What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Spring 2019)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Led out with 2 generous portions of EC SmB (bottle almost zeroed out), capping off now with my once archived dusty ‘02 Blanton’s.. 

38C774EB-8A99-4D4F-975B-193427EF619F.jpeg

• I like it 5

57 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

enhance

Aside from the great bottle, it's just not terribly special.  Reminding me of Charter 101 more than anything tonight...and that's not a good thing. 

I've heard that before, great looking bottle though, as you said.

enhance
Aside from the great bottle, it's just not terribly special.  Reminding me of Charter 101 more than anything tonight...and that's not a good thing. 

It’s been awhile since I’ve had a pour of RHF, so you made me break out my open bottle to refresh my memory. I’m really enjoying the pour, so either I’ve got a bottle from a better barrel or our palates like different things...or maybe a little bit of both. Having said that, I don’t think any of the BT mashbill #2 brands are worth paying much over retail for...but few bottles are ever really worth more than their MSRP.
  • I like it 3

9 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

It’s been awhile since I’ve had a pour of RHF, so you made me break out my open bottle to refresh my memory. I’m really enjoying the pour, so either I’ve got a bottle from a better barrel or our palates like different things...or maybe a little bit of both. Having said that, I don’t think any of the BT mashbill #2 brands are worth paying much over retail for...but few bottles are ever really worth more than their MSRP.

We’ve parted ways on the last two. I had always heard this was very close to Blantons. Blantons blows this away imo. I guess i could have a bad barrel but if i did its a really bad barrel. 

We’ve parted ways on the last two. I had always heard this was very close to Blantons. Blantons blows this away imo. I guess i could have a bad barrel but if i did its a really bad barrel. 

I think you’re just not a fan of bourbons that are more oak and char forward. The last two we’ve differed on have had more of the charred oak barrel presence in the taste profile with more tannins. They weren’t as sweet as many other bourbons, and had a dryer finish. I probably do like Blanton’s better than RHF, but they are different, and sometimes I’m in the mood for that.

On 3/20/2019 at 7:33 PM, fosmith said:

Nice deep color on this.  Looks like it's older than its 5-6 years.  Maybe they pick barrels from the upper floors of the warehouse? 

I agree, this looks older lately.  I wish I would have kept some of the stuff with the old label to judge against the new stuff.

I have no picture, but I have really been enjoying Old Ezra 7 Barrel Proof lately. I was indifferent at first, but allowing the bottle to open after a month or so has done wonders. Now if only I could find another bottle...

EDIT: Time flies, the bottle has actually been open 3 months now.

Edited by pouringwhiskey

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

I think you’re just not a fan of bourbons that are more oak and char forward. The last two we’ve differed on have had more of the charred oak barrel presence in the taste profile with more tannins. They weren’t as sweet as many other bourbons, and had a dryer finish. I probably do like Blanton’s better than RHF, but they are different, and sometimes I’m in the mood for that.

I dont know Jeff.. this was thin, hot and young tasting. I didnt get oak at all. But you are right, no sweetness either. Of course i’ll give it another look though.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

I dont know Jeff.. this was thin, hot and young tasting. I didnt get oak at all. But you are right, no sweetness either. Of course i’ll give it another look though.

Stop pouring it in your eyes then, silly...  :D

• I like it 3

47429277462_6654b8d9f0_c.jpg

Opening day tomorrow.  Never hurts to start early.  I'm really enjoying this one.  Definitely getting more.

47 minutes ago, JMFH said:

47429277462_6654b8d9f0_c.jpg

Opening day tomorrow.  Never hurts to start early.  I'm really enjoying this one.  Definitely getting more.

Hope it’s a Grand Slam! ;) I haven’t tried.. looks impressive FWIW..

A brother from a different mother, grabbed five on my way home.

It’s a hit or miss for me.
Wild Turkey 101 is always a hit

OGD BIB while finishing up some paperwork.  It may just be that I’m cranky working late, but I hate that creepy face that Beam changed to for “Basil Hayden” on this label a couple years ago.  Beam... PLEASE go back to the dignified and noble face that still adorns the 114, and is on Kevin’s cool lamp.  :D  

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 3

30 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

OGD BIB while finishing up some paperwork.  It may just be that I’m cranky working late, but I hate that creepy face that Beam changed to for “Basil Hayden” on this label a couple years ago.  Beam... PLEASE go back to the dignified and noble face that still adorns the 114, and is on Kevin’s cool lamp.  :D  

He is watching me from all over my place some of his twin brothers came to visit a little while back and didn't leave 

y4mhG0PjpGVjblcJNlOXCu3qjCY1XIwz2SfeVhc5

• I like it 3

30 minutes ago, BigPapa said:

Anyone try the Barrel Bourbon “Dove Tail”?
What’s your thoughts?

Is it worth 100.00?

Retail is $75 on that, I've only nosed it but I picked up a bottle. A cursory search of Winesearcher makes it seem like you could do better pricewise even if you had to ship it. https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/barrell+dovetail/1/usa?Xlist_format=&Xbottle_size=all&Xprice_set=CUR&Xprice_min=&Xprice_max=&Xshow_favourite=

Every once in a while a bourbon I already really like somehow kicks it up a notch or two in the flavor department. That's happening tonight with some AAA 10yr.

Couldn’t resist. I realized with regular MM CS that rolling around a little brings out ridiculous chocolate covered cherries. This has that but spicy up front and on the back end and a black tea note on the finish that’s kinda dry.
IMG_2521.jpg

I have the day off tomorrow... battle of the BIBs. I’ve been wanting to do this for a while.  Hopefully this will be tamer than the last blind testing with barrel proofers. These are all within $10 of MSRP around me so thought this will be interesting. 

57150017-9286-4B39-88E1-F953CD6C9AD4.jpeg

• I like it 4

13 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

I've never had a bad RHF.  Also never had a bad Blanton's.  But I have tasted bad ETL (the birthday version and one other regular version. 

RHF and Blanton's are still single barrels, so consider that anyway.  When I've done blind side-by-sides, I've chosen RHF over Blanton's Gold (similar in proof).  I can't remember whether we included regular Blantons's too, but I think we did and chose RHF.  

• I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Adam777 said:

I have the day off tomorrow... battle of the BIBs. I’ve been wanting to do this for a while.  Hopefully this will be tamer than the last blind testing with barrel proofers. These are all within $10 of MSRP around me so thought this will be interesting. 

57150017-9286-4B39-88E1-F953CD6C9AD4.jpeg

Great line-up and I agree it looks to be a fair fight.  Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.