What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Spring 2019)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 3/23/2019 at 6:43 PM, smokinjoe said:

This Jack Daniel’s Barrel Proof continues to hit every right button for me. 

CB22E060-DA87-4FDB-9A7F-DC13C0C42AD9.jpeg

Love the pic.  They might want to use that in a magazine ad.

On 3/25/2019 at 7:54 PM, markandrex said:

A brother from a different mother, grabbed five on my way home.

So that's where it all went.  Busted!

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Great line-up and I agree it looks to be a fair fight.  Be sure to let us know how it goes.

Each of these had their special qualities. I made notes of my ratings based on Nose, Palate and Finish which are evaluated equally. The finish is really important to me and all actually delivered. This was hard to score but here are the final results:

#1 - OF1897

#2 - EHTSB

#3 - HMK

#4 - 1792 BIB

OF hit all the right notes tonight and wow what an excellent finish. Around my area this product sells for $49.99 which is the most expensive out of the bunch in my market. Honestly EHT and HMK are toss ups. Both have a great balance are the best in their class. 1792 fell flat in some areas but the mouthfeel and finish were noteworthy. I had fun with it and will do it again.

• I like it 3

I went to a bourbon tasting over the weekend. There were about a dozen of us there and each brought 3 bottles or so to share. A great time was had by all and a very nice variety of bourbons were set on the table to sample.  I brought a CEHT 4g (2017) while someone else brought the 2018 version.  Some SBS's were done. Further testing is needed. :)  I also got to try Michters Toasted Barrel and New Riff. Wow, both had unique tastes that smacked you upside the head right off the bat. Further testing is needed. And saddens me to say it considering the hype it gets, I got to try ETL for the first time. Talk about a major letdown. I cannot believe there is a mad rush to acquire this bourbon when there is nothing there. Anyone who pays secondary prices for this one is delusional.

• I like it 3

Bought a bottle of WT101 this afternoon and enjoying a pour after finishing work for the day.  I bet I haven’t had this is two or three years. Made me think of Paul...he sure loved this stuff!

9 hours ago, DCFan said:

And saddens me to say it considering the hype it gets, I got to try ETL for the first time. Talk about a major letdown. I cannot believe there is a mad rush to acquire this bourbon when there is nothing there. Anyone who pays secondary prices for this one is delusional.

During its prime, ETL was a fantastic everyday pour.  It was just sitting on shelves, under $30.  Just like OWA, W12 and others. 

Like anything in taterville now, you can't find it, if you can it is overpriced, and if you buy it, you're likely to be let down.  And from what I gather, like many things bourbon, the recent bottles of ETL are not as good as the ones from 10 years ago or so.  I see that even with stuff like FRSB, where you just know that the bottles I have from years ago that were verified to be about 9 years old, are now probably much younger.  It does matter, and I can clearly taste the difference.  With ETL, I only have the bottles from years ago, and will enjoy them until they run out.

• I like it 3

Just now, jeffrey r said:

During its prime, ETL was a fantastic everyday pour.  It was just sitting on shelves, under $30.  Just like OWA, W12 and others. 

Like anything in taterville now, you can't find it, if you can it is overpriced, and if you buy it, you're likely to be let down.  And from what I gather, like many things bourbon, the recent bottles of ETL are not as good as the ones from 10 years ago or so.  I see that even with stuff like FRSB, where you just know that the bottles I have from years ago that were verified to be about 9 years old, are now probably much younger.  It does matter, and I can clearly taste the difference.  With ETL, I only have the bottles from years ago, and will enjoy them until they run out.

I've got an early 00's bottle open and the difference is quite something. 

Pouring a Baker's this evening, celebrating some good news at work! 

• I like it 3

Noticed the open hoard can be broadly organized into a few interesting explorations.

1. Brown-Forman: OF86p, OF100p, OF1920, WR, OF Rye

2. The Flock: WT101, WTKS, WTRB, RR10, WT101-2002 dusty

3. Trip to Islay: Laga 12 & 8, TJs Islay Storm, Ardbeg 10.

4. Funky Jamaica Rums: S&C, Appleton 12, Ministry bottling.

5. Sweet Rums.

6. Unpeated Malts.

7. Cats and Dogs. "...and a twelve year old apple brandyyyy". 

A pour of FRSB. Their regular edition.  Have yet to really seek out the other variations or personal selections.  This one seems just fine.

3 hours ago, jcg9779 said:

Bought a bottle of WT101 this afternoon and enjoying a pour after finishing work for the day.  I bet I haven’t had this is two or three years. Made me think of Paul...he sure loved this stuff!

Great to see you here again, Jack!

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Great to see you here again, Jack!

Thanks Gary, it's been a while!  How you been, buddy?

Been awhile since I've drank from this bottle, some very nice juice.

uLt4fGN.jpg

• I like it 1

I’m having a nice pour from a newly opened bottle of ET BIB this evening after yet another long day of working on my yard/landscaping. I’ve been hesitant to open this bottle because it was my last. Fortunately, one of my local stores got a case in, so I bought a couple of bottles today. I’m pretty happy ‘cause this is tasting mighty good tonight. :)

Biba! Joe

18 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

EC sbs while watching basketball. 

20190328_202815.jpg

You need another EC bottle then to hit your “3 pointer”! ;) 

7 minutes ago, hollywood said:

You need another EC bottle then to hit your “3 pointer”! ;) 

I know it! 

The wife and I just moved. I had taken some of my stash to the mother in law's while we were showing our other house. One of the bottles I took there was a handle of rear age stated EC12. I'm looking forward to trying these 2 against that. 

Just now, JCwhammie said:

I know it! 

The wife and I just moved. I had taken some of my stash to the mother in law's while we were showing our other house. One of the bottles I took there was a handle of rear age stated EC12. I'm looking forward to trying these 2 against that. 

Recently, I’ve got into the EC SmB.. (Enjoying some now) EC12 just falls short for me.. The new found love for the SmB though makes me REALLY want to try the BP! It’s INSANELY high here, so hoping to pick some up on my next road trip out of state.. Enjoy my friend! :) 

8 minutes ago, hollywood said:

Recently, I’ve got into the EC SmB.. (Enjoying some now) EC12 just falls short for me.. The new found love for the SmB though makes me REALLY want to try the BP! It’s INSANELY high here, so hoping to pick some up on my next road trip out of state.. Enjoy my friend! :) 

It's crazy how much ECBP varies from state to state. Here in MO if I see it on a shelf it's at least $80. When I've traveled to other states I've gotten it for $50-$65. 

It's a whole different animal than EC SmB. 

49 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

Been awhile since I've drank from this bottle, some very nice juice.

uLt4fGN.jpg

That's bottle number 3315, I have several of them and they are good.. Enjoy

Just now, JCwhammie said:

It's crazy how much ECBP varies from state to state. Here in MO if I see it on a shelf it's at least $80. When I've traveled to other states I've gotten it for $50-$65. 

It's a whole different animal than EC SmB. 

I figured.. however I prefer higher proofs normally and was hoping for at least a similar profile to the SmB then coupled with a greater octane making the best of both worlds.. for me.. ;) 

8 minutes ago, LCWoody said:

That's bottle number 3315, I have several of them and they are good.. Enjoy

KbYXW8N.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.