg.694aefc5711403cdba1d96c228d11820.jpg

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, BourbonGuy said:

Some comments about Legent, and a link to an article about it, appeared last week on SB's "Fun with TTB COLAs online".  The article indicated that Fred Noe and Shinji Fukuyo, his counterpart, worked closely on this.  The couple times I got to talk to the Beam bourbon and Beam Japanese whiskey people at Whisky Fest (in different rooms), I got the impression that the two whiskey groups got along well because they saw their products as complementary rather than as competitive.  Here at page 7 or so (although you may have already seen this): https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/26564-fun-with-ttb-colas-online/?tab=comments#comment-590504 

I am STILL a buyer of at least one at about $35.  Summer's coming, and lighter whiskies will be in demand.

It hit shelves in NYC on Tuesday, with Fred's face front and center…

legent_bottle.thumb.jpg.694aefc5711403cdba1d96c228d11820.jpg

That is a cool looking bottle and label! It’ll be awhile before I see it in my neck of the woods, but I’m in for at least one bottle...maybe more.
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

That is a cool looking bottle and label! It’ll be awhile before I see it in my neck of the woods, but I’m in for at least one bottle...maybe more.

I’m expecting it locally in a week or so— I rarely buy bourbon in New York due to the odd pricing curve (compared to SMSW and rum). That pic was from a LS “arrival” posting. 

• I like it 1

I’m expecting it locally in a week or so— I rarely buy bourbon in New York due to the odd pricing curve (compared to SMSW and rum). That pic was from a LS “arrival” posting. 

I talked to a distributor rep this week, and they are thinking it might not be around here until June.

23 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Your last sentence has me confused.  I looked, but could not find anything on record that Fred Noe was unhappy about anything, particularly this collaboration with a partner from another division within the company?

This was some time ago.  In fact someone referenced and article.  The gist of it was that the Suntory bought Beam and now want improved efficiencies.  The basic reply from Beam was "Don't tell us how to make bourbon." 

• I like it 1

41 minutes ago, BourbonGuy said:

This was some time ago.  In fact someone referenced and article.  The gist of it was that the Suntory bought Beam and now want improved efficiencies.  The basic reply from Beam was "Don't tell us how to make bourbon." 

My understanding was that the cultural dust up you’re referring to happened years ago and they’re in better terms now. I seem to recall the suggestion from Suntory regarding water filtration sometime around 2015/16 for some reason. 

4 hours ago, BourbonGuy said:

The efficiencies being referred to there are corporate/business related and are not about distillation/production.

If anyone tastes it, I would be interested to know your thoughts and price paid.

6 hours ago, BourbonGuy said:

If anyone tastes it, I would be interested to know your thoughts and price paid.

If you want to know local price, fairly certain that Warehouse in NYC has the cheapest price "local" to NY/NJ at the moment on Winesearcher @ $37.99, if you need an excuse to place an order they also have JB Distiller's Cut for $15.99 at the moment a rare "Deal" for NYC.

On 3/16/2019 at 2:43 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

Some comments about Legent, and a link to an article about it, appeared last week on SB's "Fun with TTB COLAs online".  The article indicated that Fred Noe and Shinji Fukuyo, his counterpart, worked closely on this.  The couple times I got to talk to the Beam bourbon and Beam Japanese whiskey people at Whisky Fest (in different rooms), I got the impression that the two whiskey groups got along well because they saw their products as complementary rather than as competitive.  Here at page 7 or so (although you may have already seen this): https://www.straightbourbon.com/community/topic/26564-fun-with-ttb-colas-online/?tab=comments#comment-590504 

I am STILL a buyer of at least one at about $35.  Summer's coming, and lighter whiskies will be in demand.

Yeah, an easy try @$35.  I see 94 proof as a plus as I get tired of 100+ proof bourbons.  

• I like it 1

18 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

Yeah, an easy try @$35.  I see 94 proof as a plus as I get tired of 100+ proof bourbons.  

On really hot days after yard work, sometimes a sub-100 with a cube or two is as refreshing as chugging a beer but doesn't make me fall asleep in the Sun or feel really sluggish in the evening.

• I like it 2

20 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

On really hot days after yard work, sometimes a sub-100 with a cube or two is as refreshing as chugging a beer but doesn't make me fall asleep in the Sun or feel really sluggish in the evening.

Exactly why I keep 80p 4RYL in my freezer all summer.  :)

• I like it 5

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2019 at 5:35 PM, cfochs said:

Anyone try this yet?  

I did pick one up today (FRI 26 APR) but aside from a couple sips, I have not really spent any time with it.  Now that it is open, however, my initial impression (but not really tasting notes) are - think Hibiki then think bourbon pepper and spice then think lack of corn sweetness then think it is more complex than that first sip suggested.

More later.

• I like it 2

I’m very fond of this bottle. One of my better purchases recently. So good, in fact, that I will soon need a second bottle. 

• I like it 1

I’m half way through the bottle, and I just can’t find anything “special” with it.  There is nothing off, but nothing to make me stand up and notice.  I would have liked a bit “more” of something.  Perhaps, I’ll find that a bit more on my journey through it.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I’m half way through the bottle, and I just can’t find anything “special” with it.  There is nothing off, but nothing to make me stand up and notice.  I would have liked a bit “more” of something.  Perhaps, I’ll find that a bit more on my journey through it.

I am about a quarter of the way through mine and I would have to agree. I do find it a bit unique but I still don't think that warrants it being special enough.

32 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I am about a quarter of the way through mine and I would have to agree. I do find it a bit unique but I still don't think that warrants it being special enough.

Finished mine won’t replace.  Agree with the above. A novelty. There was definite fruit notes, but to me was more like the bourbon was poured into a glass that used to have cranberry juice in it that was emptied, but not cleaned. I also got a very “yeasty” corn taste. 

• 1 month later...

My first impressions are that this won't be a repeat buy. The whiskey tastes young and the various flavors don't seem to meld together well. The nose is pretty nice, but when I sip some, first I get the whiskey, then the wine and sherry influences come up on their own. It's not like other finished whiskies where the casks actually alter the flavor of the bourbon but rather a 1,2,3 relay race. 

On a side note, after having a number of sips I fired up an Oliva Master Blends 3 cigar. The next taste of Legent gave me more bizarre flavors than I've ever had with a whiskey, and none were good. I have no idea of how to describe them. The worst pairing I've ever had.......by far. Put the Legent aside, poured some regular BT, and all is well again :) 

I'll try it a few more times to make sure tonight isn't just an off night, but I have a feeling I'll be giving this bottle away.

• I like it 3

16 hours ago, Vosgar said:

...but I have a feeling I'll be giving this bottle away.

That's what I did...

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, Vosgar said:

My first impressions are that this won't be a repeat buy. The whiskey tastes young and the various flavors don't seem to meld together well. The nose is pretty nice, but when I sip some, first I get the whiskey, then the wine and sherry influences come up on their own. It's not like other finished whiskies where the casks actually alter the flavor of the bourbon but rather a 1,2,3 relay race. 

On a side note, after having a number of sips I fired up an Oliva Master Blends 3 cigar. The next taste of Legent gave me more bizarre flavors than I've ever had with a whiskey, and none were good. I have no idea of how to describe them. The worst pairing I've ever had.......by far. Put the Legent aside, poured some regular BT, and all is well again :) 

I'll try it a few more times to make sure tonight isn't just an off night, but I have a feeling I'll be giving this bottle away.

Semi related: a number of months back I conducted the whiskey tasting that was donated to a charity auction. For this tasting, the idea was to pick two houses and taste through basic up to premium brands for the chosen houses.

Beam was one of the houses and for the first time since the age statement dropped, I bought a Knob Creek. Nobody really liked it. I thought it tasted young. Tried it again last week and same thing. It's now to me a sub par whiskey and has been relegated to the cocktail bottle stash.

My last bottle of Bakers also tasted young. I'm not sure if I have changed or if Bakers used to older than the 7yr age statement and now is exactly 7.

For all those reasons, when I red the description of Legent I knew right away it would be a pass for me.

Thank you for confirming!

• I like it 2

• 3 weeks later...

I did SBS with the KC9 and NAS back when the switch happened, and again just recently.  I agree with your assessment Steve! 

(Good think I have eight handles of the KC9 stashed away...) 

Legent and all these "new" brands are exhausting. 

"Stop the Train, I'm Leaving..." 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.