Whiskey in Costa Rica?

BottledInBond
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Has anyone been to Costa Rica lately? I’m heading there next week and am wondering if I’ll need to bring bottles with me or if we will be able to find anything there. I hate putting whiskey in checked bags so I’m thinking I might need to just buy some at the duty free so I can bring it in my carry on instead, but if there are indications that I can find whiskey there, I might not bother. 

https://www.amazon.com/LeeMark-100ml-Alcohol-Liquor-Bottle/dp/B01BLRVR0M/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=leemark+dental+100+ml&qid=1553208157&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spell

Best travel flasks ever.  Plastic, no risk of breaking.  Exactly 100 ml so can be carried on and still a nice size pour.  Inexpensive/disposable.   Can bring a variety of samples for vacation or some special pours.  I've taken as many as 12 in my carry on in a ziplock.  No problems.  I also will bring a glencairn or two packed in an empty EH Taylor Tube, but I am a bit overboard. :)

Glencairn also offers a nice travel case for a pair at a quite reasonable price given the quality…

IMG_0690.thumb.jpg.d7c7e1d3abfb17b9af8d47fdac0ebbcb.jpg

• I like it 2

If you’re flying into Liberia, get your whiskey at the duty free before you depart. The airport duty free in Liberia has nothing to offer.

I don’t know what hotel you’re staying at, but mine had JD and Jim Beam. That’s it. It was all inclusive, so perhaps that was also a factor, though i’ve stayed in other all inclusive hotels that just had you pay extra for premium stuff.

Assume your experience will be comparable to mine and make sure you’re covered.

CR does have liquor stores that are serviceable, but don’t expect them to have what you’re looking for.

5 hours ago, DeepCover said:

If you’re flying into Liberia, get your whiskey at the duty free before you depart. The airport duty free in Liberia has nothing to offer.

I don’t know what hotel you’re staying at, but mine had JD and Jim Beam. That’s it. It was all inclusive, so perhaps that was also a factor, though i’ve stayed in other all inclusive hotels that just had you pay extra for premium stuff.

Assume your experience will be comparable to mine and make sure you’re covered.

CR does have liquor stores that are serviceable, but don’t expect them to have what you’re looking for.

Yes we are flying into Liberia. We are renting a house not staying at a resort, hence the specific need to bring or buy whiskey at a store. I think another guy in the group is bringing some good whiskey so that helps. I can usually get Blanton’s at the duty free at my home airport so I’ll probably do that for part of the solution. Regardless of what we drink, I’m going to get 6 nights by the beach with no parenting responsibilities, so I’ll be good one way or another 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.