What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Spring 2019)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 minutes ago, Supercharger said:

I loved it when I first opened it. Bought two extras for the bunker. Went back five days later...two weeks later....four weeks later.....I just didn’t like it as much. Just overwhelming sweetness to me. 

PM me for my address...

all donations are tax deductible. 

LoL :)

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

I participated in an organized tasting Tuesday evening of (ONLY 3!!) samples of OWA, with 4-others in order to select a barrel for my local monger.   Fortunately two were very good, one of those had a little tannic note that made it interesting; but also made it a bit of an outlier for OWA, so the more traditional one was selected.   That one is pretty similar to the expected profile for OWA, with a bit more cinnamon, and somewhat better (longer) finish than usual, and a very rich nose.   The third sample had a grassy (one person thought: herbal) note on the nose as well as the palate, and fairly disappointing finish. 

Anyway, a fun time; and many other pours were available after the selection (ER 101 ...from about 1977?), though I limited myself, as I had an important meeting the following morning, for which I wanted to be clear headed.

No idea when the barrel will be bottled, shipped, and available for purchase; but, I imagine not before June.    The owner of the store for which the selection was done promised me a free bottle for helping them pick!  YAY!!!

• I like it 6

15 hours ago, hollywood said:

Could be... I’m wondering how much variation may be from bottle to bottle in flavor etc as well with this.. I’ve bought 2 from different LS... I’ve only opened the one..

There definitely is some variation, it's not night and day but it's the nature of using all stock from a single distilling season.

Short three day weekend for me. Starting with the store pick Blanton’s. Will move onto the Willett later on. 

09E9BAAE-B98E-40C6-956D-29F592D0F99B.jpeg

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Short three day weekend for me. Starting with the store pick Blanton’s. Will move onto the Willett later on. 

09E9BAAE-B98E-40C6-956D-29F592D0F99B.jpeg

I don’t know whether to be ticked with you rubbing it in with the 3 day weekend or not?! ;) Kudos, enjoy..

A little OE7yr, since it sounds like it's MIA most everywhere but here.  Debating if I should grab another bottle now or....  As if only 30+ gallons of Bourbon on hand is risky...

I've been enjoying my Stedman's Select value pour.  

This is my new choice for a lower proof bourbon.  It's keeping some stuff like this around that has allowed me to keep a small bunker collection.

Spring time in South Carolina. 9yr 9 mos KCSB. Kinda like this Willett glass. 

5CCB7267-99F7-4994-86F2-E34639934B20.jpeg

• I like it 1

5CCB7267-99F7-4994-86F2-E34639934B20.thumb.jpeg.86e2bd51f09b724466a4244bf603dc5c.jpeg

I’d be really jealous if I wasn’t heading to South Florida in 2 days. Love that hammock.

enhance
Found a place that stocks this regularly. 

Never seen one in the wild and it’s the expression I most want to try that I haven’t. Missing it, the BiB, and Sweet Wheat so far.

1 hour ago, Mako254 said:

5CCB7267-99F7-4994-86F2-E34639934B20.jpeg

That’s nice, but will be even better when you're out in that hammock with your new sleeping baby tucked like a football in one arm and the glass of Turkey in the other...  :)

Pro Tip:  Have the bottle with you, so you don’t have to risk waking him by having to get out of that contraption to get a refill...Momma won’t be able to get it for you...she’ll be upstairs getting a much needed nap, herself...;)

BTW, there is a high level of satisfaction achieved when you place the glass in some sort of stable area, grasp the bottle and uncork it, pour it, replace the cork, return the bottle to its station, without spilling it on your lap and waking the little one...ALL with your off hand...  :D

Dads here know what I’m talking about!

For me,  it’s a GBS WTRR in the glass tonight while listening to some NCAA B-Ball on the radio in front of a nice fire and H Upmann by AJF.

0FDFE205-16AB-4E41-BE71-67E7F590BF04.jpeg

• I like it 4

That’s nice, but will be even better when you're out in that hammock with your new sleeping baby tucked like a football in one arm and the glass of Turkey in the other...  [emoji4]
Pro Tip:  Have the bottle with you, so you don’t have to risk waking him by having to get out of that contraption to get a refill...Momma won’t be able to get it for you...she’ll be upstairs getting a much needed nap, herself...[emoji6]

BTW, there is a high level of satisfaction achieved when you place the glass in some sort of stable area, grasp the bottle and uncork it, pour it, replace the cork, return the bottle to its station, without spilling it on your lap and waking the little one...ALL with your off hand...  [emoji3]

For me,  it’s a GBS WTRR in the glass tonight while listening to some NCAA B-Ball on the radio in front of a nice fire and H Upmann by AJF.

0FDFE205-16AB-4E41-BE71-67E7F590BF04.thumb.jpeg.770257a6e1ac9d03861d1314f1223a59.jpeg

I’m drinking the same. How is that H Upmann to you? I went through a five pack and didn’t think I would buy them again.

A very generous pour of MM for $6 at dinner while on date night with the wife.
Following up with some EW SiB.
IMG_2513.jpg

Pour from my infinity bottle. Still just a mess. Maybe my palate just isn’t refined enough. It’s all flavors at once or I just get the individual bourbons I know are in there. Considering giving up on this project.

33 minutes ago, BigRich said:

I’m drinking the same. How is that H Upmann to you? I went through a five pack and didn’t think I would buy them again.

Been buying these by the single for several weeks, and enjoying.  I like it’s nuttiness.  BTW, you’ll be happy to know, I fired a low and in fastball of the end into the fire and did not get rejected by the grate...  :D

23E85F5B-C90C-492C-87FC-339A61060DCF.jpeg

Joining @Mako254 with a 10 yr PS KCSB. Although I’m in SC too I spent the evening shivering in a hoodie and coat at the ball park for the 3rd time this week. 

11 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

That’s nice, but will be even better when you're out in that hammock with your new sleeping baby tucked like a football in one arm and the glass of Turkey in the other...  :)

Pro Tip:  Have the bottle with you, so you don’t have to risk waking him by having to get out of that contraption to get a refill...Momma won’t be able to get it for you...she’ll be upstairs getting a much needed nap, herself...;)

BTW, there is a high level of satisfaction achieved when you place the glass in some sort of stable area, grasp the bottle and uncork it, pour it, replace the cork, return the bottle to its station, without spilling it on your lap and waking the little one...ALL with your off hand...  :D

0FDFE205-16AB-4E41-BE71-67E7F590BF04.jpeg

Pretty solid set up yourself!

Thanks for the tip. 

Up early this morning. Just putzing around the house while waiting for the grandkids to come over. Got my coffee

poured and decided to add a little BT Bourbon Cream to it. WOW! My Gevalia Chocolate Mocha coffee and BT Bourbon Cream go together  “mahhhhvelously”. :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

54 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Up early this morning. Just putzing around the house while waiting for the grandkids to come over. Got my coffee

poured and decided to add a little BT Bourbon Cream to it. WOW! My Gevalia Chocolate Mocha coffee and BT Bourbon Cream go together  “mahhhhvelously”. :P

Biba! Joe

I finally ran out of BC. It's been harder to find. Saw some a couple weeks ago in Illinois..$28...pass. Guess I'll have to go to Ezra Brooks version 

3 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Pretty solid set up yourself!

Thanks for the tip. 

H Upmann had a “Sun grown” wrapper that I really enjoyed a few years back. Enjoy. ;) 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.