2019 Hidden Bargains / Extreme Values

callingtom
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

11 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

Right now,  I'd say the "hidden gems" include Knob Creek Rye,  Old Forester Statesman and Rebel Yell 10-year single barrel.    There are also some hidden gems from the craft distillers,  too,  especially as more and more of them are putting out straights.    Here in Pennsy I'd steer folks toward David E straight bourbon, from Hidden Still,  and the straight and BIB versions of Dad's Hat rye (which are aged for proper amounts of time in full-sized barrels, not the little minis that some craft distillers use).    Also Southern Tier Straight Rye (from the Hudson Valley in New York),  which I was thoroughly enjoying yesterday afternoon (although that may have been because the Sixers beat the Bucks). 

Agreed on RY10. Can't find it on shelves anymore but I've been getting some bottles on secondary for around $90. The two bottles I've tried have been great. A bargain compared to paying $400 for ORVW10. 

8 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Agreed on RY10. Can't find it on shelves anymore but I've been getting some bottles on secondary for around $90. The two bottles I've tried have been great. A bargain compared to paying $400 for ORVW10. 

Have to disagree on that one. Not only is it not a bargain, the bottles/barrels I have owned or tried have been terrible. Granted my sample size is small at 3 different bottles but I couldn't stand the stuff. It was $50 ish when it first came out and now I see it around $75 and pass. I wouldn't buy it if it were $20.

Virgin 101 7yr if it's available in your area. Also, for when you're in the mood for an 80 proofer, Dickel No.8 is plentiful and is not a bad option at around $15.

• I like it 2

Available, but maybe not everywhere. JTS Brown BIB. It runs the 10 to 12 buck rage. Also agree with EWBIB.

39 minutes ago, cdcdguy said:

Available, but maybe not everywhere. JTS Brown BIB. It runs the 10 to 12 buck rage. Also agree with EWBIB.

Nice....always wanted to be like Fast Eddie!

On 3/17/2019 at 5:00 AM, Vosgar said:

That's just insane :blink:

Maybe we should start talking up how wonderful Old Thompson is and see what happens......

I overheard another customer in a liquor store I visited a few days ago asking the manager about VOB. The manager told him it's on allocation here and the same people who ask about PVW ask about that. VOB has now become a name drop. ?

13 minutes ago, mosugoji64 said:

I overheard another customer in a liquor store I visited a few days ago asking the manager about VOB. The manager told him it's on allocation here and the same people who ask about PVW ask about that. VOB has now become a name drop. ?

Not sure it is that crazy here.  Just saw 4 cases VOB BIB sitting on shelf.  At $14 a bottle......now I am going back to buy a case, but that still leaves 3! ?

There must be a warehouse sale on MM around KC these days. You can find somebody somewhere advertising a 750ml bottle for $24 just about every week.

23 hours ago, Clueby said:

Have to disagree on that one. Not only is it not a bargain, the bottles/barrels I have owned or tried have been terrible. Granted my sample size is small at 3 different bottles but I couldn't stand the stuff. It was $50 ish when it first came out and now I see it around $75 and pass. I wouldn't buy it if it were $20.

We talking about Bookers here because this pretty much sums up my thoughts on that one.

Back on topic, while not as strongly opinionated as Clueby I thought RY10 was ‘meh’ (2 bottle sample size) and it’s a pass going forward for me as well. 

At $20 though, I’m a buyer. And actually I do try to swing back to certain bourbons that are highly acclaimed by many on here to see if my opinion changed. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.