What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Spring 2019)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

12 hours ago, Clueby said:

That Willett 1.75 always sits back there.  It's such a space hog.  The bottle is cool.  I just wish the whiskey inside was as good.  The W12 1.75 and ETL were stashed away at work but we were in danger of getting flooded so I took them home last week.  I have no room in the cabinet for them currently.  Trying to find a home for them.  There is already a floor cabinet, a box in my closet, and another in the basement in addition to the "display" cabinets and bar top.  I need some consolidation.  I picked up another bottle of that batch of ECBP yesterday since that one is going down quickly.

And, re: the Blues....if you saw that game last night.  GRRRRRRR  :angry:  Felt like downing the rest of that bottle after that one.

I agree the Willett bottle is a space hog, but I think the bourbon has a very useful purpose. On its own it's ok. As a blender it's great. Being light bodied with not much complexity, it truly enhances full bodied, complex, well balanced whiskeys. It brings out well hidden flavor notes in those other whiskeys without changing their base flavor profile. The plus being, your full bodied bourbons that you get more flavor(s) out of last longer.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Bret Bret said:

I agree the Willett bottle is a space hog, but I think the bourbon has a very useful purpose. On its own it's ok. As a blender it's great. Being light bodied with not much complexity, it truly enhances full bodied, complex, well balanced whiskeys. It brings out well hidden flavor notes in those other whiskeys without changing their base flavor profile. The plus being, your full bodied bourbons that you get more flavor(s) out of last longer.

What have you had the best luck in blending with the pot still?

15 hours ago, JMFH said:

SBS with '14, '16 & '18.  Yes, I'm off work tomorrow.

Any differences between the two bottlings of 116.8?

Never mind.  Just saw that you already answered the question... 

Edited by fosmith

5 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

Have not tried that.  That 1.75 is not even open right now.  I had a couple 750s in the last few years.  There wasn't anything wrong with them per se.  They were just " light bodied with not much complexity" as you noted.  I remember back in the day when it was still a single barrel that there was some pretty good whiskey in that bottle sometimes.

7 hours ago, TimeWillTell said:

What have you had the best luck in blending with the pot still?

Mostly high proofs like McKenna BIB, Stagg jr, ECBP at a 50/50 mix. Really like it with the straight Jos Magnus at less Magnus and more Willett.

A wee OF Statesman at the Delta Club. Bringing my daughter to the BTS concert in NJ, so I’ll need it— and then some. 

31F7F4DC-8DEA-4D51-88D4-AC542145EFF6.thumb.jpeg.e3e66ebc1ee72ca641fc258b001005d3.jpeg

• I like it 1

I did a blind sbs of a WT101 and BT tonight, figuring they’re  comparable-level entries within each distilleries’ line (I added two small drops of water into the WT to bring the proof closer together). Thought the WT101 was miles ahead in nose, palate, feel, finish, everything. The BT was just so thin and muted in comparison. And young tasting. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy it and will gladly sip it whenever it’s offered, but in the scheme of things it’s really rather run-of-the-mill IMO. Which is somewhat odd, given it was the first bourbon to really get me hooked on America’s spirit.... anyway, Happy Friday and Happy Sippin’!

• I like it 3

Baker’s in the hotel room— after all the recent conversation about the current iteration’s demise ...

EC0B2344-5F73-4662-866D-D9DE80CA5269.thumb.jpeg.545dc13e976c955f6a09ac33eda96f8f.jpeg

• I like it 6

9 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

I did a blind sbs of a WT101 and BT tonight, figuring they’re  comparable-level entries within each distilleries’ line (I added two small drops of water into the WT to bring the proof closer together). Thought the WT101 was miles ahead in nose, palate, feel, finish, everything. The BT was just so thin and muted in comparison. And young tasting. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy it and will gladly sip it whenever it’s offered, but in the scheme of things it’s really rather run-of-the-mill IMO. Which is somewhat odd, given it was the first bourbon to really get me hooked on America’s spirit.... anyway, Happy Friday and Happy Sippin’!

We Turkey heads are nodding in agreement. 

• I like it 4

Since I picked up more CEHT SmB & WTKS today I'm enjoying a pour of each and I'll finish it up with my new bottle of 4R SmB Select.

• I like it 2

A few thoughts on these 3. Started with CEHT, followed with WTKS & finished with 4R. They are all close in proof 100, 101 &104. 4R is like regular Smb except on steroids. Still has the fruitiness of most 4R stuff. I like that it's NCF. The WTKS is a little more spicy but good. The CEHT though is everything I want in a bourbon. They're all good but CEHT is my winner.

• I like it 1

Both are great. WT101 was my first bourbon love but I had my aha moment drinking BT. The nose is great on BT, it’s more dry than most BT offerings which I really like compared to products like ER which I don’t care for. It really just depends on my mood.
  • I like it 1

Sipping some CEHT SB after watching the Yankees win in the bottom of the 9th.  Good juice

I'm enjoying these tonight.

You can never wrong with WT101

20190517_233001.jpg

• I like it 3

18 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Both are great. WT101 was my first bourbon love but I had my aha moment drinking BT. The nose is great on BT, it’s more dry than most BT offerings which I really like compared to products like ER which I don’t care for. It really just depends on my mood.

That’s the thing, I’m definitely preferential to ER, and also CEHT. But the regular BT doesn’t hit the mark for me. I like the house profile, but the regular BT just doesn’t hold up to similarly priced pours. Same with WSR...  BT gave me quite an a-ha moment too when I was getting in to it. So I feel ya on that

Edited by BigSkyDrams

That’s the thing, I’m definitely preferential to ER, and also CEHT. But the regular BT doesn’t hit the mark for me. I like the house profile, but the regular BT just doesn’t hold up to similarly priced pours. Same with WSR...  BT gave me quite an a-ha moment too when I was getting in to it. So I feel ya on that

Ha yeah I’m odd, I think CEHT is too hot and maybe young tasting, ER to much of that cheery note, WSR isn’t bad but I think plain ol BT is the best. Maybe I should give Benchmark a go.

18 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Ha yeah I’m odd, I think CEHT is too hot and maybe young tasting, ER to much of that cheery note, WSR isn’t bad but I think plain ol BT is the best. Maybe I should give Benchmark a go.

Different strokes and all that... If you can find AAA 10* I think that’s better than Benchmark! 

Different strokes and all that... If you can find AAA 10* I think that’s better than Benchmark! 

Been years since it’s been around here, if I do it’s an instant buy.

It’s a fine day here, Down South with a little Yella Label fresh from the freezer...  :)

CEB37A92-4E94-459C-B50D-DC2463360D17.jpeg

• I like it 8

2 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

It’s a fine day here, Down South with a little Yella Label fresh from the freezer...  :)

I tried this again last week, and as a fan of YL I gotta say it just doesn't work for me. All the flavor disappears.

16 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Where you at?  It's hotter than Hades in Atlanta right now and the air conditioning at the Georgia Tech pool ain't working!  That frozen bottle looks better and better - might have to fall in the pool soon (accidentally of course).   Did someone say International Whiskey Night???   ?

• I like it 2

Just killed a SAOS 11y 53.8% tonight, time to open a new one ?

Cheers! 

Will. 

• I like it 2

32 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Cheers, Joe!! Lookin' good. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.