What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Spring 2019)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 4/28/2019 at 9:51 PM, JakeySnakes said:

Opened and drinking a small pour. Initial reaction is very good, really digging the long finish. Will probably pick up a second bottle.

IMG_1611.jpg

Another bottle I haven't seen in Indiana.  I guess I need to get out more.

Toured Jack Daniel’s distillery for the first time last week.  Very nice, by the way.  They had this Tennessee Tasters “High Angel Share Barrels” Tennessee Whiskey” for the tasting, and enjoyed it so much that I bought a couple in the gift shop.  It’s from a grouping of barrels that had excessive Angels share loss during their 5 years of aging.  Deep russet color, and big and bold burnt sugar and caramel notes.  Little to no banana undertones.  107 proof.  A really good Daniel’s iteration. 

C19BE360-84D5-4FAE-BCE6-1544F5428276.jpeg

• I like it 8

6 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Toured Jack Daniel’s distillery for the first time last week.  Very nice, by the way.  They had this Tennessee Tasters “High Angel Share Barrels” Tennessee Whiskey” for the tasting, and enjoyed it so much that I bought a couple in the gift shop.  It’s from a grouping of barrels that had excessive Angels share loss during their 5 years of aging.  Deep russet color, and big and bold burnt sugar and caramel notes.  Little to no banana undertones.  107 proof.  A really good Daniel’s iteration. 

Uh, Joe.......for just buying that bottle last week there seems to be a lot of it gone already. Is it that good or did the Angels take some after bottling? :)

• I like it 2

Now drinking a 4R SiB.  As someone mentioned in the other thread the SmB Select does have a profile similar to a mix of 4R and WT.  It keeps growing on me.

7 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Uh, Joe.......for just buying that bottle last week there seems to be a lot of it gone already. Is it that good or did the Angels take some after bottling? :)

Damn Troyce...  :D

4 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Damn Troyce...  :D

LOL, that could certainly explain what happened to him last Saturday night!

1 minute ago, Vosgar said:

LOL, that could certainly explain what happened to him last Saturday night!

Heehee!  He’s a good man, but he ain’t no Angel!!  :D

Back on track....

I love having bourbon after some pasta with a good marinara sauce. The sweetness I always get in my whiskey makes it like a dessert. Tonight it's the same WT 8yr 101 I had last night, but it's kicked up to an 11

• I like it 1

IMG_3229.jpg
This is really good stuff. Impressed thus far. Sort of MGPish to my taste.

• I like it 1

The other day, got into JD Single Barrel Select.  I thought it was interesting, but as sweet as pecan pie filling.  Next pour was WT 101 and it tasted all wrong.

Tonight I started with the WT and it tastes great.

I also had a similar experience; JB Distiller's Cut after VOB BIB didn't work.

I do like all these, but order matters.

Edited by PaulO
  • I like it 1

A sbs with two really nicely priced, wonderfully tasting store picks while taking in some Blues hockey. The EC has a bigger nose, more depth, and lingers a bit longer. The BT is definitely sweeter. 

20190503_210728.jpg

• I like it 2

Started with a RHF neat and moving on to Blantons and finishing the night with ETL.

Watching my terrible Rangers and waiting for the Stars to play

Cheers!

5EED7EC0-AB31-491F-8E27-DE6628DAA2F4.jpeg

162A16FC-F0F2-4162-B861-604495B82B77.jpeg

• I like it 3

Getting warmed up for the Derby tomorrow.  Mint julep made with Woodford Reserve.  We took a "behind the scenes" tour of Churchill Downs a couple of weeks ago, so this seems apropo. 

20190503_212734.jpg

20190412_133146.jpg

• I like it 3

The new Oath— the rum cask finish seems a bit superficial in a Balvenie Caribbean Cask sort of way, but it’s growing on me. 

02DC8085-5114-4025-934D-38D961A24778.thumb.jpeg.2159c49c5c948caf113bafab61cbd14c.jpeg

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Golferpimp1 said:

IMG_3229.jpg
This is really good stuff. Impressed thus far. Sort of MGPish to my taste.

New Riff mash is 30% rye... and a former MGP distiller is involved as a consultant as well. So a lot of finger prints/ carry over. 

Bottle for me, bottle for Nathan. Dad stuff. 

11370953-05DF-4AED-89CC-8E2EED651455.jpeg

• I like it 6

On 4/20/2019 at 8:09 PM, Soberiquet said:

I actually really like that stopper, and the fact that it seals so tightly.

Late to the thread so humor me -- Is it as "bad" or "good" as the OGD BIB stopper?  Us old fahts have trouble twisting it out the first time.  More than once, I've had to go get one of those soft plastic mesh pads for old folks to get the damn thing out.  After that first time, though, it gets easier.  Why I ask?  I won't buy NR unless I know I can get it open without cramping up my hands.

EDIT - Oh, yeah - the what I drinking thread.  Earlier while doing laundry (which is MY job), I had one short JD SiB BP (the latest release - bottle's in the other room so I can't list rick etc. info) and a couple hours later a basic BT while reading #5 in Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series, and now, while getting psyched up to do the dishes (another of my jobs), I'm having a short pour from my orange-capped OGD BIB bottle newly filled from a fake cork bottle. 

Edited by Harry in WashDC

BT PS for openers. Watching The Rangers & The Bluejays in extra innings .

Cheers 

Rangers lose again......Sigh. 

Onto CEHT SB. Much better than Rangers baseball. 

Cheers

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Toured Jack Daniel’s distillery for the first time last week.  Very nice, by the way.  

JD was my first distillery tour ever (before I'd ever been to Kentucky) and that tour is what really piqued my interest and started the process that converted the Jack 'n Coke dude from my college and post-college days into the mature Straightbourbon'r that I am today.  ?

• I like it 2

31 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Booker's.  When I'm in the mood, nothing else will do.

It doesn’t strike me often but when it does it is with a fury. 

• I like it 3

8 minutes ago, Mako254 said:

It doesn’t strike me often but when it does it is with a fury. 

Kinda the same here.  It used to be in my frequent regular rotation, but lately I've strayed to other things to discover.  I sometimes forget how much I really dig Booker's.

• I like it 3

Onto 2017 4R SmB LE. This batch is underrated IMHO. 

Hail to the Cult!

Cheers

• I like it 3

Night Cap of RRSiB PS.  An Oklahoma pick. 

Cheers

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.