2019 Hidden Bargains / Extreme Values

callingtom
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What are some of the Hidden Bargains that are sitting on the shelf right now.  It can be any price, but it needs to be on the shelf, so most of us can go out and try it.  The last topic that kinda covered this spoke of Henry McKenna 10 as a hidden gem.  Now in my area, it is behind the counter or is now priced at $39.99-$49.99 as an allocated item. 

What is still hiding in plain sight that we should be pouring?

If we talk about it too much here it might end up behind the counter with McKenna.

• I like it 6

Wild Turkey 101 late summer and fall bottlings (LLGH, I &J), WT Rare Breed, Booker's Kitchen Table, Knob Creek SiB store picks and.... Evan Williams BiB.  It's hard to imagine the EW becoming hard to find but who thought HH6BiB would go away. 

• I like it 2

I've only bought one bottle of the current NAS VOB BIB, but it's been darn good. Surprisingly so. Then again, I always preferred the 6yr VOB to HH6BIB, so take that into consideration...... 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

I've only bought one bottle of the current NAS VOB BIB, but it's been darn good. Surprisingly so. Then again, I always preferred the 6yr VOB to HH6BIB, so take that into consideration...... 

This

2 hours ago, flahute said:

If we talk about it too much here it might end up behind the counter with McKenna.

I'm glad that we got this answer quickly out of the way.  I knew it was coming! :D

• I like it 2

I’ll second the Wild Turkey 101 and Knob Creek single barrel store picks from fosmith, and I’ll add in the Wild Turkey 101 rye, and the Old Forester rye. 

Pricing and distribution vary wildly state to state and town to town. For example I wish we got VOB BIB as Vosgar mentioned as well as the Early Times BIB in Mennesota but we don’t. I go to KY regularly though so I can get them. Thankfully we do have better pricing and availability on certain other things. As an example, ER10 is $28.99 at the Total Wine a mile from my house. For that price, it’s a bargain/value in our current market. 

2 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Just ran out and picked 1 up + and an Early Times BIB liter.  VOB BIB $12.99.  I already have 3 handles of WT101 with the desired date codes.

4 hours ago, Vosgar said:

a couple stores that I frequent have VOB BIB behind the counter or in the glass case now...  that said, it is pretty amazing stuff for $17.  WT101 is another great one for $20

I've heard state minimums on HM10 has gone to 50+ but TW sells it for  $27 in certain markets. I love this weller hype train. Rare breed sells for $30 as well. 

8 hours ago, DonutsNBourbon said:

a couple stores that I frequent have VOB BIB behind the counter or in the glass case now...  

That's just insane :blink:

Maybe we should start talking up how wonderful Old Thompson is and see what happens......

• I like it 1

7 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

That's just insane :blink:

Maybe we should start talking up how wonderful Old Thompson is and see what happens......

I'm amazed seeing the number of bourbons that are being treated as rare commodities as the months go by. When something as ordinary as VOB is being given "special" treatment it makes you wonder if we'll see the day when everything is behind the counter and you have to ask for things by name and maybe the owner will bestow a bottle to you. :) 

34 minutes ago, DCFan said:

I'm amazed seeing the number of bourbons that are being treated as rare commodities as the months go by. When something as ordinary as VOB is being given "special" treatment it makes you wonder if we'll see the day when everything is behind the counter and you have to ask for things by name and maybe the owner will bestow a bottle to you. :) 

"Just one bottle of Benchmark is all I ask of you"...

32460533247_7fe99b5329_z.jpg

• I like it 3

The REAL hidden gems going forward has got to be the craft distillery stuff. The younger and smaller the barrel the better! A lot of em might have added coloring and flavor, isn’t that exciting. Sometimes you can even catch them on the clearance shelf. It’s so surprising people aren’t scooping em up. Harsh, acidic, and usually under $90. 

• I like it 5

The REAL hidden gems going forward has got to be the craft distillery stuff. The younger and smaller the barrel the better! A lot of em might have added coloring and flavor, isn’t that exciting. Sometimes you can even catch them on the clearance shelf. It’s so surprising people aren’t scooping em up. Harsh, acidic, and usually under $90. 

LOL!!! Great stuff!

2 hours ago, bourbon4all said:

SHHHHHHH!   Quieten Down You Idiot!   Everybody'll want in on this high demand, low availability stuff, and the costs will skyrocket!   Let's just keep this stuff our little secret, OK?

• I like it 1

CYPB at $350 is an extreme deal. If you can find it at that price grab it. If you cant find it, PEERLESS or KENTUCKY OWL are extremely underpriced for what they are. 

• I like it 3

My bargain/Value list:

Under $20 - VOBBiB, EW BiB (though I did not really care for the latter)

$20-25 - WT101, OF Sig, OF Rye. RIP W107

$25-$30 - ER

$30-35 - McKenna SiB; 4RSmB; EHSmB. 

$35-40 - WTRB, 4RSiB

My pick for current best extreme value is ECBP @ $42 but I know I am very fortunate to find it at that price.  

• I like it 1

Here’s a real bargain. I was at Lowe’s earlier today to buy some paint and painting supplies and as the cashier was ringing me up she tells me I can get $30 off today’s purchase if I applied on the spot for a Lowe’s credit card. She said it’d take 2 minutes. I said hell yes and 2 minutes later I was out the door having saved $30. What bourbon to spend that $30 on? :)

19 hours ago, DCFan said:

Here’s a real bargain. I was at Lowe’s earlier today to buy some paint and painting supplies and as the cashier was ringing me up she tells me I can get $30 off today’s purchase if I applied on the spot for a Lowe’s credit card. She said it’d take 2 minutes. I said hell yes and 2 minutes later I was out the door having saved $30. What bourbon to spend that $30 on? :)

AH! Bargain brands in VA ABC stores - As you well know, the VA ABC website lists some great ones on sale this month: EWB handles at $25, WT 101 750s at $25 (both plastic and glass), and my favorite - JB Vanilla 750s at $15.  You could get TWO of those.

Right now,  I'd say the "hidden gems" include Knob Creek Rye,  Old Forester Statesman and Rebel Yell 10-year single barrel.    There are also some hidden gems from the craft distillers,  too,  especially as more and more of them are putting out straights.    Here in Pennsy I'd steer folks toward David E straight bourbon, from Hidden Still,  and the straight and BIB versions of Dad's Hat rye (which are aged for proper amounts of time in full-sized barrels, not the little minis that some craft distillers use).    Also Southern Tier Straight Rye (from the Hudson Valley in New York),  which I was thoroughly enjoying yesterday afternoon (although that may have been because the Sixers beat the Bucks). 

8 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

AH! Bargain brands in VA ABC stores - As you well know, the VA ABC website lists some great ones on sale this month: EWB handles at $25, WT 101 750s at $25 (both plastic and glass), and my favorite - JB Vanilla 750s at $15.  You could get TWO of those.

You do like your JB, don't you?  ;) I'd be afraid to try a whole fifth of the JB Vanilla.  I'll have to see if they have a mini. 

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

You do like your JB, don't you?  ;) I'd be afraid to try a whole fifth of the JB Vanilla.  I'll have to see if they have a mini. 

WAIT WAIT WAIT !!!!!!  I was KIDDING about the JB Vanilla.  DON'T DO IT (unless you are under 30 YO.):D.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.