New Riff Rye

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I saw bottles of this at a local yesterday. The label said it is bonded, at least 4 yrs old, and the mashbill is 95%rye, 5% malted rye, non chill filtered. Of course I was super intrigued, but at $47, I didn't pull the trigger. Anyone tried this?

I can say this unequivocally, 95% rye in the mashbill  from a famous Indiana distillery is my all-time favorite rye. I know I am going back and buying a bottle. 

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 1

• 2 months later...

I bought a bottle. It is, how should I put this, not stellar. I was anticipating a really strong rye flavor. Didn't get it. Lacks in depth for me.

It is a little smoother than a Bulleit rye and delicate on the alcohol side.  Missing the floral notes of a good rye.

Won't buy that one again. You try, you learn.

Edited by Oli77
typo

• 4 weeks later...

Coming back to it, and it is very smooth, has some character and details, I am not that disappointed any more.

Newbie palate..

still forming....

• I like it 1

I am not far into mine, a couple pours on different days. I find it reminds me most of WP10, the standard version not the BPs. I am pleased by that resemblance and I didn’t expect it, I expected something more akin to MPG. I like it a lot so far and look forward to familiarizing myself with this one more as I make my way through the bottle. 95/5 100% rye and NCF, I am now looking forward to also getting one of the BP versions but I don’t expect to cross paths with one anytime soon. Its a very welcome addition to my growing stable of ryes.

• I like it 2

• 6 months later...

I visited the New Riff Distillery for a tour and tasting in June 2019 & brought home their rye.  I just picked up another bottle in the fall.

Described by New Riff as:

"BOTTLED IN BOND WITHOUT CHILL FILTRATION
100% RYE (95% RYE, 5% MALTED RYE)
AGED AT LEAST 4 YEARS   -  100 PROOF"

Excellent rye - it has become one of my favorites.

Shell
image.thumb.png.e7ba0e26edae66eabf0b6a9652330e53.png

• 2 weeks later...

The single barrel/barrel proof’s are where it’s at with these.  Absolutely fantastic for their age. 

Tried their Balboa Rye (New Riff Whiskey Club Members only) at a friends house this weekend and it was really good.   Had a very long finish and is more fruit forward than the regular rye.  Really great contrast of spice ad fruit.  Highly recommend a taste if you can find one.

• I like it 1

I ended up trading my bottle of this.

I too, thought the Balboa Rye was superior to their regular rye. More depth and finish. Still not on my list to remember to buy more.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.