What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Spring 2019)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

41 minutes ago, BigPapa said:

Does oxygen hurt the 1.75 Wt101 ?
I am always afraid of buying a big bottle for that reason .
I know your answer will be.... drink it faster. But just asking

I honestly dont know. I'll go through quite a bit faster than more expensive bottles. I have a bottle SFTB that I've had opened for almost 2 years, there's roughly 1/2 of it gone, and I dont believe it has changed any. 

• I like it 2

I had my yearly review at work today. Surprisingly, it went much better than I expected. :wacko: Looks like I’m safe for another year. (Unless I can find a way to retire before next April). I’m celebrating with a couple of healthy pours of the current VBT. :P

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

JB Distiller’s Masterpiece after an easy day at work, and an easy run at the park afterward. 

EE3E4033-4286-4232-952C-2CFAB2818C2A.jpeg

• I like it 4

New Riff single barrel just replaced an empty EC A119. Loved the EC enough to put 3 more in the bunker. Will have to do some experimenting to see if any more New Riffs head in that direction. Young, but tasty for a 4 year.  Neat first than with Vya vermouth, Woodford Angostura bitters and a dash of maple syrup and an ice ball.

Cheers...

KC SmB 100 tonight.. Don’t let the JDSiB glassware confuse you.. My 2nd pour of the night and had to post on “another” thread first lol. :) I didn’t want to wash an additional glass! ;) 

F8695C5F-45B9-4DAB-A775-F2AF63E214E1.jpeg

• I like it 2

STILL working down the bunker clunkers.  Tonight, I opened a craft 750 (non-KY SBW, but just barely) I picked up in 2017 but forgot about and poured a measured 2 OZ.  After finishing ONE OZ. (which was no easy task), I made room in the bunker by pouring the rest of it out - glass AND bottle.  It was the only safe thing to do.  Rinsing my mouth with JB Dist Cut.  It's helping.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

STILL working down the bunker clunkers.  Tonight, I opened a craft 750 (non-KY SBW, but just barely) I picked up in 2017 but forgot about and poured a measured 2 OZ.  After finishing ONE OZ. (which was no easy task), I made room in the bunker by pouring the rest of it out - glass AND bottle.  It was the only safe thing to do.  Rinsing my mouth with JB Dist Cut.  It's helping.

Sometimes that's the only option. On to better things!

Eagle Rare, pugs, and a cigar on the patio this afternoon before the storms started.

4-17-19.thumb.png.41fdf6ea07afbd5e04389334ed5e9623.png

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

No need to pour it out.  You could use it to clean windows or paint brushes...

• I like it 1

Opened this tonight and enjoyed first pour. I haven't tried all the famous limited releases (pappy, btac, etc) but this is my favorite whiskey I've had and a steal for the $50 price tag. 

5EB6EBBA-5117-44B5-9506-F76F6B13CA64.jpeg

1 hour ago, FatherOfPugs said:

Eagle Rare, pugs, and a cigar on the patio this afternoon before the storms started.

4-17-19.thumb.png.41fdf6ea07afbd5e04389334ed5e9623.png

My man, Cohiba, yes!! Right on, well done! That could be battery acid in that glass and would’ve paired up nicely! The ER a much better choice however. ;) Carry on....

• I like it 1

53 minutes ago, MTNBourbon said:

Nice little pour.

qI4QYzi.jpg

MTNB, I had the newer version of this last night, quality pour but I didn’t enjoy as much as I remembered drinking many bottles of this one of yours. I’ve got 2 bottles of the newer and hoping this one spreads it’s wings after a bit or the other is a little better example.. I was a little disappointed..

• I like it 3

10 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I honestly dont know. I'll go through quite a bit faster than more expensive bottles. I have a bottle SFTB that I've had opened for almost 2 years, there's roughly 1/2 of it gone, and I dont believe it has changed any. 

What I do when I get a 1.75 is decant it into two old 750's

• I like it 1

On 4/16/2019 at 8:59 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

I'm done for the night as tomorrow is going to be tough - have to go with my wife to the grocery store.

Ha.  My wife and I do our grocery shopping together every week.  With the two young kids to boot.  I dread it each week so much.

But wife and I eat totally different things so we get our own food.  Yep, we each have different meals almost every night also.  Usually four different meals for four different people.  Dinner time is a struggle.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, dcbt said:

Ha.  My wife and I do our grocery shopping together every week.  With the two young kids to boot.  I dread it each week so much.

But wife and I eat totally different things so we get our own food.  Yep, we each have different meals almost every night also.  Usually four different meals for four different people.  Dinner time is a struggle.

That would drive me insane!

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, TimeWillTell said:

Opened this tonight and enjoyed first pour. I haven't tried all the famous limited releases (pappy, btac, etc) but this is my favorite whiskey I've had and a steal for the $50 price tag. 

Four or five year? Can’t make it out. 

9 hours ago, TimeWillTell said:

Glad to hear its a good pour. I am curious about this one but hardly consider the 50.00 price point a steal so,  it remains to be seen just how curious I get.  Also a friendly reminder, we have a Rye forum here on SB and this post would look great there!! ?. Cheers.

20 hours ago, hollywood said:

My selection last night... ;) 

Such an awesome shot, the color is wonderful...

8 hours ago, Supercharger said:

Four or five year? Can’t make it out. 

Four year. Still looking for the 5 year. Sorry I need to work on my camera skills like JMFH!

7 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Glad to hear its a good pour. I am curious about this one but hardly consider the 50.00 price point a steal so,  it remains to be seen just how curious I get.  Also a friendly reminder, we have a Rye forum here on SB and this post would look great there!! ?. Cheers.

Thanks sir, I'll keep the rye forum in mind next time!

I should provide context regarding my "steal" comment. If I was drinking purely on absolute value, I'd never stray from the new OF Rye or WT101.  That said, is WFE Rye 3x better? Idk, that's hard to quantify.  However, in today's climate I have been forced, for better or worse, to adjust my scale of relative value. So for $45 I get KCSiB Rye picks which are solid (I've had 5 different ones), or for $55 I get RRSiB Rye (I've had 4 different ones) or for $65 KC Cask Rye,  or $75 WP10 or $85+ WPSiB10. When looking at those, the WFE4 Rye is, to me and maybe me alone, a good value. 

22 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

STILL working down the bunker clunkers. 

Lmao!

”bunker clunkers”

I love it. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.