What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Spring 2019)

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Ya know...I think I like it. 

42104ECD-D9FE-4A9B-A154-224C5C6EA3EF.jpeg

You should get some candles to go with it...  “ambiance”

• I like it 2

7 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Early thoughts on Early Times? Nose, hint of corn syrup and vanilla along with wet dog? Wet dog might just be me smelling my upper lip.

Palate and finish, short, nothing offensive, easy sipping but nothing really going on. First try so I need to spend more time with this bottle. Guess you can’t ask much for $23 a liter. Definitely different from from Jack and OF where I get the banana note. Was hoping for a OF Sig with the great banana on the nose and palate.

IMG_6807.JPG

+1 for screw cap and cool label

Try one small ice cube in your pour. 

Also, use an old fashioned type “open” glass 

; )

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 1

Do you guys use the same glass when you transition to a different bottle or do you re-use the same glass?

53 minutes ago, jwperry said:

Do you guys use the same glass when you transition to a different bottle or do you re-use the same glass?

I always try to use a different, clean glass. But I am weird, so you have to take that into consideration as well.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, jwperry said:

Usually rinse and refill if it's  a different distillery.

If it's the same distillery, I usually just top load, exceptions being something fairly high end.

Try one small ice cube in your pour. 
Also, use an old fashioned type “open” glass 
; )

Maybe I’ll try a rocks glass with a little water. That being said it’s a 100 proof if it can’t hold up to a Glencairn neat not sure if this is going to help. It’s not that if drinks hot.

6 hours ago, jwperry said:

Unless I'm moving from something with a ton of smoke & peat (like Laphroaig), I just rinse with a bit of water and re-use.  

• I like it 3

7 hours ago, jwperry said:

I used to be finicky about washing out the glass, but now I just pour into the empty glass without doing anything.

7 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Maybe I’ll try a rocks glass with a little water. That being said it’s a 100 proof if it can’t hold up to a Glencairn neat not sure if this is going to help. It’s not that if drinks hot.

I dunno if it will help you enjoy it any more or not, I was more just sharing that I really enjoyed it that way, even though Im mostly a glencairn neat drinker. 

I find myself often narrow minded to only drinking a certain way, but sometimes, certain pours are strangely better to me out of my comfort zone. 

:)

11 hours ago, 0895 said:

You should get some candles to go with it...  “ambiance”

This cracked me up...

My buddies place.  I’m sure his wifey had something to do with it. :D

• I like it 1

Unless I'm moving from something with a ton of smoke & peat (like Laphroaig), I just rinse with a bit of water and re-use.  

Exactly what I do.

17FF2253-0055-4CB0-882C-9EA8AEBE487E.thumb.jpeg.bb45bf2b28ff79a3727a6119d2b688e1.jpeg

After a few pours of SOAS 10y single barrel (trying to kill this one to have an excuse to open a new one), and 1.5 liters of water, still a little buzzed by those pours but but I’m allowing myself a last one. Cheers! 

Will.

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

Exactly what I do.

I'm picturing Bardstown . . . if I changed glasses . . . I'd either need to bring 20 glasses (and wash most of them every night), or I'd risk bodily harm in having to make too many trips to wash glasses later in the evening :lol: 

• I like it 4

Thanks guys. I've traditionally used a rocks glass (what I had) but recently came into a pair of Canadian Glencairn glasses. My previous MO was simply to pour into the glass without rinse or wipe out and go. Sometimes if I wasn't interested in finishing a pour, I'd put the glass in the freezer to pick the next evening...

Anyways, with the Glencairns I started noticing more aroma from the different whiskeys and started noticing some of the aroma blending when I'd switch to a different pour. 

Or maybe my two month long sinus infection is finally clearing up and I've forgotten whiskey smelled like before? 

19 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Early thoughts on Early Times? Nose, hint of corn syrup and vanilla along with wet dog? Wet dog might just be me smelling my upper lip.

Palate and finish, short, nothing offensive, easy sipping but nothing really going on. First try so I need to spend more time with this bottle. Guess you can’t ask much for $23 a liter. Definitely different from from Jack and OF where I get the banana note. Was hoping for a OF Sig with the great banana on the nose and palate.

IMG_6807.JPG

+1 for screw cap and cool label

This has hit SC too so I picked it up, but haven’t opened it yet. You’re the 1st meh review I’ve heard about it. They can’t all be WT 101; 23 bucks and delicious. 

• I like it 1

This has hit SC too so I picked it up, but haven’t opened it yet. You’re the 1st meh review I’ve heard about it. They can’t all be WT 101; 23 bucks and delicious. 

No sorry not meh and the wet dog comment was my upper lip or something other than the bourbon which I didn’t pick up later when I came back to it.

It’s good, nothing offensive but no wow factor. I Shouldn’t expect much from this. That being said for something with comparable specs I’d rather have EWBIB white or for instance the new JB Distillers Cut.

Odd that I didn’t get any banana with this which I seem to get with every other Brown Forman bourbon.

Willet distilled 5 year bourbon. This was a barrel pick from last year @ my local major liquor store.

I was curious and I wish I hadn’t spent the $100. It tastes like I’m sucking on a black tea bag.   

I should have spent the moolah on some more Wild Turkey. ?

Edited by mal00768
  • I like it 5

On 5/29/2019 at 6:54 PM, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Ya know...I think I like it. 

42104ECD-D9FE-4A9B-A154-224C5C6EA3EF.jpeg

Went back to this tonight.  I still like it.  The finish seems a little more prominent this time around (not a bad thing).   

• I like it 1

Sorry for the double post.  Had some Russell's Reserve 10 year last night.  Need a delete post button...

Edited by JMFH

This has been the longest short work week, so I needed something nice to pick me up. Finishing off the last of a 4R PS OESO that I absolutely love. I get some really nice sweet, aromatic wood notes in the finish. Been nursing this one for 2 years, wish I had a backup.

• I like it 1

Having some WTRB 116.8p tonight. I poured a glass and it didn't do anything for me. (I almost poured it out) So I let it sit and ate supper, and came back to it. And their it was, good 'ol WT..... Ahhhhhhh, I guess sometimes you have to let it breath. (or my taste buds were out of whack.) ?

On 5/29/2019 at 4:25 PM, Vosgar said:

I'm just amazed at how much I like this whiskey. IIRC, this is a Heaven Hill bourbon that David Sherman bought (now Luxco), and this is a much better barrel than the 2005 bottle I had a few years ago. That one was decent but fairly bland. 

EzraB.jpg

It was about 4 years ago or so that I found this little liquor store off the beaten path outside Seattle (which is incredibly hard to do).

The old guy working the register, who was not the owner, but who was a bourbon drinker, turned me on to this one as he told what a sleeper and value it was. 

I remember going through a bottle pretty quickly. I think I have two more stashed deep in a cabinet.

I wasn't savvy enough at that time to recognize that I should have stocked up.

About a year or so later is when Heaven Hill announced that EC12 was losing the ages statement.

Pretty much a day later, the local distributor for the Luxco products marked this up to $60.

It was a sad day. Should have stocked up!

On 5/29/2019 at 7:26 PM, jwperry said:

Same glass.

If the profile of the new whiskey is going to be vastly different from the previous, I will pour a tiny bit in, swish it around, and drink it to remove any trace of the previous whiskey.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.