What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Spring 2019)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

EWBIB it just hits the right spot for me at the moment.

IMG_1097.JPG

Edited by anthony. g.
poor pic quality
  • I like it 3

21 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

In another thread, 0895 kinda questioned my being a Weller whore when I posted about opening a ps bottle of EC<_<  To put an end to an "odd' week, and to also celebrate the start of a three day weekend, the Weller ladder shall be climbed this evening. :P Let there be no doubt. ;)

Biba! Joe

Ha!

Questioned?  Never!

I just can't help myself.  Sometimes I have to poke the bear.

I see 2017 WLW in your lineup.  There are just no words.  I struggle to think of things I've tried that are better.  Probably why yours is so low.  :)

On 5/23/2019 at 9:30 PM, JakeySnakes said:

Opened and drinking. First little pour is very tasty!

IMG_1686.JPG

Oh, that stuff is delicious!  Toasted marshmallows in a bottle.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

Ha!

Questioned?  Never!

I just can't help myself.  Sometimes I have to poke the bear.

I see 2017 WLW in your lineup.  There are just no words.  I struggle to think of things I've tried that are better.  Probably why yours is so low.  :)

Hey, ya’ gotta have some fun. As has been said before, “If you aren’t having fun, you ain't doing it right.”

The 2017 WLW is pretty darned good. That’s one reason why my bottle is low. The other reason it’s low is because I don’t feel so bad if I finish this one,  ‘cause I have a backup in the bunker.  :D

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Rooting through (or organizing as I told my wife) the bunker today, I found the John J. Bowman and decided an impromptu tasting was in order.

I realize these are all single barrel products, and your milage may vary, but this is more about Saturday fun, and less about science.  All 3 were poured and left to sit out approximately 15-20 minutes, resulting in the following personal observations:

Blantons Gold Edition, 103p.  2017 dump date.

Aromas of fresh caramel apples mixed with what I describe as "that familiar BT damp basement thing".  Low alcohol vapors/fumes, easy on the nostrils.

First sip is mostly like it smells: caramel apple.  Fairly one dimensional, light and easy sipping.  The green apple jolly rancher candy thing comes in on the end and it finishes with a gentle but firm hug.

Rock Hill Farms, 100p.  2019 dump date.

Smells like delicious caramel candy and vanilla.  Slight vapor/nostril burn masks the BT familiarities described above.  At the end, I get the green apple just a bit.

This bourbon smacks your taste buds instantly with strong caramel and vanilla that lingers right through the middle and for awhile after the end.  I didn't quite realize it was gone, as the finish just keeps going.  Very well balanced.  No, better than that.  This is just damn delicious!  The best RHF I remember ever tasting.  Yeah, I drank the whole glass before moving on, and I'm likely going back after I finish tasting the JJB.

John J. Bowman, 100p.  2018 dump date.

Reliably rumored to be BT mash bill #2 run through Bowman's still one more time before barreling.  This smells strangely familiar yet drastically different than the other two.  The initial sniff is rich and complex (compared to the other two) with caramel with vanilla layers.  The damp basement smell is there, but it's more of a pleasant? thing in this bottle.  Wow, I could sniff on this all day.  The sip is as rich and complex as the nose, a caramel tornado, with debris of vanilla flying around it.  Mid palate some slight baking spices and cinnamon show up, but only for an instant.  The familiarity from other BT mash 2 products is there, but this is a different animal.  The hug is gentle and this bourbon finishes beautifully.  Crap, I forgot all about how good the RHF is...

So, at the end I went back to the Blanton's gold, and it's still there, just being it's green apple-ey average self.  I historically like Blanton's gold very much, but this particular bottle is downright boring compared to the other two. 

Final results:

1:  Rock Hill Farms

1.25:  John J. Bowman 

3:  Blanton's Gold  Bronze? Edition

EC3CA48B-2696-45DF-8078-AD4957E1052B.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 7

Enjoying a glass of PVW 20 while out to dinner with the wife. 

D8E7338E-FE53-457C-95B8-60880784DC43.jpeg

• I like it 6

Old Forester Rye.

The more I drink it, the more it's taking over Rittenhouse, as my favorite cheap rye.

20190525_185021.jpg

• I like it 1

27 minutes ago, JGriff said:

Cheers y’all.  

3C03C707-4123-4C8A-9C87-60B6832A91ED.jpeg

If there was a "Love" button, I'd hit it, repeatedly!

1 minute ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

If there was a "Love" button, I'd hit it, repeatedly!

❤️

• I like it 1

I'm not crazy about ER10, but with a splash of Stagg Jr,  it's really, really good.

Full disclosure: not my idea, someone on SB posted that they did this, and liked the it. I have both on-hand,  so I gave it a shot, and am very pleasantly surprised with the result...hats off to whoever that is...

20190525_195334.jpg

• I like it 3

Took another pass at the 'new' 4-R Small Batch Select.    I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first taste in Bardstown, then a second pass a couple weex back had me still wondering exactly what to make of it.    This time, I'm pretty sure I still like it well enough to acquire a back-up, and I think I understand it better, now as well.    One thing I found for sure today is that it takes a little water very well, and even rounds off and mellows a bit, which doesn't hurt it at all.   I had found It to be a bit less than well-integrated, and the water helped it come together. 

Another of us loved it down in B'town, a different one of us wasn't in love and thought it a bit of a mess. 

Many thought it was "pretty good"; but, in comparison with some of the single recipe picks it fell short for the cheddar asked.    Remembering the cost of those back in the day, I wouldn't necessarily disagree; but, nowadays those can be almost $30 bux more than they once were, and they aren't that swingin' most of the time (at least from what I've read, and the few I've tasted in the last year and a half). 

So, I have to say; it it isn't a bad deal for the $55 I gave for it.    I enjoyed it quite well, especially after adding a little water.

Edited by Richnimrod

While smoking a whole chicken (ON THE GRILL, NOT IN A PIPE!!) for 3 hours today following 3 hours of heavy yard work (bush stump removal), I decided to sip on some diluted bourbon instead of beer so I wouldn't fall asleep.  Pulled down Virgin 101, poured out two generous ounces and added 2 fridge ice maker cubes (taking the proof down to about 85).  Lemme say this about that - I find Virgin 101 to be okay and usually worth sipping now and then but not something I crave.  HOWEVER, imagine my surprise at how much this slightly better than average bargain brand opened up with the cubes.

Why the cubes instead of a pour from a freezer bourbon?  Wife took my freezer bourbons out so she could get some spare rib slabs in there.  Who am I to argue about THAT!?

• I like it 3

Drinking an Old Weller Fashioned. 

1 Oz WSR

1 Oz OWA

4 drops Angostura Orignal

Clementine peel

1/2 TSP Brown Sugar

1 ice cube

Put in shaker. Shake for 20-30 seconds. Pour over large cube. 

Edited by Supercharger

Blanton's Gold, followed with CEHT SmB. 

Hoping all of my fellow SB-Okies are safe tonight. Prayers for those families who lost loved ones tonight.  Way too many tornados tonight. 

Prayers 

Edited by Wedelstaedt
Deleted content
  • I like it 1

15 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'm not crazy about ER10, but with a splash of Stagg Jr,  it's really, really good.

Full disclosure: not my idea, someone on SB posted that they did this, and liked the it. I have both on-hand,  so I gave it a shot, and am very pleasantly surprised with the result...hats off to whoever that is...

Great idea!  Would like to try this.  Approximate proportions?  TIA

2 hours ago, fosmith said:

Great idea!  Would like to try this.  Approximate proportions?  TIA

Not sure....it's mainly ER...probably ~ 2 oz and just a splash of Stagg Jr.

AD9B80DA-04BF-443D-BAEE-1D0F245A222A.thumb.jpeg.e4bd4c51a14d4d735f5777ab986aefbe.jpegSlowly killing this one. Cheers! 

Will.

Edited by Masset1982
Forgot the picture
  • I like it 4

A little ETL, some easy sipping after a day of bike riding and grilling.

IMG_6799.JPG

• I like it 2

Some 2013 OWA tonight. There's quite a difference to a current bottle. I mean it's still OWA but more brown sugar with a cinnamon finish and a really oily feel. Little to no burn. Could guzzle this stuff.

20190526_213023-784x1613.jpg

• I like it 2

Today started early with our weekly shopping that we didn’t get to yesterday.  When we got home from shopping, it was yet more yard work/landscaping. I’m rewarding myself with the last couple of pours from a bottle of 2017 WLW.  No pics tonight. Maybe tomorrow. I’m too freaking tired. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Today started early with our weekly shopping that we didn’t get to yesterday.  When we got home from shopping, it was yet more yard work/landscaping. I’m rewarding myself with the last couple of pours from a bottle of 2017 WLW.  No pics tonight. Maybe tomorrow. I’m too freaking tired. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

I lied. Got my second wind. ;) One down, and one up. Bye bye 2017. Hello 2007. :P

Biba! Joe

wlw.jpeg

• I like it 7

34 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I lied. Got my second wind. ;) One down, and one up. Bye bye 2017. Hello 2007. :P

Biba! Joe

wlw.jpeg

BOOM!!!!!!!

I lied. Got my second wind. [emoji6] One down, and one up. Bye bye 2017. Hello 2007. [emoji14]

Biba! Joe
wlw.jpeg.f470aab24d52799da30fcb3926fa755e.jpeg

Darn! A healthy pour as well, cheers to you.

20 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Not sure....it's mainly ER...probably ~ 2 oz and just a splash of Stagg Jr.

Thanks for the idea.  Tried this last night and really liked it.  Probably upped the proof to around 100 which is where I wish ER would be bottled at. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.